Simple, easy way to find Audacity plug ins?

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
throatgorge
Level 2
Level 2

Simple, easy way to find Audacity plug ins?

Post by throatgorge »

I want Audacity for exactly ONE purpose-- vocal isolation and removal. I have installed all available (through software manager) LADSPA libraries and added over 100 effects and filters, but NOT the one I wanted.
The Audacity-team.org website directs me to a page where I can download various versions of audacity-- not the plugins, as promised... or maybe it's just a sh##load of different plug in in various packages with absolutely no guide to what I am actually installing.
The audacity forum search results for linux brings up a page with instructions that looks like it would provide me with HOURS or DAYS of trial and error to follow, which will doubtlessly leave me frustrated the first time I try a solution and get an error message or am missing the menu option I'm supposed to get.
Aught to be very simple... here! Here's a complete library of every plugin.
Just can't find it anywhere and this is already taking too long.

hal8000
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Simple, easy way to find Audacity plug ins?

Post by hal8000 »

I've just tried this took me 30 seconds. The plugin is already built into Audacity version on Mint 19.3 .
You need to load your audio file, select it with ctrl+A then go to "Effect" , scroll down until you see
plugin 1-15 and you'll find the "Vocal Reduction and Isolation" plugin at the bottom of this list.
Instructions here:

https://manual.audacityteam.org/man/voc ... ation.html

On a 3 minute mp3 it takes about 45 seconds to apply the filter. I hope you realise that this filter
will not be perfect and results vary depending on musical content and pitch of singers voice.
Hope that helps

throatgorge
Level 2
Level 2

Post by throatgorge »

Nope. All of that is exactly how you described it, but the option is the grey lettering that can't be clicked on, not the black lettering that functions when you click on it.
When I install plug ins, the effect link reads black and you can click on it. Thanks for your response.

Schultz
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Schultz »

throatgorge wrote:
Sat Apr 25, 2020 12:27 pm
Nope. All of that is exactly how you described it, but the option is the grey lettering that can't be clicked on, not the black lettering that functions when you click on it.
Then something must be wrong with your installation of Audacity, cause I'm able to use it.

trytip
Level 13
Level 13

Post by trytip »

what are you going on about? are you installing extensions if so can we get a link to it? not sure how good the vocal remover works didn't actually try it but it's there, in my case anyway

Flemur
Level 18
Level 18

Post by Flemur »

hal8000 wrote:
Fri Apr 24, 2020 5:43 pm
Instructions here:
https://manual.audacityteam.org/man/voc ... ation.html
On a 3 minute mp3 it takes about 45 seconds to apply the filter.
For me it's under Effect -> Plugin 16 to 17 -> Vocal Remover
It took about 2 seconds for a 2:29 song (Beatles "Act Naturally", and most of it sounded pretty good)
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?

Flemur
Level 18
Level 18

Post by Flemur »

throatgorge wrote:
Sat Apr 25, 2020 12:27 pm
Do you have some audio selected? Otherwise it's greyed out

Adobe audition is, of course, more friendly does the operation on the visible portion of the wave if nothing is explicitly selected
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?

Return to “Software & Applications”