Simulate Terminal Behaviour via UI

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
nmzs

Simulate Terminal Behaviour via UI

Post by nmzs »

Hi,

I am on Linux Mint (LMDE 4, Buster, 64bit) and I have a binary executable file which runs fine if opened in Terminal. However if I click this original file (no desktop-launcher) from graphical interface it does not. Since the binary hasn't changed meanwhile, it must have something to do with how it was invoked. So... How do I get a carbon copy of the Terminal-behaviour by clicking on this goddamn file?

Additional info: I have also already tried to change the OS-behaviour in FileManager > Settings > Behaviour > Run executable textfiles and changed permission to Read/Write for current user from the graphical(!) interface. If it is binary itself - although I doubt it - I am fine with simulating or faking that it was invoked by Terminal.

EDIT: I have the assumption, that it has something to to with a path exported by .bashrc which doesn't reach out to the whole system or user-specific environment variables. However, I don't know how to fix that either. I am pretty irritated if that's a Linux policy. I don't see any contribution to security.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Re: Simulate Terminal Behaviur via UI

Post by smurphos »

Hi,

Have you tried just creating a launcher pointing at the executable?
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.
nmzs

Post by nmzs »

I did. But didn't work out. Got the same error message. However. Here is how I "fixed" it since I cross-posted in different forums:

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/617 ... 8#61762228
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Post by smurphos »

Where you adding paths to ~/.bashrc?

The OS main shell is dash not bash - bash is only the default (and bashrc only sourced) when you open a terminal or source bash specifically.

Anyway just guessing what may have caused the problem - without knowing what the executable is...
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.

Return to “Software & Applications”