How to "activate"(?) my new ssd

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
MrHansi
Level 1
Level 1

How to "activate"(?) my new ssd

Post by MrHansi »

Hello guys,

so I bought in fact 2 ssds (500gb samsung evo 960 if thats important). I also installed them in my desktop. My goal was to use 1 of those ssds on my windows partition and one for my linux partition. My problem is that windows doesnt even recognizes the new ssds, the linux partition "sees" both ssds but if I type in df -h I only see how much space is left on the current ssd and I dont know how I could access the new one. Can someone help me? I know I probably sound like the stupidest guy on this forum... But I really tried and dont know how to solve this issue

greetings

deepakdeshp
Level 17
Level 17

Re: How to "activate"(?) my new ssd

Post by deepakdeshp »

If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help, and keeps the forum clean.
Regards,
Deepak

I am using Mint 19.3 Cinnamon 64 bit with AMD A8/7410 processor . Memory 8GB

GS3
Level 6
Level 6

Post by GS3 »

MrHansi wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 2:55 pm
I bought in fact 2 ssds (500gb samsung evo 960 if thats important). I also installed them in my desktop. My goal was to use 1 of those ssds on my windows partition and one for my linux partition. My problem is that windows doesnt even recognizes the new ssds, the linux partition "sees" both ssds but if I type in df -h I only see how much space is left on the current ssd and I dont know how I could access the new one. Can someone help me? I know I probably sound like the stupidest guy on this forum... But I really tried and dont know how to solve this issue
Are they formatted? Did you format them?
HP Compaq Elite 8300 CMT - Linux Mint 18.2 Sonya - Kernel 4.4.0-171-generic x86_64 - Cinnamon 3.4.4 - Nemo
HP Compaq Elite 8300 CMT - Linux Mint 19.3 Tricia - Kernel 5.3.0-51-generic x86_64 - Cinnamon 4.4.8 - Nvidia GF108

MrHansi
Level 1
Level 1

Post by MrHansi »

I dont know. I opened my pc and plugged in the sata cable to my ssd and my mainboard. And then I rebooted my pc.

GS3
Level 6
Level 6

Post by GS3 »

MrHansi wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 3:56 pm
I dont know. I opened my pc and plugged in the sata cable to my ssd and my mainboard. And then I rebooted my pc.
They are probably not formatted. If you are going to install Linux OS in one that will format it. If you just want it for data storage you can format it by going to Preferences - Disks- Format. For Linux use Etx4. For Windows use NTFS. Be careful not to format the wrong disk.
HP Compaq Elite 8300 CMT - Linux Mint 18.2 Sonya - Kernel 4.4.0-171-generic x86_64 - Cinnamon 3.4.4 - Nemo
HP Compaq Elite 8300 CMT - Linux Mint 19.3 Tricia - Kernel 5.3.0-51-generic x86_64 - Cinnamon 4.4.8 - Nvidia GF108

MrHansi
Level 1
Level 1

Post by MrHansi »

Wait could you elaborate? So I boot my linux partition and then what do I type in to my terminal to formatthe ssd?

GS3
Level 6
Level 6

Post by GS3 »

MrHansi wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 5:49 pm
Wait could you elaborate? So I boot my linux partition and then what do I type in to my terminal to formatthe ssd?
Boot into Linux. Go to Start - Preferences - Disks

There, in the left column, you will see all physical disks, whether formatted or not.

In the right panel you can see their structure, partitions, etc.

Make sure you are identifying and selecting the right disk. They would show no partitions. the ones with partitions will show the info for each partition.

Select the one you want to format and in tools select format and the format type, ntfs, etc. You can make one or several partitions, etc. Look around and study all the options.

Once formatted you might need to mount the partition for it to show in the file manager.

Return to “Newbie Questions”