How are we using our leisure time?

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
PhilAypee
Level 3
Level 3

How are we using our leisure time?

Post by PhilAypee »

It occurred to me that, when most of us have an awful lot of leisure time, we might tell each other what movie, TV and radio stuff we enjoy especially if it's on YouTube or otherwise freely available.

Movies I particularly enjoy are:

Les Vacances De M. Hulot
Though this is a French movie from the fifties you should turn the subtitles off as the soundtrack isn't meant as dialogue but sound effects. It's a mime comedy Γ  la Buster Keaton. It's not on YouTube right now but it has been and probably will be again.

This is a science-fiction movie about a time bounce rather like that in Groundhog Day (which was made later).

I Know Where I'm Going
Most of you should turn off the Spanish subtitles to watch this astonishing romance.

(Carry On) Don't Lose Your Head
Possibly the best of the British Carry On series of comedy movies. πŸ˜‚

Foreign Correspondent
One of Hitchcock's finest movies.

Microcosmos
This is a quite wonderful study of life in a French field. I doubt it's ever been on YouTube but we can always hope it will be.

Oddities from Canada

The Railrodder
and
Making Of The Railrodder
A trip across Canada with Buster Keaton on a stolen rail inspection trolley and the story of making the movie - with Buster talking, singing and playing the ukulele! 😎

TV

A Nero Wolfe Mystery
Superb period P.I. mystery series.

The Beiderbecke Trilogy
Three gentle British comedy-dramas.

Radio

Under Milk Wood
The quintessential radio poem/drama.

Izzyhack
A radio quiz show with a difference! There are even more on YouTube. 🀣

That's obviously only a few of my favorites - what are yours?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 07, 2022 4:01 am, edited 4 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 30 days after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Take care,
Phil.

Minimize your therbligs until it becomes automatic;
this doubles your effective lifetime – and thereby gives time to enjoy
butterflies and kittens and rainbows.

LM 19.3 Xfce 64 bit - 4Gb RAM Dual Core Celeron N3350
πŸš‚πŸšƒπŸšƒπŸšƒπŸšƒπŸšƒπŸšƒπŸšƒπŸšƒπŸšƒπŸšƒπŸšƒπŸšƒπŸšƒ
AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

Re: How are we using our leisure time?

Post by AndyMH »

I remember the the Beiderbecke Affair :)

and to add to your Canadian oddities - Snow Cake, movie that I couldn't switch off - Channel 4 many years ago. Alan Rickman (sadly no longer with us) and Sigourney Weaver. Unfortunately not available online.

For some of us retired folks, there is no increased leisure time :D
Thinkcentre M720Q - LM21.3 cinnamon, 4 x T430 - LM21.3 cinnamon, Homebrew desktop i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0
PhilAypee
Level 3
Level 3

Post by PhilAypee »

AndyMH wrote: ‴Mon Apr 20, 2020 2:39 pm I remember the the Beiderbecke Affair :)

For some of us retired folks, there is no increased leisure time :D
There are the sequels, The Beiderbecke Tapes and The Beiderbecke Connection, on YouTube too. πŸ˜‰

I'm also retired but I can't go anywhere but shopping and I really enjoy walking fair distances - but there's no bus to take me home. :cry:
Take care,
Phil.

old_noob
Level 4
Level 4

Post by old_noob »

"Leisure" time?

I work from home as much as is practical. Since I'm a chemist and not allowed to enter the lab, the definition of 'practical' has had to change a bit. Lots of data entry and review of engineering plans that I generally don't have time to do except in the dead of winter. Mindless chat with co-workers on MS Teams, using a W10 work laptop:( and occasionally work related discussions. And reading scary stuff about COVID-19 and building air handling since I'm our lab's safety guy. My "spare" time is filled with caring for our horses and donkeys, cutting, splitting and stacking firewood and doing household chores that family members demand since they don't think I'm doing "real" work (about half right). Also some work for our town as I'm on the select board, or town council. The revenue situation looks horrible so I am trying to avoid thinking about it right now.

I really miss the podcasts from my commute. Listening at home with interruptions isn't the same. Destination Linux, Twit, beer/brewing/food/cooking shows and the occasional Mintcast. Mostly just streaming music now.

I do enjoy being home to do noontime barn chores in the fresh air. And we are saving $$$ on gasoline.
lsemmens
Level 11
Level 11

Post by lsemmens »

"leisure time"??? :shock: What's that??? :shock: I'm retired and nursing a sick wife, I'm lucky to sleep for 8 hours in one stretch!
Fully mint Household
Out of my mind - please leave a message
dorsetUK
Level 5
Level 5

Post by dorsetUK »

lsemmens wrote: ‴Mon Apr 20, 2020 9:05 pm "leisure time"??? :shock: What's that??? :shock: I'm retired and nursing a sick wife, I'm lucky to sleep for 8 hours in one stretch!
Sorry to hear that lsemmens. All the best.

Thanks for the 'Clue' link - I think I'm about to smile.

I haven't seen Blakes Seven since the '80's. I wonder how well it stands up?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DXDd1zO ... 74&index=1

Jon
PhilAypee
Level 3
Level 3

Post by PhilAypee »

dorsetUK wrote: ‴Tue Apr 21, 2020 8:15 am
lsemmens wrote: ‴Mon Apr 20, 2020 9:05 pm "leisure time"??? :shock: What's that??? :shock: I'm retired and nursing a sick wife, I'm lucky to sleep for 8 hours in one stretch!
Sorry to hear that lsemmens. All the best.
Yes, my best wishes to you both. 😟
dorsetUK wrote: ‴Tue Apr 21, 2020 8:15 am Thanks for the 'Clue' link - I think I'm about to smile.

I haven't seen Blakes Seven since the '80's. I wonder how well it stands up?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DXDd1zO ... 74&index=1

Jon
Pretty well. Depending on peoples' erotic proclivities both Servalan and Avon still have a fair fan base. πŸ‘
Take care,
Phil.

dorsetUK
Level 5
Level 5

Post by dorsetUK »

PhilAypee wrote: ‴Tue Apr 21, 2020 8:55 am Pretty well. Depending on peoples' erotic proclivities both Servalan and Avon still have a fair fan base. πŸ‘
I was surprised when the magic of my search engine showed me that they still seem to be quite popular. Then I read that both actors have died and any 'erotic proclivities' were thoroughly extinguished. :(

Mind you, I always preferred Jenna - or was it Gan? :shock:
PhilAypee
Level 3
Level 3

Post by PhilAypee »

dorsetUK wrote: ‴Tue Apr 21, 2020 2:06 pm
PhilAypee wrote: ‴Tue Apr 21, 2020 8:55 am Pretty well. Depending on peoples' erotic proclivities both Servalan and Avon still have a fair fan base. πŸ‘
I was surprised when the magic of my search engine showed me that they still seem to be quite popular. Then I read that both actors have died and any 'erotic proclivities' were thoroughly extinguished. :(

Mind you, I always preferred Jenna - or was it Gan? :shock:
Since Gan (David Jackson) is dead you'll have to settle for Jenna (Sally Knyvette) :!:

If you enjoy both language and who-dun-its as much as I do you really should watch A Nero Wolfe Mystery.
A Nero Wolfe Mystery
It's a superb period P.I. mystery series - and the books are even better.
Take care,
Phil.

Lert
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Lert »

I watched again after a few years 'Man of Aran' . Some 1934 b/w goodness from the west of Ireland. A different time and place.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cwmc05qW0xc
You may ask why the French eat snails.. It's because they don't like fast food..
dorsetUK
Level 5
Level 5

Post by dorsetUK »

PhilAypee wrote: ‴Tue Apr 21, 2020 3:31 pm
dorsetUK wrote: ‴Tue Apr 21, 2020 2:06 pm Mind you, I always preferred Jenna - or was it Gan? :shock:
Since Gan (David Jackson) is dead you'll have to settle for Jenna (Sally Knyvette) :!:

If you enjoy both language and who-dun-its as much as I do you really should watch A Nero Wolfe Mystery.
A Nero Wolfe Mystery
It's a superb period P.I. mystery series - and the books are even better.
Sad about David Jackson, but if I have to settle, then Ms Knyvette would be preferable. :wink:

Episode 1 of Nero Wolfe is now in my Videos folder, and books - oh, books - I'm re-reading Raymond Chandler - what a damn fine writer. They're available as audio books, but somehow, I prefer my 'internal' voice.

Next on my list is Dashiell Hammett. I think 'The Maltese Falcon' is great both as film and a book. 'The Thin Man' is a good 'twisty' story and then there's 'The Glass Key', which I've never read.

I was thinking about listening to the Sam Spade series, but having tried one, may not.

More importantly, I've finally taken the time to learn how to embed the www. into the text.

Happy days :roll:
PhilAypee
Level 3
Level 3

Post by PhilAypee »

Lert wrote: ‴Wed Apr 22, 2020 5:08 am I watched again after a few years 'Man of Aran' . Some 1934 b/w goodness from the west of Ireland. A different time and place.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cwmc05qW0xc
The cinematographer on that film, John Taylor, was an extraordinarily nice man. His sister was married to the documentary pioneer John Grierson and he married one of the islanders daughters, Barbara Mullen (do you remember Dr Finlay's Casebook? - and look up her autobiography Life Is My Adventure). He worked with my father and I met them both. He made Holiday (on YouTube) which my father produced.

Holiday

Man Of Aran is not truly a documentary as some of the shark-fishing methods shown hadn't been used in decades and there were other anachronisms. :roll:

That having been said it is one of the earlier documentaries and remains a classic work to this day.
Take care,
Phil.

Tomgin5
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Tomgin5 »

I have been thoroughly enjoying "Grimm Reaper". Only about 2500+ pages but well worth reading. It is also a work in progress.
Portreve
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Portreve »

I'm lucky and fortunate to still have a job, so I won't complain about the situation.

However, on days off, I have been (occasionally) watching episodes of Babylon 5 and classic Battlestar Galactica.

I don't know why (maybe it showed up in my news feed? dunno...) but lately I've been watching and reading stuff to do with Dune, and last night specifically I watched a pair of lengthy (and spoiler ridden) videos which are making me want to either get an Audible subscription and get the audio books, or maybe even break down and get a tablet and then get the e-books.
Flying this flag in support of freedom πŸ‡ΊπŸ‡¦

Recommended keyboard layout: English (intl., with AltGR dead keys)

Podcasts: Linux Unplugged, Destination Linux

Also check out Thor Hartmannsson's Linux Tips YouTube Channel
rene
Level 20
Level 20

Post by rene »

Portreve wrote: ‴Sun May 03, 2020 2:16 am [ ... ] and get a tablet and then get the e-books.
Do not e-read on a tablet but buy an actual e-reader; eInk displays on latter make all the difference, backlight on former makes for fatiguing reading especially. Personal suggestion is Kobo and its much more open infrastructure but given that the US market doesn't seem to do DRM-free / social-DRM anyway, as to the devices itself Amazon Kindle is good as well. If you get a good device you may find yourself hooked in no time.

Return to β€œOpen Chat”