Super annoying high pitch noise in new computer

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
CuriousMeow
Level 2
Level 2

Super annoying high pitch noise in new computer

Post by CuriousMeow »

I got a new computer, everything seems fine, works fine. Except for the fact the computer makes an unbearable high pitch noise. It's a continue high pitch noise that starts barely 1 minute after the computer is turned on. The noise comes from the computer, not from the speakers. After a few tests done by the repair guy/vendor, we know it's not from the fans, it's not cables that are squeezed, it might be the power supply and we're going to have it changed tomorrow.
In the hypothesis it is caused by the power supply, is there any things I'd need to pay attention to ? Are there brands to avoid ? Are there brands that are recommended ? Are there incompatibilities ? Are there technical stuff to know ?

Also, when the computer is doing demanding stuff (like rendering animation), it gets super hot. Is that normal ?

The computer hardware is :

CPU : AMD Ryzen 5 2600x (16GB)
Graphic card : AMD Radeon Rx 580
Audio (which could be better....) : AMD Ellesmere

If other specs are needed to try and answer my question, let me know (and let me know where to check)
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
CuriousMeow
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Super annoying high pitch noise in new computer

Post by CuriousMeow »

Just adding that the OS on the computer is LM 19.3, not sure if it's an important detail here.

I've searched on the internet, and I'm super confused now, while some are saying that a high pitched noise is sign of defective hardware, others are talking about "coil whine", as if it was normal. :shock:

Anyway, on my new computer, it's not a noise that happens when the computer does something demanding, it does it right away after a minute of being turned on and while idle. And it's just unbearable.

If anybody has any insight or comment or anything about all this...
deepakdeshp
Level 20
Level 20

Post by deepakdeshp »

If it's irrespective of the os, then without booting in the os also the noise should be there. Just idly powering on without booting the os, does it cause the noise?
If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help.
Regards,
Deepak

Mint 21.1 Cinnamon 64 bit with AMD A6 / 8GB
Mint 21.1 Cinnamon AMD Ryzen3500U/8gb
CuriousMeow
Level 2
Level 2

Post by CuriousMeow »

deepakdeshp wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 9:34 am If it's irrespective of the os, then without booting in the os also the noise should be there. Just idly powering on without booting the os, does it cause the noise?
Yesterday the repair guy did something, the computer booted on the BIOS instead of the OS (I think he unplugged something, I really don't know much about hardware and stuff, sorry for the approximate wording and answer) and the noise was still happening indeed.
deepakdeshp
Level 20
Level 20

Post by deepakdeshp »

CuriousMeow wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 9:41 am
deepakdeshp wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 9:34 am If it's irrespective of the os, then without booting in the os also the noise should be there. Just idly powering on without booting the os, does it cause the noise?
Yesterday the repair guy did something, the computer booted on the BIOS instead of the OS (I think he unplugged something, I really don't know much about hardware and stuff, sorry for the approximate wording and answer) and the noise was still happening indeed.
That means nothing can be done on the os side and it's a hardware problem.
If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help.
Regards,
Deepak

Mint 21.1 Cinnamon 64 bit with AMD A6 / 8GB
Mint 21.1 Cinnamon AMD Ryzen3500U/8gb
CuriousMeow
Level 2
Level 2

Post by CuriousMeow »

deepakdeshp wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 9:48 am
That means nothing can be done on the os side and it's a hardware problem.
I hope it will be solved after changing the power supply. I'm getting worried as people are saying it's common for "high specs" computers to have noises like this. (Someone from the shop I bought it said that, and people on forums are saying that too. It can't be normal, can it ? It's just unbearable.) I'd pick a computer that SILENTLY renders a frame in 2 minutes over a high pitched loud computer that renders the same frame in 30 second. :shock: Especially since it makes that noise all the time, not just when it renders. :?

I'll follow up the topic tomorrow, but anyway, any advice, insight, remarks, anything are welcome.
CuriousMeow
Level 2
Level 2

Post by CuriousMeow »

Follow up : the power supply has been changed, the computer case has been changed (to something with supposedly better sound isolation). Still trying and stuff, but the sound is still there when rendering animation, just way less loud than before. (Yesterday, I could literally hear the noise from the other room :!: , with the new power supply, it's audible from nearby the computer, but without being too loud)
For now there is not much noise when the computer is idle, let's hope it won't go crescendo after using it for a while. The noise intensity definitely increases and decreases according to what the computer is doing (calculating, rendering the image or idle for half a second between frames).

I'm still checking and pondering. The computer guy said he'd help me figure stuff out and fix it, but how though ? So, I'm still seeking for any tip or anything about this. Maybe there are settings or stuff that can be changed to make the noise completely go away ?
Moonstone Man
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Moonstone Man »

CuriousMeow wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 9:41 am Yesterday the repair guy did something...
Take it back. It has nothing to do with Linux Mint.
CuriousMeow
Level 2
Level 2

Post by CuriousMeow »

Kadaitcha Man wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 4:35 am
CuriousMeow wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 9:41 am Yesterday the repair guy did something...
Take it back. It has nothing to do with Linux Mint.
I'm sorry, I'm not sure I get what you mean. Do you mean take it back to the shop ?

Since I had experienced an issue with a laptop, which seems to over heat while doing nothing demanding really while on W10 but the temperature of the same laptop remains around/below 50°C when on LM, I was wondering if power related issues could be also different according to the OS. Now on my new computer, I don't have W, but I will forever wonder (out of curiosity) if the noise wouldn't be worse with W10. According to what I've read online and what the computer guy did, some settings can be changed in the BIOS, though. Didn't do much as far as I've noticed (it was before the power supply was changed).
CuriousMeow
Level 2
Level 2

Post by CuriousMeow »

After 2 days of using the computer a little/for short whiles : no noise when doing simple stuff, audible but not too loud noise when I'm rendering animation. Set up of what I'm using for animation is still "light weight" kind of, not sure if it would be worse if/when I decide to use stuff that are (even) more demanding. So for me it's ok as long as it doesn't go back to how it was before I had the power supply changed.

I'm not marking the post as "solved", because there is still noise happening, even if it's ok now. Who knows, maybe there are some stuff/tricks to have it gone completely ?
Moonstone Man
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Moonstone Man »

CuriousMeow wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 8:57 am I'm not marking the post as "solved"
Your issue has absolutely nothing to do with Linux Mint.
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

did the computer-guy at that shop, take a look at the fan that is attached to the Central Processor Unit :?:

those CPUs do need an working fan, or the CPU does get Really Hot :!:
- - ring the guy at the shop & ask that question.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
CuriousMeow
Level 2
Level 2

Post by CuriousMeow »

Pierre wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 7:14 am did the computer-guy at that shop, take a look at the fan that is attached to the Central Processor Unit :?:

those CPUs do need an working fan, or the CPU does get Really Hot :!:
- - ring the guy at the shop & ask that question.

Yes, he checked all the fans back when we were trying to figure where the noise came from. He has added a fan the same time he changed the case and changed the power supply. After the fan has been added, the temperature (of the case) when rendering animation is a bit hot, but it's not burning hot anymore.
CuriousMeow
Level 2
Level 2

Post by CuriousMeow »

Kadaitcha Man wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 3:50 am
CuriousMeow wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 8:57 am I'm not marking the post as "solved"
Well, it is in the hardware section of the forum, after all. Now all we can do is hope people at AMD or from power supply/other hardware manufacturers check tech/computer forums still for issues to be solved in their next hardware they're working on rn, make cute little statistics of the main recurring issues, decide that "strange noises/coil whine" is a recurring UNSOLVED issue and act upon it. :) Like for real, this is something that needs to be fixed.
Moonstone Man
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Moonstone Man »

CuriousMeow wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 12:33 am
Well, it is in the hardware section of the forum, after all. Now all we can do is hope people at AMD or from power supply/other hardware manufacturers check tech/computer forums still for issues to be solved in their next hardware they're working on rn, make cute little statistics of the main recurring issues, decide that "strange noises/coil whine" is a recurring UNSOLVED issue and act upon it. :) Like for real, this is something that needs to be fixed.
The point is, there is no point in complaining about it here. Your 'computer guy' sold you a lemon. You need to sort it out with him.
CuriousMeow
Level 2
Level 2

Post by CuriousMeow »

Kadaitcha Man wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 1:09 am
CuriousMeow wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 12:33 am

The point is, there is no point in complaining about it here. Your 'computer guy' sold you a lemon. You need to sort it out with him.
I'm not the one complaining, here..... 🤔 Especially since as I said a few posts ago, my problem is solved basically. Be nice... 😕

What you deem as "pointless post" might be helpful for others, helpful to "faire avancer le Schmilblick" (not sure how to say that in English, something like help in some way), have those companies realize the people who buy their components/computers (aka the consumers) are not happy and there are issue to solve.

(I decline all responsibility for all conspiracy theory that YOU have started also).

Seriously, though...
jameskga
Level 4
Level 4

Post by jameskga »

Some people consider themselves the forum police. Maybe they were also hall monitors in school.

It's not like you are messing with us on purpose. You're just trying to get your issue fixed. I see posts like this as a drop in the ocean of information for future users. Like you said, maybe it could someday be useful in some way, to someone dealing with your same issue. The whole reason I've been able to solve anything computer-related sometimes is because I am manually stitching together solutions from obscure google hits on my more rare, specific issues. 100% of the time those solutions take place on forums like this one.

Everybody's stuck inside right now. He has nothing better to do.

Here's another good one I often encounter: I will carefully explain my issue as best I can, asking for advice on my issue. It doesn't happen here as much, but there's plenty of nasty little forums out there filled with the least helpful people you could ever ask to assist you. Invariably, someone in the comment section will say "I have no idea WHAT you are talking about. It works PERFECTLY for me, EVERY TIME. I see no problem. Mods, please close this thread" I'm just trying to be funny with that last part, but people like that just effectively kill the discussion right there.

Good luck, friend.
They say your favorite Mint edition was the one you installed when you still went to school with your friends.
I am out there
CuriousMeow
Level 2
Level 2

Post by CuriousMeow »

jameskga wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 2:15 am Some people consider themselves the forum police. Maybe they were also hall monitors in school.

It's not like you are messing with us on purpose. You're just trying to get your issue fixed. I see posts like this as a drop in the ocean of information for future users. Like you said, maybe it could someday be useful in some way, to someone dealing with your same issue. The whole reason I've been able to solve anything computer-related sometimes is because I am manually stitching together solutions from obscure google hits on my more rare, specific issues. 100% of the time those solutions take place on forums like this one.

Everybody's stuck inside right now. He has nothing better to do.

Here's another good one I often encounter: I will carefully explain my issue as best I can, asking for advice on my issue. It doesn't happen here as much, but there's plenty of nasty little forums out there filled with the least helpful people you could ever ask to assist you. Invariably, someone in the comment section will say "I have no idea WHAT you are talking about. It works PERFECTLY for me, EVERY TIME. I see no problem. Mods, please close this thread" I'm just trying to be funny with that last part, but people like that just effectively kill the discussion right there.

Good luck, friend.
Indeed... 🤷‍♀️

Return to “Hardware Support”