AMD GPU GUI Settings?

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
AidFHonda
Level 2
Level 2

AMD GPU GUI Settings?

Post by AidFHonda »

Hi all,

I recently upgraded my aging NVIDIA graphics card to a brand-new AMD Radeon RX570. Does anyone know if the AMD cards have any equivalent of the "NVIDIA X Server Settings" and how to install and use it?

I want to keep an eye on the temperature and usage of this new GPU (and I want to be able to set my monitor refresh rate to 75Hz, at least, for the two out of three that support it).

This is my first new graphics card, and I'm still pretty new to Linux.

inxi -G output:

Code: Select all

aidan@Aidan-PC:~$ inxi -G
Graphics:
  Device-1: AMD Ellesmere [Radeon RX 470/480/570/570X/580/580X] 
  driver: amdgpu v: 5.4.7.20.10 
  Display: x11 server: X.Org 1.20.5 driver: amdgpu,ati 
  unloaded: fbdev,modesetting,vesa resolution: 1024x768~60Hz, 1920x1080~60Hz 
  OpenGL: renderer: Radeon RX 570 Series 
  v: 4.6.13594 Core Profile Context 20.10 
aidan@Aidan-PC:~$ 
Note that only two monitors are connected as I don't have the correct cable for the third. One supports 75Hz, the other does not.
ugly
Level 4
Level 4

Re: AMD GPU GUI Settings?

Post by ugly »

There isn't an official tool.

You can try radeon-profile

Another option might be WattmanGTK, but I've never tried it.
spamegg
Level 4
Level 4

Post by spamegg »

For temperature you can use Psensor

Code: Select all

sudo apt install psensor
AidFHonda
Level 2
Level 2

Post by AidFHonda »

Thanks.

I was tipped off about a program called Catalyst Control Center (or AMD Control Center for Linux) but haven't had a ton of luck finding a downloadable link. Is there a sudo apt install command that I can use for it?

I also downloaded a driver from AMD - the install command was ./amdgpu-install -y. Not sure what that's supposed to do... is there a GUI associated with that?
oldgranola
Level 4
Level 4

Post by oldgranola »

Hi, Just so we're on the same page a little review. First I assume you are on Linux Mint19.3 Cinnamon, you should always be explicit. You have kernel 5.4 series per your info. You are already using the open source amd graphics driver AMDGPU that comes with the kernel.
In linux, most hardware 'drivers' support is built into the kernel and such is referred to as the 'open source' driver version, not really a driver though.
AMD stopped most work on separate proprietary linux drivers such as FGLRX some time ago and shifted to supporting kernel development. Their newest hardware is supported in the latest kernels and looks like you are up new enough. Unfortunately, AMD doesn't make nice GUI interfaces to expose more detailed options or hooks and neither is that available in linux desktops to a very satisfying degree. Thus you need to use other tools that can access hardware sensors etc. such as psensor mentioned above. There are other ways to overclock etc via manual file editing but not my expertise. AMD does make AMDGPU-PRO available for newer hardware that you can download, compile, install yourself. In Ubuntu 20.04 which LM20 will be based on, getting AMDGPU pro etc and more advanced graphics goodies should be easier. Note, performance for gamers etc tends to be better using AMDGPU regular open source driver. Here is a nice article for ubuntu 20 that sums some points up. [url]https://linuxconfig.org/amd-radeon ... stallation[/url]
comadore, pcDOS, hpux, solaris, vms-vax ....blah blah blah..
Yet I'm still a fn nooob

Return to “Newbie Questions”