[SOLVED] just open the bloody text file

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Pepper-Mint-Patty
Level 5
Level 5

[SOLVED] just open the bloody text file

Post by Pepper-Mint-Patty »

Just reinstalled Mint, i know it is possible but can't find the way how to get DEFAULT all the 100s Mint txt files opened without the bloody popup shown everytime.
Attachments
execu.png
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
If guns don't kill, then OxyContin doesn't either, heroin isn't addicitve and fairy tales are real.
19.2 Cinn, Nemo
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Re: just open the bloody text file

Post by Moem »

Crude language and zero useful information... does this approach normally give you good results? :roll:

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
JoeFootball
Level 13
Level 13

Post by JoeFootball »

Pepper-Mint-Patty wrote: ... can't find the way how to get DEFAULT all the 100s Mint txt files opened without the [redacted] popup shown everytime.
The reason why it's happening is because the text file in question appears to be marked as executable, as most files marked as such are intended to be executed, not edited.

As to why all your text files are apparently marked as executable, I can't say. Perhaps you know otherwise.

If you were to remove the executable permissions, does the popup still persist?
Pepper-Mint-Patty
Level 5
Level 5

when in properties/ permission/ execute is deselected the same file will open normally.
If guns don't kill, then OxyContin doesn't either, heroin isn't addicitve and fairy tales are real.
19.2 Cinn, Nemo
JoeFootball
Level 13
Level 13

Post by JoeFootball »

Pepper-Mint-Patty wrote: when in properties/ permission/ execute is deselected the same file will open normally.
Then that's indeed why you're getting the popup. Your text files are marked as executable. I would not be able to say why. Were you doing anything with chmod or similar?
Pepper-Mint-Patty
Level 5
Level 5

JoeFootball wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 9:17 am ... Perhaps you know otherwise.

If you were to remove the executable permissions, does the popup still persist?
Sadly i dont have a bloody clue.

when in properties/ permission/ execute is deselected the same file will open normally.

Do you honestly suggest we have to open EACH files properties etc to get it properly working? :shock:
19.2 Cinn, Nemo
Pepper-Mint-Patty
Level 5
Level 5

JoeFootball wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 9:35 am Were you doing anything with chmod or similar?
??? never heard about such a thing...
19.2 Cinn, Nemo
JoeFootball
Level 13
Level 13

Post by JoeFootball »

Pepper-Mint-Patty wrote: Do you honestly suggest we have to open EACH files properties etc to get it properly working? :shock:
Again, I do not know why all your text files are marked as executable, but you have proven that is why the popup is occurring. With that in mind, yes, each of them would have to be reverted.

In your file manager, if you selected the multiple text files in question, could you set them all to not be executable at once?
Last edited by JoeFootball on Wed Feb 26, 2020 9:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
JoeFootball
Level 13
Level 13

Post by JoeFootball »

Pepper-Mint-Patty wrote: ??? never heard about such a thing...
Then I shall not suggest using it to resolve your current disposition.
Pepper-Mint-Patty
Level 5
Level 5

All the text files were original made in Mint. Then bu and replaced after clean install Mint again. And now this happens...
19.2 Cinn, Nemo
Flemur
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Flemur »

JoeFootball wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 9:17 am The reason why it's happening is because the text file in question appears to be marked as executable, as most files marked as such are intended to be executed, not edited.
On my goofy system, pcmanfm only offers to execute the file if it's +x AND (filename ends in .sh OR first line = #!/bin/bash).
Edit: IIRC, text files tend to get marked executable on ntfs partitions ... fix with mount options?
Last edited by Flemur on Wed Feb 26, 2020 9:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Pjotr »

Pepper-Mint-Patty wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 9:36 am Sadly i dont have a bloody clue.
Well, it's the consequence of something that you must have done yourself, mate. No bloody doubt about it. We all have our moments of PEBKAC; this is yours. :lol:

Using chmod would be the quickest way to try to reverse this, but that tool can be a bit tricky in the hands of the inexperienced. So I advise to proceed as JoeFootball advised.
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
JoeFootball
Level 13
Level 13

Post by JoeFootball »

Pepper-Mint-Patty wrote: All the text files were original made in Mint. Then bu and replaced after clean install Mint again. And now this happens...
I am unaware of a way to create text files as executable by default, so I suspect something changed their permissions subsequent to then and to what you're experiencing today. As to what that specifically was, I do not know.
JoeFootball
Level 13
Level 13

Post by JoeFootball »

Pepper-Mint-Patty wrote: Then bu and replaced after clean install Mint again.
Ah, see the note that Flemur had made. Did you backup these files to a NTFS partition prior to replacing them in the new LM system?
Pepper-Mint-Patty
Level 5
Level 5

JoeFootball wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 9:43 am In your file manager, if you selected the multiple text files in question, could you set them all to not be executable at once?
yeah if i handpick select the files i can remove the allowing. But that is not much of a solution having them in every folder. The only thing thts shown is: type: Text (text/plain)
19.2 Cinn, Nemo
Pepper-Mint-Patty
Level 5
Level 5

JoeFootball wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 10:00 am Ah, see the note that Flemur had made. Did you backup these files to a NTFS partition prior to replacing them in the new LM system?

Flemur! you are bloody right! I did the bu on a ntfs hd.... :shock:
19.2 Cinn, Nemo
Pepper-Mint-Patty
Level 5
Level 5

Flemur wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 9:51 am Edit: IIRC, text files tend to get marked executable on ntfs partitions ... fix with mount options?
What do you mean by mount options?
19.2 Cinn, Nemo
Flemur
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Flemur »

JoeFootball wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 10:00 am
Pepper-Mint-Patty wrote: Then bu and replaced after clean install Mint again.
Ah, see the note that Flemur had made. Did you backup these files to a NTFS partition prior to replacing them in the new LM system?
I was thinking they were ON an NTFS partition and changing the mount options would help, but I just tested and you're right: if you copy text files from USB NTFS partition (mounted with whatever options you get by default), they end up marked executable on the ext4 filesystem.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?
JoeFootball
Level 13
Level 13

Post by JoeFootball »

Pepper-Mint-Patty wrote: I did the bu on a ntfs hd.... :shock:
Mystery solved, but sadly does not resolve your current state. For what it's worth, I would have never suspected NTFS would do that, but I don't work with Windows resources much.
JoeFootball
Level 13
Level 13

Post by JoeFootball »

Flemur wrote: ... I just tested and you're right: if you copy text files from USB NTFS partition (mounted with whatever options you get by default), they end up marked executable on the ext4 filesystem.
How convenient of NTFS. :?

Return to “Software & Applications”