Eject USB error message...

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
invex
Level 3
Level 3

Eject USB error message...

Post by invex »

When I plug in a USB thumb drive all files are accessible but when I want to eject it I get this error message.
TIA
Attachments
Selection_976.png
LanceM
Level 11
Level 11

Re: Eject USB error message...

Post by LanceM »

What is the file system used on the drive? If you can save the files on it to another location, you can format the drive using Disks and see how it behaves before adding any files back to it.
To mark this issue solved, go to your original 1st post and click the edit pencil and add [Solved] at the beginning of the title and click Submit.
Mint accepts donations: https://linuxmint.com/donors.php
PhilAypee
Level 3
Level 3

Post by PhilAypee »

I use Xfce but I occasionally get the a similar message and it does not vary with how the device is formatted. :roll:

The message is usually that the drive is in use even though it's not. I do realise occasionally the system will be writing to the disk but this is almost never the case when I get this message. Occasionally I just unplug the device anyway after a few minutes but more commonly I just restart the beast and unplug the device while it's rebooting.

I have drives formatted to ext4, NTSC and the USB sticks to FAT32 (for Windoze compatibility) and this error message occasionally appears for all of them. Sometimes, just sometimes, the Disks application will unmount the disk but more commonly it gives the same error message.

It doesn't bother me much and is never serious but it is a niggle.
Take care,
Phil.

Minimize your therbligs until it becomes automatic;
this doubles your effective lifetime – and thereby gives time to enjoy
butterflies and kittens and rainbows.

LM 19.3 Xfce 64 bit - 4Gb RAM Dual Core Celeron N3350
🚂🚃🚃🚃🚃🚃🚃🚃🚃🚃🚃🚃🚃🚃
invex
Level 3
Level 3

Post by invex »