I want to know the deadline for translation for 20.04LTS based Mint Cinnamon.

Help translate Linux Mint to other languages
Forum rules
No support questions here please. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
greengreen
Level 3
Level 3

I want to know the deadline for translation for 20.04LTS based Mint Cinnamon.

Post by greengreen »

Hi,

What is the deadline for submitting translation suggestions to launchpad for 20.04 LTS based Mint Cinnamon?

Thank you.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
I enjoy using LM, but do not feed the trolls.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: I want to know the deadline for translation for 20.04LTS based Mint Cinnamon.

Post by xenopeek »

Do you mean translations for software developed by Linux Mint for Linux Mint 20? Linux Mint 20 will probably be released mid this year but there is no set release date, or cut-off date for translations. I'd guess if you aim to have translations done somewhere in May it should be in time.

For translations for software components from the Ubuntu LTS 20.04 package base I can't say but would be this month I think as Ubuntu LTS 20.04 is planned for release next month.
greengreen
Level 3
Level 3

Re: I want to know the deadline for translation for 20.04LTS based Mint Cinnamon.

Post by greengreen »

Thank you for your reply.
I am sorry that my English is not clear. I am not a native English speaker.

I'm currently putting a translation in the launchpad for cinnamon-desktop-environment, but I'm worried that this activity will be in time for Mint Version 20.
I wanted to know the time limit.It can be approximate.
Maybe in May?

Thank you
greengreen
Level 3
Level 3

Post by greengreen »

Hi,

Ubuntu 20.04LTS released and It's May now.
Linux Mint 20 is scheduled to be released in June.

If anyone knows the specific deadline for translating into LaunchPad for Linux Mint 20, please let me know.
To work hard towards the deadline.

Thank you.

greengreen
Moonstone Man
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Moonstone Man »

greengreen wrote: Sat May 02, 2020 8:44 pm If anyone knows the specific deadline for translating into LaunchPad for Linux Mint 20, please let me know.
Maybe you missed this:
xenopeek wrote:there is no set release date
greengreen
Level 3
Level 3

Post by greengreen »

Kadaitcha Man wrote: Sat May 02, 2020 8:50 pm
greengreen wrote: Sat May 02, 2020 8:44 pm If anyone knows the specific deadline for translating into LaunchPad for Linux Mint 20, please let me know.
Maybe you missed this:
It will be released in June in the April article of the Linux Mint blog.
https://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=3890

greengreen
Moonstone Man
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Moonstone Man »

greengreen wrote: Sat May 02, 2020 8:59 pm
Kadaitcha Man wrote: Sat May 02, 2020 8:50 pm
Maybe you missed this:
It will be released in June in the April article of the Linux Mint blog.
https://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=3890
How convenient that you continue to ignore the fact that there is no release date. As always, a Linux Mint release is ready when it's ready.
MrEen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by MrEen »

Be aware that it says this (emphasis mine):
Work continues on Linux Mint 20 “Ulyana” which is planned for June this year.
greengreen
Level 3
Level 3

Post by greengreen »

I will take care of my English word usage.

I don't want to know the Linux Mint 20 release date, but the translation deadline.

greengreen
Moonstone Man
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Moonstone Man »

greengreen wrote: Sat May 02, 2020 9:08 pm I ... want to know ... the translation deadline.
Clearly, if there is no defined release date then there cannot be a deadline.

I fail to see what is so difficult to grasp about that.

There are no developers here. Try the community site: https://community.linuxmint.com/
greengreen
Level 3
Level 3

Post by greengreen »

Thank you for your reply.

The day will come when the translations entered in LanchPad for the Linux Mint packages will be siphoned by the Project team.
That should be reflected in the LM20.
Knowing when it will be the driving force for me to help with translation.

For example, "2 weeks before the release is a guideline for the deadline"
I wonder if that is something I can't even guess?
If so, I will look at the situation. :|

greengreen
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Post by smurphos »

https://github.com/linuxmint/cinnamon-t ... its/master

Translations are synced on the day of release of any new Cinnamon version. You can note from the commit history that for Cinnamon 4.4.x the first 4.4.x tagged release was towards the end of November which was about a week before the 19.3 beta. There were further translation updates part way through the beta, and then another a couple of weeks after stable release. So no deadline as such, but once Cinnamon 4.6.0 is tagged for release (I suspect this will happen in 2 to 3 weeks time) then you are looking at around a month before the stable release of Mint. I suspect the beta for Mint 20 will be longer than for recent releases as it's a new Ubuntu base.

Of course Arch Cinnamon users will appreciate translations being up to date on the initial tagged release of 4.6.x so if you want to help keep them happy aim to get translations up to date in the next couple of weeks and keep your eyes open for new translatable strings over the next few weeks.,
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.
greengreen
Level 3
Level 3

Post by greengreen »

smurphos wrote: Sun May 03, 2020 12:40 am https://github.com/linuxmint/cinnamon-t ... its/master

Translations are synced on the day of release of any new Cinnamon version. You can note from the commit history that for Cinnamon 4.4.x the first 4.4.x tagged release was towards the end of November which was about a week before the 19.3 beta. There were further translation updates part way through the beta, and then another a couple of weeks after stable release. So no deadline as such, but once Cinnamon 4.6.0 is tagged for release (I suspect this will happen in 2 to 3 weeks time) then you are looking at around a month before the stable release of Mint. I suspect the beta for Mint 20 will be longer than for recent releases as it's a new Ubuntu base.

Of course Arch Cinnamon users will appreciate translations being up to date on the initial tagged release of 4.6.x so if you want to help keep them happy aim to get translations up to date in the next couple of weeks and keep your eyes open for new translatable strings over the next few weeks.,
Thank you for your constant helping.
That's nice information.
I'll do my best to translate towards LM20.

greengreen

PS. I love the themes you proposed previously
JosephM
Level 6
Level 6

Post by JosephM »

New translations are pulled and updated pretty much right up the the release of Mint. And sometimes can even happen after if there is a good reason.
When I give opinions, they are my own. Not necessarily those of any other Linux Mint developer or the Linux Mint project as a whole.
greengreen
Level 3
Level 3

Post by greengreen »

JosephM wrote: Sun May 03, 2020 9:50 am New translations are pulled and updated pretty much right up the the release of Mint. And sometimes can even happen after if there is a good reason.
Thank you comment.

New app "Warpinator" which will be installed on LN20 has been listed on LaunchPad translation page.
I expect it to be exactly what you say.

greengreen
greengreen
Level 3
Level 3

Post by greengreen »

Information feedback

It seems that the translation was pulled at this timing.

https://github.com/linuxmint/cinnamon-t ... its/master

greengreen
greengreen
Level 3
Level 3

Post by greengreen »

greengreen wrote: Sun May 03, 2020 12:59 am
smurphos wrote: Sun May 03, 2020 12:40 am https://github.com/linuxmint/cinnamon-t ... its/master

The translation I had done was in time for LM20 beta.
Thanks to your information.
Thank you again

greengreen
greengreen
Level 3
Level 3

Post by greengreen »

I'll record here the deadline on LaunchPad leading up to Linux Mint 20.

For translators,Github Commits = the once deadline on LaunchPad

Github Commits July 28, 2019
Github Commits November 26, 2019
ver.19.3 BETA released December 3, 2019
Github Commits December 11, 2019
ver.19.3 released December 18, 2019
Github Commits January 06, 2020
Github Commits May 12, 2020 ↓
ver.20BETA released June 14, 2020
Github Commits June 17, 2020 ↓
It came down June 18, 2020
Github Commits June 24, 2020 ↓
It came down June 24, 2020
ver.20 released June 28, 2020
Github Commits xx/xx/xx

Return to “Translations”