What is your favorite internet search engine and why?

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
ParaDice
Level 4
Level 4

Re: What is your favorite internet search engine and why?

Post by ParaDice »

carum carvi wrote: Sat Oct 05, 2019 12:54 pm I still use DDG as well. I love the ability to select any text in Firefox and right click for a search in DDG.
Hey, I didn't know about that one yet. Thanks! (I'm not sure whether I'll use it much, though. Hitting Ctrl + C, Ctrl + T and Ctrl + V + Enter to copy the selection to a new tab and search for it may be quicker yet. ;))

I'm yet another Duckin' fanboy on this thread. I try to avoid anything Google-related, which includes directing traffic their way via startpage. Also, Duckduck's bangs feel extremely intuitive and can save you a bit of time and typing on every search.
To get help, always post your system configuration. Open a terminal (Ctrl + Alt + T), type the following command and copy its output: inxi -Fxxxrz. To preserve formatting, please make sure to post it inside [ code] [/ code] blocks.
Palladini
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Palladini »

My favourite Is BING Google is an Advertising Company first and foremost and they track every keystroke if you use anything google When I am using the TOR Browser the default is duck duck go, and I use it
[b]I love Linux Mint 21.1 Vanessa Cinnamon[/b]
Using Linux Mint since 2007, not programming smart, last program language I learned was called Basic on a Commodore 64
carum carvi

Post by carum carvi »

ParaDice wrote: Tue Oct 29, 2019 12:43 pm I try to avoid anything Google-related, which includes directing traffic their way via startpage. Also, Duckduck's bangs feel extremely intuitive and can save you a bit of time and typing on every search.
I have read that Startpage does not direct data to Google. Startpage is, as far as I know, a privacy minded version (funded by the EU?) of Google. But somehow I keep coming back to using DuckDuckGo as well, because I especially like the search results better, compared to Google/Startpage, for when I am searching for movies or tv series online.
ParaDice
Level 4
Level 4

Post by ParaDice »

ParaDice wrote: Tue Oct 29, 2019 12:43 pmI try to avoid anything Google-related, which includes directing traffic their way via startpage.
carum carvi wrote: Sat May 16, 2020 3:31 amI have read that Startpage does not direct data to Google.
You are correct to say that Google does not get any personal data from a Startpage search (other than, of course, the search query itself, which is useless as long as you cannot link it to a user).

But that is not what I wrote. ;) (See the hightlights in the quotes above) I really meant traffic (= search queries = clicks = business = money), not personal data. I don't agree with Google's business model, so I try not to direct any traffic their way, be it personally identifiable or anonymised.
To get help, always post your system configuration. Open a terminal (Ctrl + Alt + T), type the following command and copy its output: inxi -Fxxxrz. To preserve formatting, please make sure to post it inside [ code] [/ code] blocks.
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Lady Fitzgerald »

I like Startpage because of its page layout and it has an advanced search option that DuckDuckGo doesn't have (I have trouble remembering search syntax). I will use DuckDuckGo if Startpage doesn't give me the results I want with mixed results. Both have far more privacy than Google, Yahoo, etc.
Jeannie

To ensure the safety of your data, you have to be proactive, not reactive, so, back it up!
Night Wing
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Night Wing »

I use the Ekoru search engine. Since I came from the maritime industry, Ekoru raises funds for the Big Blue Ocean Cleanup. And Ekoru doesn't store your data. If you want to check it out, the link to it is below.

https://ekoru.org/
Linux Mint 21.3 (Virginia) Xfce
MX Linux 23.2 (Libretto) Xfce
Linux Debian 12.5 (Bookworm) Xfce
carum carvi

Post by carum carvi »

ParaDice wrote: Sat May 16, 2020 4:41 am I really meant traffic (= search queries = clicks = business = money), not personal data. I don't agree with Google's business model, so I try not to direct any traffic their way, be it personally identifiable or anonymised.
Okay, thanks for clarifying that ParaDice, I indeed misunderstood your point of view. I support your stand on this. The problem with Google however is that it is everywhere. I would like to avoid it, but it is almost impossible to avoid Google online. For example "google analytics" (not a search engine) is on many many webpages, even on those of which I would have never guessed that they would send information to Google, like my local library for instance. Google analytics is used to track website activity such as session duration, pages per session, geographical location and a lot more. I often see short flashes of text in the lower left corner of my screen when a new webpage is loading. And often I something Google related being mentioned.

Just read that Google's search engine marketshare is 72% or even more. The next "biggest" is Bing, with 12%. The next in line are search engines with 1% marketshare or even lower, like DuckDuckGo, which uses Microsoft Bing by the way as one of it's main sources, but they dont use anything from Google.
Last edited by carum carvi on Sat May 16, 2020 3:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
carum carvi

Post by carum carvi »

Night Wing wrote: Sat May 16, 2020 6:45 am I use the Ekoru search engine. Since I came from the maritime industry, Ekoru raises funds for the Big Blue Ocean Cleanup. And Ekoru doesn't store your data. If you want to check it out, the link to it is below.

https://ekoru.org/
Thanks for mentioning that link Night Wing. I liked the layout of the Ekoru search engine web page: without any clutter. And it did quite well in finding results for my particular country. I am quite pleased with it and I will try using it for a while. It is powered by Microsoft's Bing.

Your mentioning of Ekoru made me curious if there are even more new search engines out there I didnt know of yet. And yes there are! Below is a link to more search engines I just found out about: https://www.searchenginejournal.com/alt ... es/271409/
jp14
Level 3
Level 3

Post by jp14 »

i used to use duckduckgo but found that the search results aren't very accurate compared to google.
but i also don't want to use google.
so now after reading through this thread I gave startpage a try , so far so good :)
think i'll use that from now on and see how it goes.
LM 19.3 Xfce

Cause I like things neat and simple
DAMIEN1307

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

Vivaldi with Startpage search engine as their new default is looking very, very, nice these days as discussed in the following article. They are really going all out to show their "security chops"...DAMIEN

https://<blocked blogspam>/vivaldi-browser-g ... -startpage
t42
Level 11
Level 11

Post by t42 »

DAMIEN1307 wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 10:01 am Vivaldi with Startpage search engine as their new default is looking very, very, nice these days as discussed in the following article. They are really going all out to show their "security chops"...DAMIEN
As there are some people here, who use Startpage because they consider it a better alternative, these people may be interested in the fact that Startpage has been sold to the advert-technology company System1 in October 2019 what caused privacy concerns https://blog.privacytools.io/delisting-startpage/ .
-=t42=-
DAMIEN1307

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

I remember the article, but wish to point out the update which they put upfront first, before the first article...DAMIEN
May 3rd, 2020 Update: Startpage has answered all of our questions for them and has clarified their policies. We have decided to relist them on PrivacyTools, and you can read our latest announcement for more details.
Also read their latest announcement mentioned in their update where they have indeed re-listed Startpage as a recommendation once again.

https://blog.privacytools.io/relisting-startpage/
Last edited by DAMIEN1307 on Sun May 24, 2020 3:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
t42
Level 11
Level 11

Post by t42 »

DAMIEN1307 wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 2:58 pm I remember the article, but wish to point out the update which they put upfront first, before the first article...DAMIEN
Thanks for the update, :)
-=t42=-
carum carvi

Post by carum carvi »

ItachiUchiha wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 8:26 am ...i checked etools out and it said my ip was from an AS. at least with swisscows i can search with a vpn. also i think german laws are a bit better than swiss, but this (edited:SwissCows.com) is fine for now.
swisscows.com does look nice and uncluttered and etools.ch is very cluttered looking. etools.ch does have good privacy though and can be used easily with a vpn service, I shoudnt know why it couldnt, they even advise to use a vpn in their guide. I am not bothered by a search engine registering an AS, as long as it doesnt sell my information in any way I am fine. But thanks for mentioning that fact anyway, because even among the more privacy minded search engines, there are differences in privacy...

The thing about swisscows.com is that they block certain adult content and they dont state which content they block, nor can it be turned of. DuckDuckGo offers an ON/OFF switch. And swisscows.com does sometimes show paid advertisements on top in the search results, which cant be blocked by an adblocker. Etools.ch doesnt do that. And when I see ads in the search results I fear my datasearch is gonna be sold by the company to which it is linked on the search page. But overall I really like swisscows.com and it has gotten very positive reviews on different sites. I am going to use it for a while. Thanks for posting that link.

ItachiUchiha since your last post with links to all (for me new) information I now have discovered a lot more privacy minded search engines. I found another good review site as well, with some helpful additional information as how one can evaluate a search engine best.

https://restoreprivacy.com/private-search-engine/
Bobb24
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Bobb24 »

detimo

Post by detimo »

carum carvi wrote: Sat May 16, 2020 3:31 amI have read that Startpage does not direct data to Google.
Startpage is a Dutch company, but I read they were recently sold. They're not a Google property or affiliated
carum carvi

Post by carum carvi »

detimo wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 4:07 pm
Startpage is a Dutch company, but I read they were recently sold. They're not a Google property or affiliated
Hmmm, interesting news detimo. I did a search and came up with more detailed news about this take over: https://restoreprivacy.com/startpage-sy ... one-group/

Found another page, that offered current search engine alternatives of which some are quite interesting, being completely open source and non-profit. The combination of NOT wanting to make a profit and being open source, noticeably increases my trust in a search engine: https://restoreprivacy.com/private-search-engine/
detimo

Post by detimo »

ItachiUchiha wrote: Sun May 17, 2020 6:07 pm Swisscows, they're based in Switzerland and they collect nothing about their users.

i recommend checking this article out, this person foes a good job of explaining a good chunk of the engines out there
https://digdeeper.neocities.org/ghost/search.html

and this one too
https://restoreprivacy.com/private-search-engine/
Wow, there are really many search engines. But in practice, Google has like 90% of the search market. Unfortunately they take 'negative seo' into account, so anyone can ruin the search rankings by creating a lot of spam links to a competitor, this means search results are no longer reliable.

These days i'm using ddg, searx and stackoverflow to search
Philomath_tux
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Philomath_tux »

Google because:
  • In my experience it gives the best (Most accurate) results for my search topic.
  • I don't have data on this, but I would bet that they have the most indexed information of the public internet for advanced "google dorks" searching.
  • I also use google news so my recommended articles are very well tuned at this point based on my search history.
Now for more privacy, I would recommend duckduckgo in my experience.
absque fenestris
Level 12
Level 12

Post by absque fenestris »

Philomath_tux wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 10:54 pm Google because:
  • In my experience it gives the best (Most accurate) results for my search topic.
  • I don't have data on this, but I would bet that they have the most indexed information of the public internet for advanced "google dorks" searching.
  • I also use google news so my recommended articles are very well tuned at this point based on my search history.
Now for more privacy, I would recommend duckduckgo in my experience.
The Google marketing team is sure to appreciate your contribution. Unfortunately this is the impasse - it works too well... :mrgreen:

Return to “Open Chat”