Bluetooth adapter not found.

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Ryan Xia

Bluetooth adapter not found.

Post by Ryan Xia »

I tried to enable Bluetooth on ubuntu. My laptop, a Dell Studio, is a very old model.
I got this error message, "Bluetooth adapter not found".
Can someone help me? Thank you!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Shubh64337
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Bluetooth adapter not found.

Post by Shubh64337 »

Hi, I am new here so I do not know too much about this, but can you please go into a terminal and reply with the output of

sudo dmesg | grep -i Blue
Ryan Xia

Post by Ryan Xia »

Shubh64337 wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 6:28 pm Hi, I am new here so I do not know too much about this, but can you please go into a terminal and reply with the output of

sudo dmesg | grep -i Blue
thank you!
The output was empty.
Shubh64337
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Shubh64337 »

Please reply with the output of sudo dmesg | grep -i Blue after running this command:
sudo modprobe btusb
Ryan Xia

Post by Ryan Xia »

Shubh64337 wrote: Sat May 23, 2020 8:14 am Please reply with the output of sudo dmesg | grep -i Blue after running this command:
sudo modprobe btusb
My output was,

Code: Select all

[ 1216.650551] Bluetooth: Core ver 2.22
[ 1216.650594] Bluetooth: HCI device and connection manager initialized
[ 1216.650599] Bluetooth: HCI socket layer initialized
[ 1216.650603] Bluetooth: L2CAP socket layer initialized
[ 1216.650614] Bluetooth: SCO socket layer initialized
Shubh64337
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Shubh64337 »

Ok, so I had the same problem. There is a device named hci0, which is not in your dmesg output. I think it is not detected by your kernel. This happened with my dual boot mint installation too. To fix this, I had to switch to an older kernel, after which bluetooth started working. Can you tell me which kernel version you have? You can get it by using command

uname -r
Moreover, can you provide some more details like are you using a dual boot system? What bluetooth adapter is installed on your pc? (If it is a dual boot with windows, you can check it by going to device manager in windows). In my case, I had installed Linux Mint 19.3 which has kernel version 5.0.0-32, which did not detect my Realtek bluetooth adapter. When I installed kernel version 4.19.6 and booted from that kernel, hci0 device started getting detected by kernel and bluletooth started working fine.
Ryan Xia

Post by Ryan Xia »

Shubh64337 wrote: Sat May 23, 2020 12:12 pm Ok, so I had the same problem. There is a device named hci0, which is not in your dmesg output. I think it is not detected by your kernel. This happened with my dual boot mint installation too. To fix this, I had to switch to an older kernel, after which bluetooth started working. Can you tell me which kernel version you have? You can get it by using command

uname -r
Moreover, can you provide some more details like are you using a dual boot system? What bluetooth adapter is installed on your pc? (If it is a dual boot with windows, you can check it by going to device manager in windows). In my case, I had installed Linux Mint 19.3 which has kernel version 5.0.0-32, which did not detect my Realtek bluetooth adapter. When I installed kernel version 4.19.6 and booted from that kernel, hci0 device started getting detected by kernel and bluletooth started working fine.
I got,

4.15.0-101-generic
when I typed

uname -r
Shubh64337
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Shubh64337 »

Did you check which bluetooth adapter you have?
Ryan Xia

Post by Ryan Xia »

Shubh64337 wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 12:17 am Did you check which bluetooth adapter you have?
I don't know, how do you check it?
Shubh64337
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Shubh64337 »

Do you have Windows installed too on your laptop?
Ryan Xia

Post by Ryan Xia »

Shubh64337 wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 10:55 am Do you have Windows installed too on your laptop?
No, I have Ubuntu installed.
Shubh64337
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Shubh64337 »

Then you will have to check your computer's manuals etc. to find out the name of bluetooth adapter. Look at the underside of your laptop too, you may find the name near the battery slot.

Return to “Hardware Support”