Remove Samba?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Cap
Level 2
Level 2

Remove Samba?

Post by Cap »

Can I safely remove Samba? I do not share files with Microsoft Windows computers.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Moonstone Man
Level 16
Level 16

Re: Remove Samba?

Post by Moonstone Man »

Cap wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 6:17 am Can I safely remove Samba? I do not share files with Microsoft Windows computers.
Sure you can, but it might come in useful when you want to share with another local Linux machine, unless you plan to use nfs.
Cap
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Cap »

Kadaitcha Man wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 6:21 amSure you can, but it might come in useful when you want to share with another local Linux machine, unless you plan to use nfs.
Okay thanks. I thought there may be dependencies on Samba that will cause problems if I remove it.

I do not plan any file sharing. How do I remove Samba?
Moonstone Man
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Moonstone Man »

Cap wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 6:32 am I do not plan any file sharing. How do I remove Samba?
sudo apt remove --purge samba
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Post by altair4 »

"samba" the package - as in the samba server package? Or all things samba?

If you remove all things samba you will remove gvfs-backends since libsmbclient is a dependency. That in turn will disable certain file manager capabilities: https://wiki.gnome.org/Projects/gvfs/backends
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
Moonstone Man
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Moonstone Man »

altair4 wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 7:09 am "samba" the package - as in the samba server package? Or all things samba?

If you remove all things samba you will remove gvfs-backends since libsmbclient is a dependency. That in turn will disable certain file manager capabilities: https://wiki.gnome.org/Projects/gvfs/backends
I did a dry run on the remove and didn't get any dependencies reported back for the command I posted. Have I advised the poster incorrectly?
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Post by altair4 »

That is why I asked if we were talking about "samba" the package or "all things samba".

If you remove libsmbclient you will remove gvfs-backends:
tester@vmint193cinn:~$ sudo apt remove libsmbclient
[sudo] password for tester:
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
The following packages will be REMOVED:
celluloid gvfs-backends libmpv1 libsmbclient smbclient
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
Cap
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Cap »

I thought Samba was only a optional component for sharing files the Microsoft Windows way. Now I am learning it is more integrate into Linux Mint.
altair4 wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 7:26 am That is why I asked if we were talking about "samba" the package or "all things samba".

If you remove libsmbclient you will remove gvfs-backends:
My ideal is to remove all things samba however I now understand that some package have dependants that I do not want to remove. I think removing gvfs-backends would not be good. To learn dependencies of packages I used apt remove as you show.

libsmbclient and libwbclient0 have many. I think I should not remove them. However I think I can remove nemo-share python-samba samba-common-bin and smbclient.

I am also thinking to remove samba-common casper lupin-casper and cifs-utils but perhaps that would cause problems? Your advice is appreciated.
Cap
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Cap »

I removed smbclient and nemo-share

Return to “Beginner Questions”