Moving files creates duplicates

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
pergelator

Moving files creates duplicates

Post by pergelator »

New installation of Linux Mint on external USB hard drive. In an older version (Serena, I think), when you dragged a file icon (in the Files program) to a different directory, the file was moved. Now it makes a copy and stores it in the new directory. Can this behavior be changed? I looked in the menus but didn't see anything.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Flemur
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Moving files creates duplicates

Post by Flemur »

pergelator wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 8:57 am New installation of Linux Mint on external USB hard drive. In an older version (Serena, I think), when you dragged a file icon (in the Files program) to a different directory, the file was moved. Now it makes a copy and stores it in the new directory. Can this behavior be changed?
If you drag/move a file to a different partition, some software makes a copy instead.
I looked in the menus but didn't see anything.
Try rt-click->"Cut"; then "Paste" into your destination.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?
all41
Level 19
Level 19

Post by all41 »

Try holding down the Shift key while you drag and drop.
Everything in life was difficult before it became easy.
trytip
Level 14
Level 14

Post by trytip »

huh? what desktop and what file manager. when i move files from my Desktop to Downloads for example they are moved not copied. i have the latest updates with mint 19.3 cinnamon and nemo file manager
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Post by smurphos »

Nemo, Caja and Thunar's default dnd behaviour varies depending on whether you are dnding within the same partition (Move) or between different partitions (Copy) as mentioned by Flemur.

Holding shift as you drop will always force a copy rather than a move, holding Alt as you drop will give you a choice
Last edited by smurphos on Wed Feb 19, 2020 3:29 am, edited 2 times in total.
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.
pergelator

Post by pergelator »

Yes, I can use cut and paste, and holding down a special key might work as well, but that's not what I want.
What I want is to change the default behavior so I don't have to make extra motions.
I'm using the Cinnamon package so I'm using whatever file manager comes in that package. It looks like the same one I was using in Serena.
One thing that might have some bearing is that I am booting off of an external USB drive. The old hard drive is still in the PC, connected and operating, but I'm not using it. All the files I am moving around are on the external USB drive.
trytip
Level 14
Level 14

Post by trytip »

if your installed OS is on external USB that might be why dragging files/folders copies instead of moving. i have not heard of any option to make files movable on demand
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Post by smurphos »

pergelator wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 7:13 pm All the files I am moving around are on the external USB drive.
Just to clarify - the drag and drop destinations are both in the same partition on the USB drive? Are you moving files around your home folder or trying to move files from another part of the file system to your home or similar. If you don't have write permission on the source directory/file then drag and drop will always copy aswell.
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.
pbear
Level 16
Level 16

Post by pbear »

pergelator wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 7:13 pm What I want is to change the default behavior so I don't have to make extra motions.
I'm using the Cinnamon package so I'm using whatever file manager comes in that package. It looks like the same one I was using in Serena.
One thing that might have some bearing is that I am booting off of an external USB drive.
External drive doesn't matter. I have many versions of Mint installed on USB drive. Which desktop and which file manager matters a lot, of course.

Are you doing this with extra pane view? Don't see how the problem arises otherwise. If so, maybe this will be good enough. Go to Edit > Preferences > Context Menus. Tick the box for Move to (I'd recommend ticking Copy to also). Now when you right-click an item, you'll get the option to move (or copy, if you take my suggestion). FWIW, Mate/Caja has those options on the Edit menu, but every file manager is different.

If that's not good enough, you could try rooting around with dconf-editor.
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Post by smurphos »

pbear wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 2:46 pm External drive doesn't matter.
It probably does when it's actually a live USB - viewtopic.php?p=1764214#p1764214

:wink:
pbear
Level 16
Level 16

Post by pbear »

Not a difference in how Nemo operates, though.

By the way, checking Cinnamon 18.3, drag-and-drop in dual pane view works the same way, i.e., copies rather than moves.
Don't have Cinn 18.1 installed anywhere, and not going to just to test this, but doubt it was different.
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Post by smurphos »

pbear wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 3:28 pm Not a difference in how Nemo operates, though.

By the way, checking Cinnamon 18.3, drag-and-drop in dual pane view works the same way, i.e., copies rather than moves.
Don't have Cinn 18.1 installed anywhere, and not going to just to test this, but doubt it was different.
As mentioned default drag and drop behaviour in dual pane, or between file manager windows or from file manager to Desktop or vice-versa is dependent on whether the source and destination are on the same or different partitions and also on whether the source is writable by the user.

This is the same in Nemo, Caja and Thunar. Also the same in Windows for that matter. It's same in 18.3 and 19.3.

The reason i think a Live USB may be relevant is an untested hypotheses that the writability of any particular source directory by the default live session user may be different from an installed system.

Return to “Beginner Questions”