Restore XFCE Appearance? [SOLVED]

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
ralplpcr
Level 5
Level 5

Restore XFCE Appearance? [SOLVED]

Post by ralplpcr »

I recently applied some Update Manager packages into XFCE Mint 19.3 as usual. This particular update included a kernel update to 5.3.0-51, so I had to perform a reboot after the updates were applied.

After the reboot, all the Mint customizations to the XFCE interface are no longer appearing. I now have the "Whisker" XFCE defaults with the panel on the top of the screen & a docker-like panel centered at the bottom.

I've seen somewhere on here a set of instructions to restore the Mint customizations back into XFCE if/when this happens.
Can someone please either re-post them here, or send me a link to them?
Last edited by ralplpcr on Wed May 13, 2020 11:07 am, edited 3 times in total.
Pjotr
Level 22
Level 22

Re: Restore XFCE Appearance?

Post by Pjotr »

Try two consecutive reboots. Might be sufficient (if you're lucky).
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 20.1 Ulyssa
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
ralplpcr
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Restore XFCE Appearance?

Post by ralplpcr »

Unfortunately, it didn't work that way. I'm still getting the non-Mint version of XFCE.

I also found a post from Karlchen that I tried - - it didn't do the trick either.
viewtopic.php?p=1658467#p1658467

Still searching.....
ralplpcr
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Restore XFCE Appearance? [Semi-SOLVED?]

Post by ralplpcr »

Found it - - it was a post from Xenopeek back in 2013.

I unfortunately lost my wallpaper in the process... but that's an easy thing to fix. :)

See the instructions here: viewtopic.php?p=671716#p671716
(I performed this through an SSH session while not logged into the GUI)

EDIT: While this partially solved the issue, the Mint customizations are not completely restored. For example, the XFCE menu now appears to be a very old version - - like from Mint 13? It all *works*.... but it certainly looks different now?

I'll keep digging....
ralplpcr
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Restore XFCE Appearance? [SOLVED]

Post by ralplpcr »

Ok, got it now.

Building on Xenopeek's instructions, I had to go into the XFCE settings.
First, I went into the "Appearance" settings & reset everything to the "Mint-Y" versions - - they had somehow been all changed to "Adwaita"?

I then went to the "Desktop Settings" and changed the Window Manager back to "Compiz". It was set to "Xfwm4". I'm not sure if "Compiz" is what it was set to previously (ie - before this issue began?), but everything now appears to be displaying/acting correctly.

I'll mark this as solved. Wish I knew what happened during that otherwise "routine" update... but at least it's all back to looking & acting normally now?
MrEen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by MrEen »

Hi ralplpcr,

This is the command I've been suggesting to users with the same issue that I originally got from zcot:

Code: Select all

xfce4-panel --quit ; pkill xfconfd ; rm -rf ~/.config/xfce4/panel ; rm -rf ~/.config/xfce4/xfconf/xfce-perchannel-xml/xfce4-panel.xml ; xfce4-panel
This has been creeping up a lot lately, but it's still unknown what is causing it. So far, I've not heard of any user having it happen twice. It hit me quite some time ago and has never returned.
ralplpcr
Level 5
Level 5

Post by ralplpcr »

Thanks, Mr Een - - hopefully it won't pop up on me again, but if it does, I'll give that a try. :)
cdawe
Level 1
Level 1

Post by cdawe »

At least I know that I’m not alone in this now.

When I reinstalled 19.3 Xfce yesterday, I was greeted by the start menu and panel at the bottom left hand side of the screen. From there, I was able to right-click on newly installed applications and add them to the desktop.

At some point I, too, logged back in, after having logged out. Strangely, I didn’t have the bottom left hand side start menu and bottom panel anymore. Now, the start menu and panel were on top of my desktop screen. Worse to me was the fact that I could no longer right-click on any of the newly installed apps in the start menu to add their icons to the desktop anymore. The menu behaved completely differently.

It’s my opinion, which more than likely is wrong, that when I had logged in remotely to 19.3 Mint Xfce, the remotely presented Xfce menu, which was the one with the start menu, the Applications menu, etc. on top of the screen, became saved as the default session for when I logged in again, and hence was the desktop I was presented with when I once again logged in locally.

But I don’t want that to be the desktop version I have when I log in locally. I want it to be the original desktop I was presented with when I installed the OS “new.”

How do I achieve this, folks?

Curt
MrEen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by MrEen »

Hi cdawe,

If you can reproduce this consistently, it might be worth bringing it up with the developers. That's been the problem in that they could not reproduce the issue, so couldn't fix it.

I cannot find where to report such for Xfce, so hopefully someone else will know and chime in.

EDIT: In case it matters, do you have "Automatically save session on logout" enabled in Menu > Settings > Session and Startup > General tab? I don't and got hit by this once, but your description makes me wonder if you might.

Return to “Newbie Questions”