Have NAS connect at boot via fstab

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Have NAS connect at boot via fstab

Post by altair4 »

Is there any way to put that launcher thing into fstab?
No.

CIFS in fstab is to mount a servers share. You cannot mount an entire server - only one of its shares. If you have 5 shares you need 5 lines in fstab.

When you run your launcher it is not mounting all those shares it's simply displaying all the shares available for you to mount.

WHat I do not understand is why when you connect to one of those shares and enter the user name and password and select Remember Forever it doesn't work.

All of those saved passwords should show up in seahorse which would make connecting to one of those shares in the future seamless.
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
muffybean
Level 5
Level 5

Post by muffybean »

WHat I do not understand is why when you connect to one of those shares and enter the user name and password and select Remember Forever it doesn't work.
Yes altair when I initially started to do this, opening calypso in network.
3-calypso..png
The first one is afp://calypso.local/, 2 is smb://calypso.local/ and 3 is ftp://calypso.local/ Despite checking remember forever, 1 and 2 did not do this. 2 has started since I have done this fstab thing. I actually created a post viewtopic.php?f=90&t=304136 in which you responded. Looking at it again I have installed seahorse. BTW, the Synology settings link you pointed to me in the post are actually set.

Just opened Seahorse and see that all three protocols are now stored in there with username and passwords!
Running Linux Mint MATE on 2 desktops + Linux Mint Xfce on Netbook + Cinnamon VM on 3rd Desktop
muffybean
Level 5
Level 5

Post by muffybean »

I am now happy with the setup and have customised my desktop.
rename-shortcuts..png
rename-shortcuts..png (68.09 KiB) Viewed 1573 times
Now 1 labelled Synology is the fstab link that mounts my calypso.local/data folder and 2 is the launcher that opens caja smb://calypso.local showing all my folders in my NAS. As you can see I have customised the icons. However, I would like to rename the fstab one from Synology to Synology-Data This would make it clear as to which one I want to use. Is this possible?
Running Linux Mint MATE on 2 desktops + Linux Mint Xfce on Netbook + Cinnamon VM on 3rd Desktop
AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

Post by AndyMH »

Right click on the icon and select rename.

Where did you get the icon you are using for calypso?
Thinkcentre M720Q - LM21.3 cinnamon, 4 x T430 - LM21.3 cinnamon, Homebrew desktop i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0
muffybean
Level 5
Level 5

Post by muffybean »

AndyMH wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 6:28 am Right click on the icon and select rename.

Where did you get the icon you are using for calypso?
I tried right clicking the synology one that is generated by the line in the fstab file but the rename bit is greyed out. Can rename calypso but I am happy with that.

As for the icon I have attached two I got here.
Attachments
Synology-2.jpeg
Synology-2.jpeg (3.44 KiB) Viewed 1545 times
Synology-215j.jpeg
Synology-215j.jpeg (6.24 KiB) Viewed 1545 times
AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

Post by AndyMH »

Second one is better - transparent background
Thinkcentre M720Q - LM21.3 cinnamon, 4 x T430 - LM21.3 cinnamon, Homebrew desktop i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Post by altair4 »

I would like to rename the fstab one from Synology to Synology-Data This would make it clear as to which one I want to use. Is this possible?
For an fstab mount to something under /media the resulting desktop icon label is the same as the name of the mount point folder. If you want the label to be synology-data then you have to create a mount point with that name:

Unmont the share:

Code: Select all

sudo umount /media/synology
Create the new mount point:

sudo mkdir /media/synology-data
Edit /etc/fstab and change the mount point from /media/synology to /media/synology-data so that it looks like this:

//calypso.local/Data/	/media/synology-data	cifs	credentials=/etc/samba/credentials,uid=1000,gid=1000	0	0
Then do the systemd 2-step:

sudo systemctl daemon-reload

sudo systemctl restart remote-fs.target
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
muffybean
Level 5
Level 5

Post by muffybean »

Thanks altair that worked fine. I now have an empty Synology folder in media now, is it ok to delete that?
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Post by altair4 »

Yes. But please make sure it is empty before you delete it.
muffybean
Level 5
Level 5

Post by muffybean »

altair4 wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 11:11 am Yes. But please make sure it is empty before you delete it.
It was the first thing I checked. Thanks kindly your advice and thank you to Andy.
AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

Post by AndyMH »

You might prefer this one:
Synology.png
Synology.png (6.3 KiB) Viewed 1465 times
I've stripped out the background and resized to 96x96 and saved as a png. Better as a desktop icon.
muffybean
Level 5
Level 5

Post by muffybean »

AndyMH wrote: Sun Mar 01, 2020 6:57 am You might prefer this one:
Synology.png
I've stripped out the background and resized to 96x96 and saved as a png. Better as a desktop icon.
Yes that is a lot better. Thanks for the upload.

Return to “Networking”