I'm not leaving mint ever again

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
stig_latin_cousin
Level 1
Level 1

I'm not leaving mint ever again

Post by stig_latin_cousin »

Last year I graduated from university, and I wrote my entire thesis, did massive Matlab projects and C programming in this laptop, with mint 19.2. Later in the year, I needed to use software that only works on windows (I always dual boot), so W10 became my daily driver because of convenience.

A little while ago, I decided to come back to linux. I always heard that linux mint is just for "beginners", and if I really wanted to learn linux, I should use a more "serious" distro like debian, fedora, arch, etc. Well, I tried Manjaro, but I spent nearly 4 hours trying to get my bluetooth card to work and I gave up. I tried fedora but gnome 3 is unusable, level 3 keys don't work on gnome 3 fedora, which is super weird (I can't type ~ for example), and also it installed some weird live root /dev/mapper thing to boot which complicated other installations. I waited a few days for the new Ubuntu LTS because why not. I tried Ubuntu Mate, but there was this bug of a double wifi icon in the panel, and I didn't really like the general UI. To be honest, linux mint mate is way nicer than ubuntu mate.

Then I thought "why did I ever leave mint, exactly?". No real reason. I'm now back in 19.3 Cinammon and everything is just so familiar and clean and smooth, I feel like I've returned home. Absolutely nothing wrong during installation. I actually understand now why cinnamon resembles windows, it's because IT WORKS. This is meant to be used for people who actually work on their computer. The OS is here to serve me and help me do anything I want, not the other way around.

I'm not leaving ever again. This is fantastic.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
all41
Level 19
Level 19

Re: I'm not leaving mint ever again

Post by all41 »

claps.gif
claps.gif (5.15 KiB) Viewed 2840 times
Welcome to the forums
Everything in life was difficult before it became easy.
LanceM

Post by LanceM »

I'm in Mintopia too.
mino9421

Post by mino9421 »

stig_latin_cousin wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 9:29 pm Then I thought "why did I ever leave mint, exactly?". No real reason. I'm now back in 19.3 Cinammon and everything is just so familiar and clean and smooth, I feel like I've returned home. Absolutely nothing wrong during installation. I actually understand now why cinnamon resembles windows, it's because IT WORKS. This is meant to be used for people who actually work on their computer. The OS is here to serve me and help me do anything I want, not the other way around.
I felt same way I used so many distro became a distro hopper and in the end i was like wait Mint was the best i've ever used and whoever wants to say anything they can say it. This is where i feel home and comfortable and stable
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Lady Fitzgerald »

LanceM wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 8:23 pm I'm in Mintopia too.
Mintopia. I love that! :D
Jeannie

To ensure the safety of your data, you have to be proactive, not reactive, so, back it up!
Minux1
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Minux1 »

I think the 2016 hack scared a few away and kept a few on the fence in regards to jumping into LM with both feet.
Security or lack thereof is a big issue with most.
old_noob
Level 4
Level 4

Post by old_noob »

Yep. Mint just works. I play with many distros, for entertainment and hoping to find the new *best* OS, but they always have some fatal flaw that puts them behind LM.
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Post by AZgl1800 »

Your story resembles my miss-adventures with various distros of Linux.
I tried them all, a few were championed to be "the ultimate in usability" by a couple of friends.

well, those two had grown up with Unix when it first came out, and never used Windows ever....
their brains were hard wired in Unix code at the command line....

I, on the other hand, had worked successively with 3 major corporations that only used the Microsoft OS in various stages of progression over the decades... and I had to support that and help other people...

when I retired, I was tired of windows and the Blue Screens of stupidity and intrusion on my privacy.
So, I toured the distro landscape and when I came onto Mint Cinnamon in 17.3 that was the end of my search.
I loved 18.3 Cinnamon and swore nothing could tear me away from it........ but 19.3 sure did, it is the creme de la plume.

LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Pjotr »

I like Mint because it's user-friendly, high-quality and reliable. I'm extremely lazy; I love easy and problem-free. :mrgreen:
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
Minux1
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Minux1 »

I run Windows 10 (a necessary evil), OSX, various light Linux distros (Linux Mint XFCE v19.3, Peppermint Linux v10, MX Linux v19.1).
The Linux distros are several long strides and a tail length ahead of Windows and OSX in the usability race and nose to nose in computing experience with each other.
A few "retired" PCs that were collecting dust on the shelves and curb bound have been granted a new lease on life hosting the light Linux (XFCE desktop format) distros.
Nice seeing snappy performance from decade old PCs. :mrgreen:
Koning Mint

Post by Koning Mint »

i am afraid i migrate to fc32 tomorrow. :oops:
I got excited when i noticed tha relase of version 32 with kernel 5.6.X. :mrgreen:
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Pjotr »

Koning Mint wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 7:06 am i am afraid i migrate to fc32 tomorrow. :oops:
I got excited when i noticed tha relase of version 32 with kernel 5.6.X. :mrgreen:
The fatal lure of the bleeding edge.... There's no restraining the Fedora aficionados. Living dangerously is a lifestyle. :lol:
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
Koning Mint

Post by Koning Mint »

Pjotr wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 8:33 am
Koning Mint wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 7:06 am i am afraid i migrate to fc32 tomorrow. :oops:
The fatal lure of the bleeding edge.... There's no restraining the Fedora aficionados. Living dangerously is a lifestyle. :lol:
I like to be living on the edge :lol:
Beside that, i have never experienced any issues at all when using fedora core. 8)
nakednorman

Post by nakednorman »

@ Koning Mint
If kernel 5.6.X is the big attraction, then I can report that 5.6.0-050600 works fine with Mint 19.3 Cinnamon.
(I installed 5.6.0 because I wanted to run Wireguard with my VPN)
JesseRBassett
Level 3
Level 3

Post by JesseRBassett »

For me, Linux Mint is SO easy to install. The programs and apps are better than Windows 10, and my PC purrs like a ktten. I love Mint and am never switching distros ever again.
Sincerely,
Jesse R Bassett

My PC Specs:
https://onedrive.live.com/?cid=1B828140 ... ot&o=OneUp
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

welcome back.
:)

it's always nice to look around at the others, but even nicer to get Home again.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
Koning Mint

Post by Koning Mint »

Edit: Never mind. I changed my mind.
Last edited by Koning Mint on Tue Apr 28, 2020 2:58 am, edited 2 times in total.
Portreve
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Portreve »

This thread's title made me think of a routine by the comic Yakov Smirnoff:

American Express: Don't leave home without it.

Russian Express: Don't leave home.
Flying this flag in support of freedom 🇺🇦

Recommended keyboard layout: English (intl., with AltGR dead keys)

Podcasts: Linux Unplugged, Destination Linux

Also check out Thor Hartmannsson's Linux Tips YouTube Channel
Minux1
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Minux1 »

JesseRBassett wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 4:38 pm For me, Linux Mint is SO easy to install. The programs and apps are better than Windows 10, and my PC purrs like a ktten. I love Mint and am never switching distros ever again.
“Variety is the spice of life”
I don’t switch them ... I collect them.
I have Windows 10 computers, a MacBook Pro running Catalina, several computers hosting various Linux distros (Ubuntu, Kali, Peppermint, antiX, Linux Mint, MX Linux).
All the O/Ss have their weak and strong points.
stormryder

Post by stormryder »

Portreve wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 2:45 am Don't leave home.
Yea' been hearing that garbage a lot lately.

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”