Wifi extenders

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
mintyfresh2

Wifi extenders

Post by mintyfresh2 »

I am thinking of installing a PC in a building roughly 1000 feet (900 meters) across a field,
from my house. I was told this distance is doable with one extender (not a repeater), but....
I am not sure this is doable and would like confirmation that either I am wrong and they're correct,
or that I shouldn't waste my money.
Details:
line of sight is across a rancher's field, with approx 10 feet of wild bushes the the way.
There is no facility to power a repeater midway, which is what I would have liked to do.
I don't want to add another ISP monthly charge, as I will be using either one, or the other
not both simultaneously.

So what's your conclusion?
Thanks.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Moonstone Man
Level 16
Level 16

Re: Wifi extenders

Post by Moonstone Man »

mintyfresh2 wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 12:59 am So what's your conclusion?
You are going to need 2.4Ghz, not 5GHz, as 2.4GHz signal will go much further. You're also going to need either two parabolic or two yagi antennas with a high dBi, such as the TP-Link 2.4GHz 24dBi directional grid parabolic antenna, and power at both ends. What counts here is being able to get the signal going both ways across almost 1km distance so, at the remote end, you're going to need an access point. Both ends, local and remote, need to be have sufficient transmit power to drive the antenna and get the signal over the line. It's far more complex than "this distance is doable with one extender".

Search google for long-range wifi and wifi long-range directional antenna.

I've asked the moderators to consider moving this thread. It has nothing to do with LM.
mintyfresh2

Post by mintyfresh2 »

Thanks Kadaitcha Man
I was fairly sure it wouldn't work for cheap...
Moonstone Man
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Moonstone Man »

mintyfresh2 wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 2:14 am Thanks Kadaitcha Man
I'm glad I could help.
RollyShed
Level 8
Level 8

Post by RollyShed »

We have such a setup at our Men's Shed, fortunately donated. The aerials are flat plates about 500 mm x 300 mm. We link with a member down the road. He was thinking of selling and the next member is quite a bit further away so I rang the donors. Range? About 21 km they said.

The receiver unit (very small) plugs into a modem/router and then off to our computers. We had a little trouble until we realised the router had to be told not to give the computers a number as that was to be left to the source router at the member's house. A box in the menu to be unticked at our end.
Joe2Shoe
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Joe2Shoe »

A friend had a location he needed wifi for that was 1000 feet from his house. I ran 1000 feet of Romex 10-3 gray outdoor wire from the house breaker box, with an additional 20-Amp breaker.
Inside an enclosed waterproof polybox that sits on a platform 5 feet high that has a roof, I installed a GFCI outlet, grounded.
Inside the box is a TP-Link TL-WR940N N450 450Mbps 802.11n 3x3-MIMO Wi-Fi Router ($25.00), in repeater mode.
Now they have coverage outside 1000 feet from the house, and an electrical outlet.
I was trained by a friend who is a licensed/certified Master Electrician, so I would not perform this option, unless you hire a real electrician.
"Tolerance is the refuge of men without conviction."
"Common sense is not so common" - Voltaire
mintyfresh2

Post by mintyfresh2 »

I ran 1000 feet of Romex 10-3
Therein lies my problem.
There is a triangular piece of property that juts between my house and the building
The property is not mine, and is used for agriculture,(read heavily plowed),
so running a line and setting up a post in the midst of their field, is out of the question.
I am well versed in running cable and wiring circuits. That, is not the issue. I have
another neighbor from whom I might be able to share wifi from, for a fee.
Although I'd like to have my own dedicated line, this, might be my best option.
Joe2Shoe
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Joe2Shoe »

Well, in that case, maybe you should check into "mifi". That works for several friends.
Good luck.
"Tolerance is the refuge of men without conviction."
"Common sense is not so common" - Voltaire
AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

Post by AndyMH »

About 15 years ago I joined a company and we were in a satellite office about 300 yards from the main one. We had a laser link for the network. This was commercial kit so probably not cheap.

EDIT - had a quick google, you can still buy them, but nobody quoting prices, read expensive. But I did find this:
https://www.instructables.com/id/Laser-Transceiver/
They were claiming +300M. Of course you need line of sight. Depending on how electronically literate you are, could be a good arduino or esp8266 project, maybe even a raspberry pi.
Last edited by AndyMH on Wed Mar 25, 2020 8:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thinkcentre M720Q - LM21.3 cinnamon, 4 x T430 - LM21.3 cinnamon, Homebrew desktop i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0
cliffcoggin
Level 8
Level 8

Post by cliffcoggin »

mintyfresh2 wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 12:59 am I am thinking of installing a PC in a building roughly 1000 feet (900 meters) across a field,
1000 feet is 300 metres not 900. I know everything is bigger in Texas but surely not the foot.
Cliff Coggin
mintyfresh2

Post by mintyfresh2 »

1000 feet is 300 metres not 900. I know everything is bigger in Texas but surely not the foot.
Yes, you caught that before I did. As a matter of fact I didn't catch it at all... :oops: :cry:
Thanks
mintyfresh2

Post by mintyfresh2 »

Well, in that case, maybe you should check into "mifi". That works for several friends.
Good luck.
Thanks for the info.
This would however incur the added charge for a cell phone.
Way too expensive for me. I'm retired,
and living on a small fixed income, due to corporate thieves.

Return to “Networking”