TrueCrypt, VeraCrypt, or ???

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
tovian
Level 5
Level 5

TrueCrypt, VeraCrypt, or ???

Post by tovian »

I was planning to install TrueCrypt to encrypt some partitions but was advised that VeraCrypt is more current and more secure. I could not find it in the Mint Repo(s) so I downloaded a deb package that was supposed to be for the Ubuntu GUI. It appeared to install correctly - and there was a link/shortcut in my Start-Menu. But when I attempt to launch the program I get the "busy indicator" for a minute then it goes away.

Anyone know where to get and how to install VeraCrypt to run on Mint-19.3/Cinnamon
or
is there a better CROSS-PLATFORM alternative (I definitely want something that runs on Linux AND Windows).

Thanks in advance !!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
“I think that this situation absolutely requires a really futile and stupid gesture be done on somebody's part"
"We're just the guys to do it”

Animal House
Koning Mint

Re: TrueCrypt, VeraCrypt, or ???

Post by Koning Mint »

edited: wrong answer
Last edited by Koning Mint on Tue Apr 21, 2020 11:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Appoloin
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Appoloin »

Do you really need encrypted partitions or would encrypted folders do? For encrypted folders you can use Gnome Encfs Manager.
AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

Post by AndyMH »

Appoloin wrote: Mon Apr 20, 2020 6:22 am Do you really need encrypted partitions or would encrypted folders do? For encrypted folders you can use Gnome Encfs Manager.
encfs is okay, but has limitations and weaknesses - google. For starters, an encrypted folder will show all the files and sizes, the filenames are gibberish and you can't read them.

Also use veracrypt, you can install from ppa:
https://www.linuxbabe.com/ubuntu/instal ... 6-04-16-10
I would advise against encrypting whole partitions, use veracrypt containers (they are a file) instead.
Thinkcentre M720Q - LM21.3 cinnamon, 4 x T430 - LM21.3 cinnamon, Homebrew desktop i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0
Joe2Shoe
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Joe2Shoe »

I use LUKS (Linux Unified Key Setup) in LM 19.3 x64. I created a "Data" partition on the HDD. Within the Data partition, I have several encrypted folders (LUKS).
I, personally, would NOT use either TrueCrypt or VeraCrypt (as TrueCrypt has a NASA backdoor, probably VeraCrypt, also).
Safe encrypting.
"Tolerance is the refuge of men without conviction."
"Common sense is not so common" - Voltaire
pbear
Level 16
Level 16

Post by pbear »

tovian wrote: Sun Apr 19, 2020 7:32 pm ... advised that VeraCrypt is more current and more secure.
Main improvement of VeraCrypt is a delay in processing password, which make brute force attacks more difficult. Whether this matters depends on what sort of "adversary" you have in mind. For casual busybody security, doesn't matter. For govt-agency types, doesn't help.
Joe2Shoe wrote: Mon Apr 20, 2020 11:54 am... TrueCrypt has a NASA backdoor
Cite, please. Been following the saga ever since TrueCrypt was abandoned without warning. Haven't heard this one before.
tovian
Level 5
Level 5

Post by tovian »

Koning Mint wrote:open a terminal and press...
post the message in the terminal back in this threat
Thank you for your help. When I discovered that the app did not work I uninstalled and reinstalled it several times with no luck. I'm going to try installing from the ppa also mentioned in the replies above. If that doesn't work I will abandon VeraCrypt for some other solution (can't beat a dead horse forever).

The principal reason I'm still pursuing VeraCrypt at all is that I've used TrueCrypt for a number of years and have a little experience which I hate to let go to waste. But, I will give up on it very soon if it continues to be stubborn.

I prefer a partition or "container" over encrypting files since I would rather have all of this type of data in one place (on the HDD) rather than spread all over who-knows-where. Plus, partitions are relatively easy to image for backup purposes. None of what I am encrypting is "Super-Secret". It's mainly old family history and pictures and miscellaneous archives. None of it would be useful to somebody wanting current personal or financial information.

THANKS for all suggestions !!
Last edited by tovian on Mon Apr 20, 2020 1:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“I think that this situation absolutely requires a really futile and stupid gesture be done on somebody's part"

Animal House
deck_luck
Level 7
Level 7

Post by deck_luck »

While researching a way to use a file as an encrypted dm-crypt LUKS virtual disk, I stumbled across the Veracrypt extension in the cryptsetup man page. I do not use Veracrypt, but I thought you might have an interest.

man cryptsetup excerpts:

TCRYPT (TrueCrypt-compatible and VeraCrypt) EXTENSION
cryptsetup supports mapping of TrueCrypt, tcplay or VeraCrypt (with
--veracrypt option) encrypted partition using a native Linux kernel
API. Header formatting and TCRYPT header change is not supported,
cryptsetup never changes TCRYPT header on-device.
🐧Linux Mint 20.3 XFCE (UEFI - Secure Boot Enabled) dual boot with Windows 11

Give a friend a fish, and you feed them for a day. Teach a friend how to fish, and you feed them for a lifetime. ✝️
AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

Post by AndyMH »

I'm going to try installing from the ppa also mentioned in the replies above.
Un-install what you've done first - synaptic package manager.
Thinkcentre M720Q - LM21.3 cinnamon, 4 x T430 - LM21.3 cinnamon, Homebrew desktop i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0
Buzzsaw
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Buzzsaw »

pbear wrote: Mon Apr 20, 2020 12:06 pm
tovian wrote: Sun Apr 19, 2020 7:32 pm ... advised that VeraCrypt is more current and more secure.
Main improvement of VeraCrypt is a delay in processing password, which make brute force attacks more difficult. Whether this matters depends on what sort of "adversary" you have in mind. For casual busybody security, doesn't matter. For govt-agency types, doesn't help.
Joe2Shoe wrote: Mon Apr 20, 2020 11:54 am... TrueCrypt has a NASA backdoor
Cite, please. Been following the saga ever since TrueCrypt was abandoned without warning. Haven't heard this one before.
There is no backdoor.

I hate it when people write sensationalist things like this and then never reply when asked what their source is.
pbear
Level 16
Level 16

Post by pbear »

tovian wrote: Mon Apr 20, 2020 12:33 pm If that doesn't work I will abandon VeraCrypt for some other solution (can't beat a dead horse forever).
The unit193 PPA works fine (I've used it). unit193 is a Xubuntu developer, btw, and his PPA is listed on VeraCrypt's website.

ETA: Was almost (but not quite) certain I tested the deb file at some point, which is what I assume you tried. I've done so now (again, I think). Works fine.

If you'd rather stick with TrueCrypt, there's ppa:stefansundin/truecrypt. Just a user who packaged the tarball (also available).
Been up for three years I know about, so I regard it as reliable.

And I agree about partition containers, they're fine. In fact, my container is a partition on a USB drive (backed up to another one).
Last edited by pbear on Mon Apr 20, 2020 5:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
t42
Level 11
Level 11

Post by t42 »

Why not to install VeraCrypt from the original website?
see https://www.veracrypt.fr/en/Downloads.html):

Code: Select all

wget https://launchpad.net/veracrypt/trunk/1.24-update7/+download/veracrypt-1.24-Update7-setup.tar.bz2
wget https://launchpad.net/veracrypt/trunk/1.24-update7/+download/veracrypt-1.24-Update7-setup.tar.bz2.sig
wget https://www.idrix.fr/VeraCrypt/VeraCrypt_PGP_public_key.asc

gpg --import VeraCrypt_PGP_public_key.asc
gpg --verify veracrypt-1.24-Update7-setup.tar.bz2.sig

tar -xjf veracrypt-1.24-Update7-setup.tar.bz2

To install GUI x64:
sudo ./veracrypt-1.24-Update7-setup-gui-x64
choose installation options  [1] or [2] then accept license

Or to install console x64:
sudo ./veracrypt-1.24-Update7-setup-console-x64
choose installation options  [1] or [2] then accept license
Last edited by t42 on Tue Nov 09, 2021 10:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
-=t42=-
tovian
Level 5
Level 5

Post by tovian »

Buzzsaw wrote:I hate it when people write sensationalist things like this and then never reply when asked what their source is.
Wecome to the world of "Fake News". It's everywhere... all we can do is "Identify and Ignore".

AndyMH wrote:use veracrypt, you can install from ppa:...
Worked GREAT !! Starting my migrations now.

pbear wrote:my container is a partition on a USB drive (backed up to another one)
Great "security AND backup" strategy... :D :D
I wish you would start/link-to a tutorial. I am VERY interested in precisely how to implement all the pieces.

THANK YOU TO EVERYONE WHO RESPONDED

Animal House
rujikin
Level 2
Level 2

Post by rujikin »

tovian wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 11:25 am
Buzzsaw wrote:I hate it when people write sensationalist things like this and then never reply when asked what their source is.
Wecome to the world of "Fake News". It's everywhere... all we can do is "Identify and Ignore".
Truecrypt was forced to stop development all of a sudden under unique circumstances and censored. Then after they were forced to stop they released one more version with no notes or anything. Everyone assumed it was a compromised version with an NSA backdoor. It was very suspicious and people kept sharing the previous version.

Sadly the world has been fake news for much longer than you know. The more you look back the more prevalent you notice it was but when you only have 1 source providing news then there is a lot less push back for lies and propaganda. Many "multipart" stories are technically ways for media companies to get payments from the company they are reporting on and if they pay up part 2 never airs.
pbear
Level 16
Level 16

Post by pbear »

rujikin wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 12:21 pm Truecrypt was forced to stop development all of a sudden under unique circumstances and censored.
Also not true. Or, rather, all we know is that they stopped. The most plausible explanation (imho) is that this occurred about the time a secure email provider was threatened with jail time if he didn't implement a back door for his service. Even that explanation, though, is pure speculation.
I2k4
Level 5
Level 5

Post by I2k4 »

rujikin wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 12:21 pm
tovian wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 11:25 am
Truecrypt was forced to stop development all of a sudden under unique circumstances and censored. Then after they were forced to stop they released one more version with no notes or anything. Everyone assumed it was a compromised version with an NSA backdoor. It was very suspicious and people kept sharing the previous version.

Sadly the world has been fake news for much longer than you know. The more you look back the more prevalent you notice it was but when you only have 1 source providing news then there is a lot less push back for lies and propaganda. Many "multipart" stories are technically ways for media companies to get payments from the company they are reporting on and if they pay up part 2 never airs.
It's been a few years and the drama dragged on for months, but the basic story seems to be the TrueCrypt "team" broke up over who knows what (that if anything was "censored") while an independent security audit was still in progress. The audit proved it safe. Moreover, the Snowden data included accounts of NSA and other federal authorities banging their heads about inability to crack it. These are searchable things.

I still use the last version, via the PPA maintained by Stephen Sundin - you'll see the last update was very recent:

https://launchpad.net/~stefansundin/+ar ... /truecrypt

The desktop client operates extremely well. I'm not personally trying to beat the NSA or Fancy Bear, just the average hacker twerp that might get into one of my devices or cloud storage services somehow.
TRUST BUT VERIFY any advice from anybody, including me. Mint/Ubuntu user since 10.04 LTS. LM20 64 bit XFCE (Dell 1520). Dual boot LM20 XFCE / Win7 (Lenovo desktop and Acer netbook). Testing LM21.1 Cinnamon and XFCE Live for new Lenovo desktop.
deck_luck
Level 7
Level 7

Re: [Resolved] TrueCrypt, VeraCrypt, or ???

Post by deck_luck »

Tovian, reading the recent Ubuntu 20 media release, it mentions the Gnome Disks utility supports Veracrypt open source encryption. I would expect the Linux Mint 20 (based on Ubuntu 20.4) will have the same capabilities. If you need interoperability with Windows Veracrypt, it might be useful.
🐧Linux Mint 20.3 XFCE (UEFI - Secure Boot Enabled) dual boot with Windows 11

Give a friend a fish, and you feed them for a day. Teach a friend how to fish, and you feed them for a lifetime. ✝️
tovian
Level 5
Level 5

Post by tovian »

deck_luck wrote:...Ubuntu 20 media release, it mentions the Gnome Disks utility supports Veracrypt open source encryption. I would expect the Linux Mint 20 (based on Ubuntu 20.4) will have the same capabilities.
VERY Interesting. I will pursue this. I may PM Xenopeek to see what he thinks about True-vs-Vera Crypt... his advice on things like this (specifically remembering his comments regarding KeepassXC) has always been good for me.

THANK YOU for this information.

Animal House
nn70
Level 2
Level 2

Post by nn70 »

Truecrypt gets my vote. Reading between the lines (not just from the source I've given below) it appears it's pretty unbreakable. Check hash before installing, but it will be the right version at Gibson Research.

https://www.grc.com/misc/truecrypt/truecrypt.htm
pbear
Level 16
Level 16

Post by pbear »

I go back and forth. On the one hand, VeraCrypt definitely is more resistant to brute force attack, because of the change to the validation procedure I mentioned earlier. On the other hand, TrueCrypt has the nice quality that there's no one to intimidate into creating a backdoor. On the third hand (heh), for most regular users, both probably are secure enough, which would make Disks compatibility (if it works well) a pretty good tie-breaker.

Return to “Software & Applications”