Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
iaindewar
Level 1
Level 1

[Solved] Tricia Stopped Booting

Post by iaindewar »

Hi all,
I've been using Mint successfully for the last 4 releases and my latest is an upgrade to 19.3 tricia. It has worked perfectly on two laptop machines since upgrade however recently both machines have become a little glitchy with regard to boot and shutdown. They now sometimes hang on shutdown and need powering off to get going again, and now my Samsung RV515 can't get past the login screen, it accepts the password but just keeps returning to the login screen. Both machines only have the Linux operating system. Any suggestions?
Cheers
Iain
Last edited by karlchen on Wed Mar 04, 2020 4:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Marked thread as solved on behalf of Iain, who confirmed that the problem had been solved below: https://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?p=1770146#p1770146
There has to be a better way!
Pierre
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Tricia Stopped Booting

Post by Pierre »

which Desktop are you using ?.

as the PCs get older, the latest version, is not always the best version,
and you may be better off, in moving to an lighter Desktop, as well.

since I'd moved from the Gnome Desktop, some years back,
and now mostly use the Mate Desktop, on my various PCs these days.
:D
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
iaindewar
Level 1
Level 1

Post by iaindewar »

Hi Pierre, I am using the Cinnamon desktop, and it has worked very well on both computers up to now. It may be significant that both laptops encountered the glitch at the same time, I'm wondering if it was something to do with the an update? Both are set to automatically install critical updates and have performed very well until now. Its the first time I've had any problems with Mint so I'm a little nervous about trying things I don't fully understand!
Cheers
Iain
karlchen
Level 21
Level 21

Post by karlchen »

Hello, Iain.

About the Samsung RV515 machine:
iaindewar wrote:
Sat Feb 29, 2020 6:42 am
[...] now my Samsung RV515 can't get past the login screen, it accepts the password but just keeps returning to the login screen.
Whenever the graphical login screen accepts the password, but then quickly returns to the login screen, then usually either of 2 causes applies:
  1. The root filesystem / is 100% full, thus preventing the system from creating or extending needed temporary files.
    or
  2. The files $HOME/.ICEauthority and $HOME/.Xauthority are corrupt. (Actually, it could be just one of them or both.)
In order to find out whether one of the 2 reasons applies in your case as well, please, proceed like this:
  • When the graphical login screen appears, do not enter your password, yet.
  • Instead switch away from the graphical login screen to the first console monitor by pressing the keyboard shortcut <Ctrl><Alt><F1>
  • Here you will be prompted to log in by typing your username. Next you have to enter your password.
  • Provided you have entered your login credentials correctly, you will be greeted by the command prompt, which is the $.
  • Check whether a filled filesystem is your problem by executing the commandline: df -h | egrep "^/dev/|Filesystem".
    In case one of the filesystems is at 100% usage, 0% free space left or very close to it, please, report here so and let us know which filesystem is affected.
  • In case a filled filesystem is not your problem, try to solve the second potential cause by deleting the 2 files, which had been named above.
    Removing these files will never do any harm, because they will be recreated automatically, when logging in to the graphical login screen later on.
    Please, execute the commandline rm .ICEauthority .Xauthority Note that both filenames start with a dot.
Now switch back to the graphical login screen by pressing the keyboard shortcut <Alt><F7>. - If <Alt><F7> does not work, try <Alt><F8> instead.
Now enter your password in the graphical login screen.
Does the graphical desktop start up and appear on the screen? Or are you returned to the graphical login screen within a few seconds still?
In the first case, your problem on the Samsung RV515 has been solved. In the second case, well, it sadly has not been solved, yet.

Best regards,
Karl
Last edited by karlchen on Fri Jul 10, 2020 9:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Amended command [ df -h | grep "^/dev/" ] to [ df -h | egrep "^/dev/|Filesystem" ], because it will then display the column headers as well
Linux Mint 19.3 64-bit Cinnamon, Total Commander 9.51 64-bit
Haß gleicht einer Krankheit, dem Miserere, wo man vorne herausgibt, was eigentlich hinten wegsollte. (Goethe)
iaindewar
Level 1
Level 1

Post by iaindewar »

Hi Karl,
Many thanks for the detailed solutions, problem solved! The root filesystem was only at 18% so I tried the second scenario and that worked, it must have been a corrupted file. I will perform the same tests and solutions on my other laptop which showed the same symptoms. Many thanks again for your help.
Kind regards
Iain :D
GreggeryPeccary
Level 1
Level 1

Re: [Solved] Tricia Stopped Booting

Post by GreggeryPeccary »

Hi Karl,

Many thanks for your reply above, I had the same issue after .Xauthority etc got corrupted somehow. In my case I was trying to enable SysRq interrupts enabled and working, and somehow I got thrown in a loop. Deleted the files you named above along with 2 empty files I found, .Xauthority-c and .Xauthority-l did the job.

As an aside, it seems that different keyboards have different procedures for getting SysRq to actually work, and I'm still struggling with this.

GP

Return to “Installation & Boot”