Weird dual screen display artefacts and mouse flickering

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Moltenhead

Weird dual screen display artefacts and mouse flickering

Post by Moltenhead »

Hi,

Here is a pastbin of inxi result : inxi inf.

I have a MB169B+ screen which I'm trying to use on my setup. I've successfully installed DIsplayLink Driver (version 5.2.4 since 5.3.0.28 was not working).
But now, when I go to Settings > Display and activate any form of dual screen (laptop monitor as main or the MB169B+ as main), I get those very weird visual glitch:
  • Mouse icon flickers and sometimes appear with a non alpha background reminiscent of previous element that was behind the mouse(text, colors, forms, ...)
  • Moving the mouse on some windows will produce artefacts of previous position of the mouse - leaving kind of a discontinuous trail of mouse icons - those artefacts are flickering also
  • The previous is also true if I move the mouse out of a window. Those artefacts will get produced not on the window itself, but on anything which is behind for more or less 1 or 2 seconds
  • clicking on some window elements or on the desktop will clear the existing artefacts
  • moving the cursor with arrows keys within this topic edition is triggering the flicker for every-time the cursor moved (accelerating the flickering)
Any idea about how to fix this thing ?

EDIT : Here are some urls to gifs showing what is happening :
Within forum editor
In and out of windows
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 7 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
MrEen
Level 23
Level 23

Re: Weird dual screen display artefacts and mouse twitching displacement

Post by MrEen »

Hi Moltenhead, and welcome to the forum.

I suck at helping with graphics issues, but noticed a pertinent detail missing in your inxi output. Only one monitor was connected:
Graphics:
Device-1: Intel vendor: Dell driver: i915 v: kernel bus ID: 00:02.0
chip ID: 8086:3ea0
Device-2: AMD Jet PRO [Radeon R5 M230] vendor: Dell driver: N/A
bus ID: 01:00.0 chip ID: 1002:6665
Display: x11 server: X.Org 1.20.5 driver: modesetting unloaded: fbdev,vesa
resolution: 1920x1080~60Hz
OpenGL: renderer: Mesa DRI Intel UHD Graphics (Whiskey Lake 3x8 GT2)
v: 4.5 Mesa 19.2.8 compat-v: 3.0 direct render: Yes
Did you possibly run inxi while the MB169B+ wasn't connected?

This also ignores the fact there's no driver loaded for the Radeon card. Not sure if that's also an issue.
Moltenhead

Re: Weird dual screen display artefacts and mouse flickering

Post by Moltenhead »

You are right I did it without dual screen setup. Here is the Graphics part with it :
Graphics: Device-1: Intel vendor: Dell driver: i915 v: kernel bus ID: 00:02.0 chip ID: 8086:3ea0
Device-2: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD/ATI] Jet PRO [Radeon R5 M230] vendor: Dell driver: N/A bus ID: 01:00.0
chip ID: 1002:6665
Display: x11 server: X.Org 1.20.5 driver: modesetting unloaded: fbdev,vesa
resolution: 1920x1080~60Hz, 1920x1080~60Hz
OpenGL: renderer: Mesa DRI Intel UHD Graphics (Whiskey Lake 3x8 GT2) v: 4.5 Mesa 19.2.8 compat-v: 3.0
direct render: Yes
And I was unable to install a proper driver for my GPU yet ... this R5 M230 seems to be kind of trouble for lots of linux users.

EDIT : tried to reinstall fglrx with success this time, my driver manager is giving me choice between xserver-xorg-ati or fglrx now, fglrx is checked but even after couple reboots inxi is still saying the GPU has no driver.
MrEen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by MrEen »

Did you try the ati driver? Like I said, I suck at these issues, but I think fglrx doesn't work on anything after Mint 17.x/Ubuntu 14.04.
Moltenhead

Post by Moltenhead »

Got back to the ati one anyway : had trouble with some apps with fglrx. But still : neither get referenced within inxi report and neither correct the graphical glitch - and that's with a couple reboots already.
MrEen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by MrEen »

Gotcha. We'll need to wait for proper graphics help.

Return to “Hardware Support”