[solved] How can I go directly from the crypt password to my desktop, bypassing username/password screen?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
pepperminty
Level 6
Level 6

[solved] How can I go directly from the crypt password to my desktop, bypassing username/password screen?

Post by pepperminty »

When I boot up my Linux Mint 19.3 computer, I first see an "sda3_crypt" blank with an Linux Mint logo and a black background. After I enter that, I then am taken to a screen where it asks for the username and password (the same password as sudo).

How can I go directly from the sda3_crypt password blank to my desktop, bypassingt he username and password screen?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
rene
Level 20
Level 20

Re: How can I go directly from the crypt password to my desktop, bypassing username/password screen?

Post by rene »

You want to automatically login. Settings -> Login Window -> Users, supply the username to autologin under Automatic Login.
pepperminty
Level 6
Level 6

Re: How can I go directly from the crypt password to my desktop, bypassing username/password screen?

Post by pepperminty »

Hi Rene,

thanks for your reply. I did as you said and supplied my username in the "username" blank in the "Automatic login" section of "Users" section of "Login Window".
Even after a reboot, however, I still need to enter my username and password.

When I mouse-hover over the word "Username" in the Login Window>Automatic Login section, I see a popup box that says
Warning: Automatic login will fail if the user's home directory is encrypted
When I fresh-installed Mint 19.3, I believe I have not just my home directory, but the entire SSD to be encrypted.
rene
Level 20
Level 20

Post by rene »

Home-directory encryption is indeed incompatible with autologin: your home-directory gets encrypted with your login password (actually indirectly so, but never mind) so clearly autologin entirely defeats the purpose of home-directory encryption.

The "sda3_crypt" password enquiry you describe is indeed from full-disk encryption --- which given that unless you did creative things to split off your home directory from the "full-disk" means it entirely defeats the purpose of home-directory encryption in another way; makes it useless and wastes perfectly good CPU cycles for no reason.

That is: don't pick BOTH full-disk and home-directory encryption. If former, latter is unnecessary. Undoing latter is possible, see e.g. https://www.howtogeek.com/116179/how-to ... ng-ubuntu/ but if you're very uncomfortable using the command line, well, you could reinstall...
pepperminty
Level 6
Level 6

Post by pepperminty »

If I recall corectly, I didn't choose both "home-directory encryption" and "full-disk encryption". IIRC, when I did the fresh install, the installer asked me about encryption, and I chose Encrypt the entire volume/disk.

Is there a way to check which of the 2 (or whether both) encryptions I have on my computer?
rene
Level 20
Level 20

Post by rene »

Sure. mount -t ecryptfs should show your home directory if you have home-directory encryption set up.
pepperminty
Level 6
Level 6

Post by pepperminty »

I run mount -t ecryptfs and see this:
/home/.ecryptfs/pepperminty/.Private on /home/pepperminty type ecryptfs (rw,nosuid,nodev,relatime,ecryptfs_fnek_sig=7bb7aeddfbb68224,ecryptfs_sig=206d028ef66dd709,ecryptfs_cipher=aes,ecryptfs_key_bytes=16,ecryptfs_unlink_sigs)
So does this mean I have double encryption?
rene
Level 20
Level 20

Post by rene »

Yup.
pepperminty
Level 6
Level 6

Post by pepperminty »

How can I undo home-disk encryption while keeping full-disk encryption? I read somewhere that it's better to have full-disk encryption, rather than home-disk encryption.
rene
Level 20
Level 20

Post by rene »

The above "howtogeek" link runs you through it. As system-surgery goes I'd say it's top 40% so, as said, if you're not comfortable...
pepperminty
Level 6
Level 6

Post by pepperminty »

thanks for confirming. I'm comfortable with Terminal. Gonna run through those How2Geek steps now. thanks.
pepperminty
Level 6
Level 6

Post by pepperminty »

hi rene,

I'm now at the "Remove Encryption" section. I ran sudo rm -rf /home/pepperminty but it says
rm: cannot remove '/home/pepperminty': Device or resource busy
In case you're wondering, I'm logged into the temporary account I've just created a minute ago.
pepperminty
Level 6
Level 6

Post by pepperminty »

Nevermind. I restarted the computer and now the command works.
pepperminty
Level 6
Level 6

Post by pepperminty »

Nice, it works. I can go directly from crypt password to my desktop.

Thanks!
rene
Level 20
Level 20

Re: [solved] How can I go directly from the crypt password to my desktop, bypassing username/password screen?

Post by rene »

Very nice.

Return to “Beginner Questions”