So which are the 'best' browsers for 2020 (according to you)?

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Re: So which are the 'best' browsers for 2020 (according to you)?

Post by Moem »

LFrazier wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 4:03 pm Now I had Waterfox Browser installed, and Waterfox Browser was working correctly, but Waterfox Browser deleted itself
There is a good and popular PPA here: https://github.com/hawkeye116477/waterf ... t-download

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
Justin Time
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Justin Time »

I haven't used Windows since Linux. That's been about 12 years now.

My personal preference is Chromium. It's not Google Chrome. I'm guessing it's a version of it. It works great for me and I never have any problems with it.

I know LM comes with Firefox loaded on it. IMO... Firefox has too much garbage on it. Stuff I never use and is probably why it runs SO slow.l

That's my 2 cents 8)
Minux1
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Minux1 »

How many ways can you say “Firefox”?
Best cross-platform (Windows, Mac, Linux) I’ve ever used.
Hope it stays that way.
No such thing as 100% open source or 100% secure.
minteer
Level 1
Level 1

Post by minteer »

Personally, I prefer those browsers Google Chrome, Brave Browser
Mozilla FireFox, Microsoft Edge then comes the others

Update: Firefox is improving every day and I would recommend to try it again. Download
Last edited by minteer on Sat Oct 29, 2022 4:37 pm, edited 10 times in total.
Pepper-Mint-Patty
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Pepper-Mint-Patty »

ZakGordon wrote: Tue Mar 03, 2020 8:09 am ... (whereas i just see privacy issues mostly)
When it comes to privacy issues you are not done by just using 'another' browser. There is a lot to tweak and add on in FF.
It starts with the insulting default google searchengine.

For more info see this excellent German tutorial https://www.kuketz-blog.de/empfehlungsecke/#firefox
If guns don't kill, then OxyContin doesn't either, heroin isn't addicitve and fairy tales are real.
19.2 Cinn, Nemo
WHVW
Level 5
Level 5

Post by WHVW »

Pepper-Mint-Patty & All

Well, I wanted to read that article, but I cannot read or speak German. Looking it over, it did mention " U-Matrix" favourably, which is an add-on I have used for a long time, and [b]" Google nicht nur die Privatsphäre"[/b] seems to be confirming my negative view of Google.
Yes, you are right defaulting to Google as your search engine is insulting. Doing something like that makes you wonder if Mozilla has any concept of privacy at all.

Later
Pepper-Mint-Patty
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Pepper-Mint-Patty »

WHVW wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 8:19 pm Pepper-Mint-Patty & All

Well, I wanted to read that article, but I cannot read or speak German.
All addons mentioned are linked so wont be too difficult to find the eng version.
https://www.deepl.com/translator may help as well
If guns don't kill, then OxyContin doesn't either, heroin isn't addicitve and fairy tales are real.
19.2 Cinn, Nemo
pebcak
Level 4
Level 4

Post by pebcak »

LFrazier wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 4:03 pm My Answer For "So which are the 'best' browsers for 2020 (according to you)?"
Thank you for this article!
JerryF
Level 16
Level 16

Post by JerryF »

Chrome and Chromium. I like having the syncing capabilities for Android and Linux with my Google account.
BG405
Level 9
Level 9

Post by BG405 »

I'm sticking with Waterfox for the foreseeable future. It has the sync capabilities I need and I can use my essential (for me) add-ons. I do have Firefox as a back-up but hate what Mozilla have done to the user interface. Ugly and unintuitive icons etc. aren't my cup of tea. I'm also, like some of you, not exactly comfortable with Mozilla's "relationship" with Google, Inc..
Dell Inspiron 1525 - LM17.3 CE 64-------------------Lenovo T440 - Manjaro KDE with Mint VMs
Toshiba NB250 - Manjaro KDE------------------------Acer Aspire One D255E - LM21.3 Xfce
Acer Aspire E11 ES1-111M - LM18.2 KDE 64 ----Two ROMS don't make a WRITE
Ferran

Post by Ferran »

Falkon is fast, easy, simply, light and you can see live video in youtube or everywhere.
micheletrecaffe
Level 2
Level 2

Post by micheletrecaffe »

Hi, all.

...Netscape. I, too, have fond memories... sigh...

But as for right now:

1. tor (except, of course, for all things Google, which block tor on the principle of it, in my opinion).
2. opera
3. firefox (see below)
4. midori. Which, I know, is no longer being developed and often crashed but - well...
5. arora. Which I don't use that often.

Now, on the subject of Firefox. I would have to say that it works, overall, better than the other four - BUT: I am amazed at the amount of data the bloody thing saves on my hard drive. I did a recent update from Mint 17 to Mint 19, and removed over 1000 stored image files alone. The total number of files saved in Firefox's folder was upwards of 10 000 - and that's with all the security, no-tracking, no-cookie protocols and extensions, and with every non-necessary feature turned off. No other browser I have ever had has stored so much information on my usage.
newlyminted7
Level 5
Level 5

Post by newlyminted7 »

https://spyware.neocities.org/articles/index.html
Ungoogled Chromium (in the Software Manager) seems to be about the only decent option left.
My 2c, anyway.
Aztaroth
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Aztaroth »

'best' has no real sense. It will just collect a ton of subjective viewpoints. As Dirty Harry said in one of his movies :
Opinions are like assholes. Everybody has one.
Safest, easiest, fastest could have been more interesting directions.
For example, TOR is by far the safest browser but by far too, the slowest. So depending which direction you're looking at, it will be the 'best' or the 'worst'.
dual boot LMDE4 (mostly) + LM19.3 Cinnamon (sometimes)
JamesDean1969
Level 1
Level 1

Post by JamesDean1969 »

For those who are not tech savvy and don't want to change too much:
The Libre Wolf!
It comes with a hardened "about:config" setup.
It has ublock origin on board.

Its got Firefox as a basis.
No tracking, no calling home according to Mike Kuketz.
(If you don't speak German, please use a translator like https://www.deepl.com/translator)
Schultz
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Schultz »

ZakGordon wrote: Tue Mar 03, 2020 8:09 am 4.Palemoon (back up to Firefox these days) - It took the place of Firefox for a while, but changes over recent years had made it less functional across more of the internet.
You mean changes to websites through Gooble's strong arm tactics.
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by karlchen »

My current choice is in the given order:
  1. Firefox (still, even though I am not a conviced fan of each and every change, which Mozilla keeps on surprising us with)
    Closely followed by
  2. Vivaldi (it is what Opera once was, before Opera was sold out.)
    With a growing distance to no. 1 and 2
  3. Pale Moon (no, it is not as fast as the other 2)
Browsers, which will explicitly not make it onto systems owned by me include
Google Chrome (guess why), Microsoft Edge, Apple's Safari, Opera (it preserved the name, not the spirit)
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 792 days now.
Lifeline
ivar
Level 5
Level 5

Post by ivar »

on my mint home pc, Firefox is the favorite for now, followed by Vivaldi

@ work I separate my stuff over several browsers:
Opera for general browsing
Firefox for admin web uis
chrome for MS cloud stuff

dead last... Internet Exploder. Luckily, got rid of all stuff requiring IE - very soon (we said that last year too)
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Lady Fitzgerald »

ivar wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 8:16 pm ...dead last... Internet Exploder. Luckily, got rid of all stuff requiring IE - very soon (we said that last year too)
Really I felt that Internet Explorer was the best browser I ever used starting with version 9 (before then, ugh!). No other browsers have ever handled cookies as well and, especially, as easily, including my current browser, Brave.

A lot of people remembered how bad...make that horrible...IE6 was and continued to paint subsequent versions of IE with the IE6 brush.
Jeannie

To ensure the safety of your data, you have to be proactive, not reactive, so, back it up!
Menard
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Menard »

In my opinion Firefox now, and it is the most reliable with his ability to keep the current session alive even with 3000 tabs (tested) and we can chose to put the cache on RAM (but I m testing this)
Chrome gives no solution to some bugs, as the warning when displaying a video in full screen mode, how to stop this ?
Brave and Opera need to install a Chromium-codecs-ffmpeg-extra package every month to view the videos

I have a question, who feel concerned by the session backup technic that consists in using a folder in bookmarks ? For a long time I used some session managers but now since a long time too I use this but the problem is when you want to open this sessions, it may be too many tabs to load and that may crash the system ... any solucion ? Tabsuspender is buggy, warning !!! it made me lose all my saved tabs
Linux Mint 20.3 Cinnamon - K 5.15 - Desktop - english
AMD APU A8 7600 - DDR3 1833 MHz 8 GB x2 Dual Channel
--

If you think tough men are dangerous, wait until you see what weak men are capable of.

Return to “Software & Applications”