Ignorant Samba Questions

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
Cap
Level 2
Level 2

Ignorant Samba Questions

Post by Cap »

Does Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon include Samba installed default?
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Ignorant Samba Questions

Post by altair4 »

Mint installs a samba client library ( libsmbclient ) by default which has enough logic in it to access a SMB / Samba server.

What it does not install by default is the samba server package ( samba ) or the samba client utility ( smbclient ).

In Mint that is somewhat confusing since if you go to Software Manager the first thing you will see for samba is system-config-samba which should never be installed. It's removed from the Ubuntu repository.
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
GS3
Level 8
Level 8

Post by GS3 »

In the last few weeks I have installed LM19 on about half dozen computers and installing Samba to communicate with the Windows LAN has always given me the most trouble. Generally, after much tinkering, I manage the Windows computers get to access the LM shares but not the other way around. I just cannot get the LM computers to access the Windows computers.

And now comes the interesting part. Just yesterday I finished installing LM19 on an old laptop and because it was just for a temporary use by someone I decided to not bother installing Samba. And, guess what! Without installing Samba it could "see" the shares on the Windows LAN!

It made me think that maybe LM19 came with Samba installed and by me installing Samba I was damaging it or something. I was in a hurry and just gave the computer away and did not follow up with any investigation but it is a mystery to me how can all my computers with Samba fail to access the Windows LAN and yet the one that does not have Samba can see the servers on the LAN.

I have no idea what's going on.
Please do not use animated GIFs in avatars because many of us find them distracting and obnoxious. Thank you.
Cap
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Cap »

altair4 wrote:
Fri May 01, 2020 8:12 am
What it does not install by default is the samba server package ( samba ) or the samba client utility ( smbclient ).
Thank you for your help. Update Manager lists for me an available update samba. This update affects the following installed packages: includes smbclient

How may I discover when did smbclient become installed if it is not installed by default?
Cap
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Cap »

altair4 wrote:
Fri May 01, 2020 8:12 am
Mint installs a samba client library ( libsmbclient ) by default which has enough logic in it to access a SMB / Samba server.

Linux Mint 19.3 does install smbclient by default. I have now checked this.

If I will never share files with Microsoft Windows computers is there a reason to need Samba installed?

Return to “Newbie Questions”