How To: Google Chrome for Linux

Questions about the project and the distribution - obviously no support questions here please
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
RedWagon

How To: Google Chrome for Linux

Post by RedWagon »

The Google Chrome for Linux beta has become quite usable and is now the default browser for my desktop and netbook. Flash does not work yet, but everything else (so far) works great. I wouldn't uninstall Firefox yet, but it's definitely worth trying out. BTW, the same repo works for 64 bit and 32 bit.

add the following to /etc/apt/sources.list

Code: Select all

# Google software repository
deb http://dl.google.com/linux/deb/ stable non-free main
download the key:
https://dl-ssl.google.com/linux/linux_signing_key.pub

sudo apt-key add linux_signing_key.pub
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install google-chrome
Look in MintMenu -> Internet for Google Chrome. Enjoy!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Kaye

Re: How To: Google Chrome for Linux

Post by Kaye »

A nice and easy guide. I like it :)

I loved Chrome on Windows, but until flash support is added I'll be sticking with firefox. Also, I don't really love how it doesn't retain window border settings (ie. I have my window controls on the left, but Chrome leaves them on the right). For now the repo is sitting in my sources getting dusty, but I'm sure it'll come into full use some day soon :)
darco
Level 4
Level 4

Post by darco »

RedWagon wrote:The Google Chrome for Linux beta has become quite usable and is now the default browser for my desktop and netbook. Flash does not work yet, but everything else (so far) works great. I wouldn't uninstall Firefox yet, but it's definitely worth trying out. BTW, the same repo works for 64 bit and 32 bit.

add the following to /etc/apt/sources.list

# Google software repository
deb http://dl.google.com/linux/deb/ stable non-free main
download the key:
https://dl-ssl.google.com/linux/linux_signing_key.pub

sudo apt-key add linux_signing_key.pub
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install google-chrome
Look in MintMenu -> Internet for Google Chrome. Enjoy!
Well theres Chrome and Chromium....Chromium is the Open Source project and the Chrome browser is being developed by Google.
Flash works just fine in Chromium but no java support yet. (im sure flash probably works in Chrome too, just needs some tweaking)..
Also a x64 bit browser is in the works and should be out soon.
I am running the x32 Chromium in my Mint 7 x64 using an x32 flash player...Its by far the fastest browser out there and I love it!

darco
Last edited by darco on Tue Aug 18, 2009 11:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.
RedWagon

Post by RedWagon »

hmm... are you using the daily builds?
darco
Level 4
Level 4

Post by darco »

terrorblader

Post by terrorblader »

Great how-to!I was looking for Chrome today and did not find anything except some page where they said that it is a work in progress , no download link.
Very usefull!
Now to try the browser!

Edit : Ouch , Firefox has some serious competition!Chrome is a lot faster!
RedWagon

Post by RedWagon »

The only problem with Chromium is that any time I try to change the theme from that god-awful blue I get a segmentation fault and the program crashes.
darco
Level 4
Level 4

Post by darco »

Strange, no problem here.....

darco
vrkalak

Post by vrkalak »

I have been using Googles new Chromium browser for Linux for the past month.

I was included on a free CD in the Linux Format magazine . . . installed it into LinuxMint-7 with no problems.

I has crashed on me a couple of times in the past month. But, came back up, rather quickly.

I, too have changed the theme colours and fonts.
I like that as Open Source software, Chromium is customisable in most every way.

And . . . the Chromium browser is . . . is stupid fast!! :shock:
RedWagon

Post by RedWagon »

Linux Mint Forums, Ubuntu General Help, and ...Marijuana Growers Source?
darco
Level 4
Level 4

Post by darco »

heh...just wanted to show off the theme....

d
salixman

Post by salixman »

hmmm... well, i added the source list to synaptic, then downloaded the key. but when I put the code into the terminal to add the key it said it couldn't find it. Am I missing something? Oh, and pot kills brain cells.
salixman

Post by salixman »

I'll try chromium again, but when i ran it last (In ubuntu) I had issues with frequent crashes. But that was an older release.
lagagnon

Post by lagagnon »

Kaye wrote:I loved Chrome on Windows, but until flash support is added I'll be sticking with firefox.
Flash works : http://maketecheasier.com/enable-flash- ... 2009/08/19
Kaye

Post by Kaye »

Well, I take back what I've said before. Looks like even the unstable Flash support is very stable, definitely good enough for everyday use. I've been using Chrome for about a week now and I'm loving it :)
SxFlare

Post by SxFlare »

Chromium has become my main web browser, the flash works great (with all the error messages popping up on the terminal :D)
It was noticeably faster than Firefox and has a better feel than Opera, only beef I have is that I miss my customized hotkeys in Opera (no more one-handed websurfing on keyboard for certain sites)
And I gotta love the Developer Tools that comes with Chromium too, it's like using old-time Dreamweaver when inspecting code and design split view.
aehjr1

Post by aehjr1 »

I tried the installation as per Redwagon's instructions. It loaded well, but failed to import any bookmarks from Shiretoko. Those are the ones I really wanted, too. The only import option was (directly?) from Firefox, but even as my barebones Firefox 3.0 default install has several bookmarks, so why the import failed I can only guess.

Until Chrome can import bookmarks from an HTML file, it won't get a first glance from me. Happy for y'all, though. :)
lagagnon

Post by lagagnon »

aehjr1 wrote:Until Chrome can import bookmarks from an HTML file, it won't get a first glance from me. Happy for y'all, though. :)
It is still a Beta version - you can't expect everything to work. The Chrome developers would like your feedback - that is what Beta version in the open source community is all about.
dequire

Post by dequire »

Copa360 wrote:An easier way - Go here:

http://dev.chromium.org/getting-involved/dev-channel

Scroll down the page until you see the Linux section, then click on the appropriate .deb package (either 32 or 64-bit). It will then install Chrome on your system, plus add the Chrome repos so it stays up to date.

Worked like a charm for me! 8)
Worked for me, too! It also says that all future updates will be automatically applied.

And....wow :shock: is it ever faster than Firefox! I was having problems in Firefox where it gets so slow it's practically unusable on certain web pages. Not so in Chrome! I've included a few screen shots, 1st of a webpage in Firefox that was giving me nightmares. The 2nd is Chrome handling the same website at blazing speeds...

Notice the "loading" status on the new tab...that never went away...

Lastly, I really like how when you open a new tab, it shows a panel view of your eight most recent web pages. Sweeeeeeeeeet!!!! 8)

Time to say "goodbye" to Firefox maybe? ... :?:
dequire

Post by dequire »

aehjr1 wrote:I tried the installation as per Redwagon's instructions. It loaded well, but failed to import any bookmarks from Shiretoko. Those are the ones I really wanted, too. The only import option was (directly?) from Firefox, but even as my barebones Firefox 3.0 default install has several bookmarks, so why the import failed I can only guess.

Until Chrome can import bookmarks from an HTML file, it won't get a first glance from me. Happy for y'all, though. :)
The import of bookmarks and passwords from Firefox is working now, also... 8)

Return to “Non-technical Questions”