Anydesk confusion when overwriting files

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
GS3
Level 8
Level 8

Anydesk confusion when overwriting files

Post by GS3 »

I used to complain about cryptic and confusing messages in Windows but this one really is something.

In Windows if I want to move a file a.txt to a folder which already has a file with the same name I get a message saying
This folder already contains a file named a.txt.
Would you like to replace the existing file, x bytes, modified on <date>
with this one y bytes, modified on <date>
<yes> or <no>
Cannot be any simpler or clearer.

With Nemo Anydesk OTOH I get a confusing and cryptic message which shows two choices but says both will "replace the file in the destination folder with the file you are copying". Color me confucius. Am I misinterpreting the messages?

I used to use Teamviewer but changed to Anydesk when Teamviewer started being a nuisance about flagging accounts as being used commercially. I am quite satisfied with Anydesk although I do get an error when I start it in Win XP but then it seems to work OK.
Attachments
Screen capture
Screen capture
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Please do not use animated GIFs in avatars because many of us find them distracting and obnoxious. Thank you.
Mpc46

Re: Nemo confusion when overwriting files

Post by Mpc46 »

I dont really get your question, but you can always, rename the files on the spot or skip the moving or copying of the files

like this:
https://imgur.com/a/B58ehL1

if you dont like that layout, maybe you want to try thunar, for a more like windows experience XD
https://imgur.com/a/zCORhJK

If not you can always try dolphin :'v but it doesnt integrate well with linux mint, cuz mis based on QT, and linux mint themes are based on GTK+
powerwagon75
Level 4
Level 4

Post by powerwagon75 »

Is this on your 19.3 with Cinnamon? I have never seen that pop-up dialogue look like that.

I just checked 18, 18.3, and 19.2, and they all look pretty much like this:
cp_test.png
Is the picture you posted all there is in the pop-up? You don't see the three buttons at the bottom--cancel/skip/replace? (these show in all Mint Cinnamon versions I have.)

I guessing its a missed typo from a copy/paste error in the creation of the programming that generates that pop-up.

If you are saying you don't have the three lower buttons, and you are supposed to click on one of those two rectangle box choices as an active choice button, try this. Make a small test text file in one folder, then go to another folder and create another text file with the same name, but different contents. Then, copy the second one, and go paste it where the first one resides. You can then check the contents, to see which "button" is overwriting the destination file.
Custom Antec Outside tower w/Mint 20.2
HP lap w/Mint 20.3
Optiplex 960 "Frankenbox" w/Fedora 39/Mint 19.2/Mint 20.2
Advantech TPC-1551T w/LinuxLite
Acer C720 Chromebook w/GalliumOS
Mac PPC G4 w/Lubuntu
GS3
Level 8
Level 8

Post by GS3 »

powerwagon75 wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 9:03 pmIs this on your 19.3 with Cinnamon? I have never seen that pop-up dialogue look like that.
I am glad I captured the screen because I tried to reproduce it and the pop-ups were like yours. After much time and thinking I was going crazy I saw it again and it turns out it is not Nemo but Anydesk who is doing it.

So, it is Anydesk doing it, not Nemo, and I change the thread title accordingly.

Yes, it seems the got confused when generating thos messages which are totally confusing and I never know what they mean so I end up renaming one of the files to avoid the confusion.
Please do not use animated GIFs in avatars because many of us find them distracting and obnoxious. Thank you.
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Re: Anydesk confusion when overwriting files

Post by Pierre »

sometimes it's just plain easier to re-name the file, before copying the next file.

or, even using File Save-As in the Editor, when writing the New File.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
GS3
Level 8
Level 8

Post by GS3 »

Pierre wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 8:28 amsometimes it's just plain easier to re-name the file, before copying the next file.
Well, yes, that is what I do because I have no idea what those messages mean but it makes you wonder how anyone could mess up something so simple.

I mean, it cannot get much simpler than Destination folder already has a file with the same name. Would you like to overwrite it? <Yes> <No>
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

My problem, usually is - - which is the Newer File :?

- - look at the Time & Date Stamp .. which is the Newer :?:
that will tell me, which file, to keep & which to overwrite.
:)
sometimes ..
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
GS3
Level 8
Level 8

Post by GS3 »

Pierre wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 9:26 am sometimes ..
"Sometimes" is correct. I am in the habit if automatically and without thought overwriting an older file with a newer file but sometimes that can backfire like if I've been working on a file and messed it up and I want to keep the old one over the new one. When dealing with individual files I generally try to send to trash the old ones I do not want to keep. That way they are there if I need to recover them. But sometimes when copying many files and folders at once I do not stop to think before mechanically agreeing to whatever it is the system proposes as default.

Return to “Beginner Questions”