Is Linux Mint ugly?

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Re: Is Linux Mint ugly?

Post by Moem »

GS3 wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 7:43 am Is Linux Mint ugly?

What? Is this the setup for a yo mamma joke?
Maybe 'yo mamma is so good with computers.... that she can make Linux Mint look good'?

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
Portreve
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Portreve »

Moem wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 6:23 pm
GS3 wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 7:43 am Is Linux Mint ugly?

What? Is this the setup for a yo mamma joke?
Maybe 'yo mamma is so good with computers.... that she can make Linux Mint look good'?
Yo Linux Mint is so phat... when it sits around the house, it sits AROUND the house.
Flying this flag in support of freedom 🇺🇦

Recommended keyboard layout: English (intl., with AltGR dead keys)

Podcasts: Linux Unplugged, Destination Linux

Also check out Thor Hartmannsson's Linux Tips YouTube Channel
lsemmens
Level 11
Level 11

Post by lsemmens »

Of course Linux mint is ugly! Beauty is only in the eye of the beerholder. Meatime I'm quite happy with my default Cinnamon desktop. :wink:
Fully mint Household
Out of my mind - please leave a message
RollyShed
Level 8
Level 8

Post by RollyShed »

lsemmens wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 5:21 am Of course Linux mint is ugly! Beauty is only in the eye of the beerholder. Meatime I'm quite happy with my default Cinnamon desktop. :wink:
Beerholder, so is it a light ale or a dark Guinness? And as to the meat (Meatime), a roast lamb or French fries? As said, what is ugly, what is beautiful?
lsemmens
Level 11
Level 11

Post by lsemmens »

RollyShed wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 5:53 pm
lsemmens wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 5:21 am Of course Linux mint is ugly! Beauty is only in the eye of the beerholder. Meatime I'm quite happy with my default Cinnamon desktop. :wink:
Beerholder, so is it a light ale or a dark Guinness? And as to the meat (Meatime), a roast lamb or French fries? As said, what is ugly, what is beautiful?
What ever you favourite beer is. Meatime.........whooops! :D
Fully mint Household
RollyShed
Level 8
Level 8

Post by RollyShed »

lsemmens wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 7:42 pm What ever you favourite beer is. Meatime.........whooops! :D
Don't apologise, all part of the joke as the whole thread is a joke.... isn't it? Waffling on.. Oh! On to waffles now? That's buttered it. But some are jam..med (raspberry jam?) in their lock-downs wondering what to have for the next meal. OK, open the web browser and cover the entire screen with what ever you fancy eating and drinking. So they now find food ugly? Oh dear....
vladtepes

Post by vladtepes »

I'm not sure how anyone coming from Win 10 could say Mint is ugly. Win 10 is horrible looking.
MtnDewManiac wrote: Sun May 17, 2020 5:13 am a wood and leather library/den smelling of an early 20th century tobacconist's shop.
Oh that does sound good.
lsemmens
Level 11
Level 11

Post by lsemmens »

Fully mint Household
ZakGordon
Level 5
Level 5

Post by ZakGordon »

[yawns]If you don't like the defaults change them, Linux (not just mint) is good like that, so go do some research and make the desktop of your dreams.[/yawn] :)
Laptop overheating? Check link here:itsfoss guide . Also a move from Cinnamon to XFCE can give a -5 to -10 degrees C change on overheating hardware.

Build a modern dual-boot Ryzen Win7/Linux Mint PC:Tutorial
Portreve
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Portreve »

RollyShed wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 5:53 pm
Well, for me, two of my favorites are Warsteiner and Boddington's. If I drink enough of them, I almost start to like Gnome 3. Almost. :lol:
Flying this flag in support of freedom 🇺🇦

Recommended keyboard layout: English (intl., with AltGR dead keys)

Podcasts: Linux Unplugged, Destination Linux

Also check out Thor Hartmannsson's Linux Tips YouTube Channel
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

Why is it so darn hard for the massively brilliant Linux community to sit back and accept FUGLY FONTS? And ugly icons. Come on I know there are people out there who are so brilliant at doing this sort of thing, if we all kick in $5 could we not get some pretty fonts and icons?
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Lady Fitzgerald »

trytip wrote: Sun May 10, 2020 1:54 am
all41 wrote: Sat May 09, 2020 9:37 am +1 Dark Owl's point

It's much like shopping at your favourite grocery store where
you have become accustomed to the aisle and shelf location and plan your
route with that in mind.

How upsetting it can be to find the store has rearranged everything
and you now have to search to find what you need. It's upsetting to your routine
to have to learn the new layout.
+1 all41's point
Grocery stores in my neck of the woods...er...desert do that all the time. Stores change sets (where they put things) frequently to get people to notice new products and, hopefully spend more money.

Me? I'm handicapped and my old carcass does not appreciate me having to wander all over the store trying to find things. I find it infuriating and, often, painful, not to mention a waste of my time (mutter mutter, mumble mumble).
Jeannie

To ensure the safety of your data, you have to be proactive, not reactive, so, back it up!
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

vladtepes wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 1:01 am I'm not sure how anyone coming from Win 10 could say Mint is ugly. Win 10 is horrible looking...
Oh man, isn't that the truth!
Jeannie

To ensure the safety of your data, you have to be proactive, not reactive, so, back it up!
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

Mint is as ugly or beautiful as you make it. Don't like something, change it. It's your computer; make it yours.
Jeannie

MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

Linux in general reminds me of where Windows and Apple were in the old days, and by that I mean Windows 3.1/95 UI or Mac 6/7. Look at Libre Office, the icon set is clunky compared to Mac or even Windows. I still think there is some residual; "REAL MEN USE the COMMAND LINE, and these new fangled GUI's are for LUSERS and NEWBS!". I will be the first to admit I am a font snob, I want good clean anti-aliased fonts. I also admit that it is not fair to compare Linux to the MAC O/S since they spend gazillions of dollars making it look beautiful.

Yes, I agree, Windows 10 is not as nice looking as Windows 7, but the fonts are lovely. Mac O/S 10.4 to 10.7 to me, are the most beautiful GUI I have ever seen.
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

Lady Fitzgerald wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 12:13 am Mint is as ugly or beautiful as you make it. Don't like something, change it. It's your computer; make it yours.
And I spend entirely too much time doing just that. But perhaps, just perhaps that is part of the charm.....
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

MurphCID wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 6:57 am
Lady Fitzgerald wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 12:13 am Mint is as ugly or beautiful as you make it. Don't like something, change it. It's your computer; make it yours.
And I spend entirely too much time doing just that...
Why? I just changed the theme, background image, desktop icon size and spacing,and folder color shortly after I first installed Mint on this machine, then just left the darned thing alone.
MurphCID wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 6:57 am ...But perhaps, just perhaps that is part of the charm...
Perhaps...for you. I prefer a computer to just do what I need it to rather than tinker with it. Once I have a computer doing what I want and need it to do, I quit fooling around with it and just use it.

This isn't to say tinkering with a computer is a bad thing, though. Different people have different priorities.
Jeannie

ZakGordon
Level 5
Level 5

Post by ZakGordon »

Exactly. And beauty is in the eye of the beholder, so this flexibility caters to all tastes (with a little work for some).
Laptop overheating? Check link here:itsfoss guide . Also a move from Cinnamon to XFCE can give a -5 to -10 degrees C change on overheating hardware.

Build a modern dual-boot Ryzen Win7/Linux Mint PC:Tutorial
BG405
Level 9
Level 9

Post by BG405 »

ZakGordon wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 3:54 pm beauty is in the eye of the beholder
In my case, beer-holder. :roll: :mrgreen:

I do like the look of LM20 Cinnamon. Finally cleared some space to make way for a few more VMs for testing. Now I'm torn whether to install this or the Xfce edition on the Dell .. judging by its responsiveness in a VM, I think I'll get away with Cinnamon! (It had LM17.3 Cinnamon on it before & that worked well until the HDD finally went south).
Dell Inspiron 1525 - LM17.3 CE 64-------------------Lenovo T440 - Manjaro KDE with Mint VMs
Toshiba NB250 - Manjaro KDE------------------------Acer Aspire One D255E - LM21.3 Xfce
Acer Aspire E11 ES1-111M - LM18.2 KDE 64 ----Two ROMS don't make a WRITE
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

BG405 wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 3:25 pm
ZakGordon wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 3:54 pm beauty is in the eye of the beholder
In my case, beer-holder. :roll: :mrgreen:

I do like the look of LM20 Cinnamon. Finally cleared some space to make way for a few more VMs for testing. Now I'm torn whether to install this or the Xfce edition on the Dell .. judging by its responsiveness in a VM, I think I'll get away with Cinnamon! (It had LM17.3 Cinnamon on it before & that worked well until the HDD finally went south).
You know I always look forward to your posts.

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”