Dual Printer Problem Mint 19.2[SOLVED]

Forum rules
Before you post please read this
ajayX1
Level 1
Level 1

Dual Printer Problem Mint 19.2[SOLVED]

Post by ajayX1 »

I was using Ricoh SP111 laser printer with driver provided on https://github.com/madlynx/ricoh-sp100. Everything was fine. Now I installed my another printer HP Deskjet 1510 with HPLIP only for scanning purpose. Soon after I installed HP Deskjet 1510 with HPLIP-3.20.3 the Ricoh SP111 started giving BLANK prints. Even if I give prints of 10 pages it just pass a single blank page. Please help If anyone have any solution. I am using Mint 19.2. Thanks
Last edited by ajayX1 on Thu Mar 26, 2020 3:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HAWR
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Dual Printer Problem Mint 19.2

Post by HAWR »

Hello ajayX1,

you used hplip 3.20.3 for the installation. Have you downloaded it from hplip website and removed the default version (3.17.0) before installing it? It isn't necessary for your printer/scanner to install an additional hplip-version, because the default one is enough. Maybe this caused your actual problem.
ajayX1
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ajayX1 »

HAWR wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 5:40 am
Hello ajayX1,

you used hplip 3.20.3 for the installation. Have you downloaded it from hplip website and removed the default version (3.17.0) before installing it? It isn't necessary for your printer/scanner to install an additional hplip-version, because the default one is enough. Maybe this caused your actual problem.
Okay I just downloaded latest version from HPLIP selecting versions as guided by HPLIP website. I shall uninstall HPLIP 3.20.3 and fresh install version (3.17.0) and check and shall update you. Thank You
HAWR
Level 6
Level 6

Post by HAWR »

Hello ajayX1,

you could also restore a timeshift snapshot from before installing hplip 3.20.2. With the default version 3.17.10 scanning should work without any additional packages/drivers.
ajayX1
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ajayX1 »

HAWR wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 6:51 am
Hello ajayX1,

you could also restore a timeshift snapshot from before installing hplip 3.20.2. With the default version 3.17.10 scanning should work without any additional packages/drivers.
I removed hplip completely running all sudo apt remove hplip & sudo apt purge hplip & sudo make uninstall & sudo rm -rf /usr/share/hplip. uninstalled Ricoh SP111 printer and reinstalled Ricoh SP111 only. It is still passing blank pages. OH MY GOD
HAWR
Level 6
Level 6

Post by HAWR »

Hello ajayX1,

what is with a timeshift snapshot to restore the functional situation before installing additional hplip version?
ajayX1
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ajayX1 »

HAWR wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:56 am
Hello ajayX1,

what is with a timeshift snapshot to restore the functional situation before installing additional hplip version?
No snapshots
HAWR
Level 6
Level 6

Post by HAWR »

Hello ajayX1,

you could try to upgrade your LM 19.2 to LM 19.3 in the update manager > edit. Maybe this will bring back the default hplip version. Otherwise I can only recommand to make a fresh install and don't ignore all the hints for timeshift snapshots again.
ajayX1
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ajayX1 »

HAWR wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 10:20 am
Hello ajayX1,

you could try to upgrade your LM 19.2 to LM 19.3 in the update manager > edit. Maybe this will bring back the default hplip version. Otherwise I can only recommand to make a fresh install and don't ignore all the hints for timeshift snapshots again.
I wish to Thank You for your prompt responses. What I found by now is:
1) I tried to install hplip-3.17.10 but it warned that for this version dependencies will not met for Mint 19.2.
2) The problem appeared after installation of HPLIP. It is clear that the dependencies downloaded with HPLIP caused some change in functioning of CUPS. Hence it is CUPS which is sending blank page prints to RICOH printer. I took a test print from printer pressing its start button 2 times. It printed without any problem. Hence beyond doubt installation of HPLIP caused some changes which cause CUPS to send blank prints to RICOH printer.
3) I faced this problem earlier when I was using UBUNTU 16.04 and UBUNTU 18.04 but at that time I thought it is some installation fault and ignored.
HAWR
Level 6
Level 6

Post by HAWR »

Hello ajayX1,
1) I tried to install hplip-3.17.10 but it warned that for this version dependencies will not met for Mint 19.2.
The warning is strange, because the version hplip 3.17.10 is the default version, which is installed with LM 19.x. Maybe the version from hplip website is a little bit different. But you can try to install this version also via the synaptic package manager from the Ubuntu repositories and as far as I know, there are no warnings then.
ajayX1
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ajayX1 »

HAWR wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 2:10 pm
Hello ajayX1,
The warning is strange, because the version hplip 3.17.10 is the default version, which is installed with LM 19.x. Maybe the version from hplip website is a little bit different. But you can try to install this version also via the synaptic package manager from the Ubuntu repositories and as far as I know, there are no warnings then.
I downloaded it from link provided by HPLIP website from Sourceforge
HP Linux Imaging and Printing System (ver. 3.17.10)
HPLIP Installer ver. 5.1

Copyright (c) 2001-15 HP Development Company, LP
This software comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY.
This is free software, and you are welcome to distribute it
under certain conditions. See COPYING file for more details.

Installer log saved in: hplip-install_Wed-25-Mar-2020_23:50:29.log

/
note: Defaults for each question are maked with a '*'. Press <enter> to accept the default.
error: linuxmint-19.2 version is not supported, so all dependencies may not be installed. However trying to install using linuxmint-18.2 version packages.

Press 'y' to continue auto installation. Press 'n' to quit auto instalation(y=yes, n=no*):
HAWR
Level 6
Level 6

Post by HAWR »

Hello ajayX1,

as written above, there seems to be a difference in the version from Ubuntu/Linux and the developer website. Ubuntu seems to have adapted that version to the LTS version, which is the base for LM 19.x. So don't install it from the hplip website. I've attached my search for hplip in the synaptic package manager and I have no HP printer/scanner:.
Attachments
synaptic_hplip.png
ajayX1
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ajayX1 »

HAWR wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 2:32 pm
Hello ajayX1,

as written above, there seems to be a difference in the version from Ubuntu/Linux and the developer website. Ubuntu seems to have adapted that version to the LTS version, which is the base for LM 19.x. So don't install it from the hplip website. I've attached my search for hplip in the synaptic package manager and I have no HP printer/scanner:.
Hello I tried installing from synaptic. But it initially it show dependencies not met error. Then I some package through apt and again tried through synaptic. Installation showed but no printer identified. Then I uninstalled from synaptic and installed from apt. This time showed up in CUPS window but hp-setup gave some error like not pointing to etc. I removed every thing and installed HPLIP-3.20.2 again at least I can scan and continue my work. During install of HPLIP-3.20.2 setup confirmed about mint version. Hence this version is suitable for Mint 19.2. Problem came in CUPS after I installed HPLIP.

It may be possible that the modification of versions of applications installed with HPLIPS i.e. Ghostscript, footmatic or other my have caused this problem.
Last edited by ajayX1 on Fri Jun 19, 2020 12:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
ajayX1
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ajayX1 »

I observed strange thing that it is printing all prints from firefox only including pdf files made from raster images.

Printing blank pages from Google-chrome
Printing blank pages from LibreOffice
Printing blank pages from Xreader

Then I ran upgrade and reboot. Now both printer and scanner doing their job. I don't know how to mark question as solved.
Thank You
HAWR
Level 6
Level 6

Post by HAWR »

Hello ajayX1,

I'm glad to read that you've got it working :)
I don't know how to mark question as solved.
Edit your opening post and add [SOLVED] to the title.
ajayX1
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Dual Printer Problem Mint 19.2[SOLVED]

Post by ajayX1 »

This problem occurred again and I posted it everywhere possible to finding solution. Lastly it hints to my mind that I should check the apt history of the period when this problem last occurred and check what solved this problem. I realised it i due to

Code: Select all

imagemagick
. so I run following command:

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install imagemagick-6.q16
and this solved the problem.

Return to “Printers & Scanners”