Best way to prepare partitioning space?

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
DallasHokie11

Best way to prepare partitioning space?

Post by DallasHokie11 »

Hi,

I plan to keep Mint as my main distro on my AA1, but I am still experimenting with other distros (non which I enjoy as much as Mint 7). But Mint has taken all of my HD.

How can I resize mint smaller, and leave about 10GB for another distro (I am planning on GoblinX mini edition) that won't interfere with Mint. I looked at GParted, but I cannot resize anything. Last time I partitioned 3 distros...it was a mess.

Thank you for any help!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
richyrich

Re: Best way to prepare partitioning space?

Post by richyrich »

Boot the Live CD ( you cannot change partitions if they are being used - thus the live cd ) , and use the Partition Manager ( GParted ) , right-click the partition that you want to shrink , choose Move/Resize, and resize it to whatever. It will take some time, and when it is done, leave the space you created free / unallocated / unformatted.
Then . . when you run the install of the other distro, you can choose the free space to install to ! ( you can use the original swap partition too )

Richy

EDIT: not sure the size of the other distro, but 10-20 Gb should suffice.

Return to “Installation & Boot”