How to set environment variables for the calibre program (to get dark theme) in Mint Cinnamon [solved]

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
pepperminty
Level 6
Level 6

How to set environment variables for the calibre program (to get dark theme) in Mint Cinnamon [solved]

Post by pepperminty »

I'd like to change the theme of Calibre and the developer has made his program quite customizable: https://manual.calibre-ebook.com/customize.html#id1 . According to that link, we can use "CALIBRE_USE_SYSTEM_THEME".

My question is: How do we set this environment variable on Linux Mint Cinnamon?

Thanks!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Re: How to set environment variables for the calibre program in Mint Cinnamon.

Post by karlchen »

pepperminty wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 1:34 pmHow do we set this environment variable on Linux Mint Cinnamon?
In the same what as on Linux Mint xfce, Linux Mint Mate and even on Ubuntu. :wink:
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 771 days now.
Lifeline
pepperminty
Level 6
Level 6

Re: How to set environment variables for the calibre program in Mint Cinnamon.

Post by pepperminty »

some minter helped me with this:

env CALIBRE_USE_DARK_PALETTE=1 calibre .

i then just modified the command line in the calibre shortcut i dragged from my mint menu to the panel
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Re: How to set environment variables for the calibre program in Mint Cinnamon [solved]

Post by karlchen »

In analogy, the variable CALIBRE_USE_SYSTEM_THEME could be set in the same way:
env CALIBRE_USE_SYSTEM_THEME=1 calibre
Really, the online help could be a bit more specific on how to set the (optional) environment variables on Linux systems. :(
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 771 days now.
Lifeline
pepperminty
Level 6
Level 6

Re: How to set environment variables for the calibre program in Mint Cinnamon [solved]

Post by pepperminty »

karichen,
initially, i tried env CALIBRE_USE_SYSTEM_THEME=1 calibre but it did nothing. i then tried env CALIBRE_USE_DARK_PALETTE=1 calibre and it worked. the developer said he didn't give instructions for linux because there's multiple answers (because there's multiple linux flavors)
wopaterno
Level 1
Level 1

Post by wopaterno »

Could you please send a screenshot I can't put in calibre dark mode in Linux mint 19.3 Cinnamon
Attachments
1.png
Last edited by wopaterno on Fri Mar 27, 2020 5:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.
pepperminty
Level 6
Level 6

Post by pepperminty »

wopaterno wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 4:58 pm Could you please send a screenshot I can't put in caliber dark mode in Linux mint
screenshot of what?
pepperminty
Level 6
Level 6

Post by pepperminty »

wopaterno wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 4:58 pm Could you please send a screenshot I can't put in caliber dark mode in Linux mint
you put the wrong one. you should put in this:

env CALIBRE_USE_DARK_PALETTE=1 calibre
wopaterno
Level 1
Level 1

Post by wopaterno »

No case, change the command and reboot the system and nothing
Attachments
2.png
1.png
pepperminty
Level 6
Level 6

Post by pepperminty »

could you try opening a Terminal and running the same command

env CALIBRE_USE_DARK_PALETTE=1 calibre
wopaterno
Level 1
Level 1

Post by wopaterno »

Yes now, thank you !! I am happy
pepperminty
Level 6
Level 6

Post by pepperminty »

You're welcome.
jeffmcneill
Level 1
Level 1

Re: How to set environment variables for the calibre program (to get dark theme) in Mint Cinnamon [solved]

Post by jeffmcneill »

FYI, they moved this into an option under Settings > Preferences > Look & Feel > Main Interface > Color Palette
pepperminty
Level 6
Level 6

Re: How to set environment variables for the calibre program (to get dark theme) in Mint Cinnamon [solved]

Post by pepperminty »

jeffmcneill wrote: Thu Sep 08, 2022 1:29 am FYI, they moved this into an option under Settings > Preferences > Look & Feel > Main Interface > Color Palette
Thanks, Jeff. I appreciate this helpful information. I've made the change in that place you instructed. Now there's no need to mess with the terminal. :)

Return to “Beginner Questions”