Level 6
Level 6

Re: Is Linux Mint ugly?

Post by MtnDewManiac »

BG405 wrote:
Sat May 16, 2020 3:45 pm
MtnDewManiac wrote:
Sat May 16, 2020 1:01 pm
setups having multiple desktop areas (I forget what that is called) that turn into the outer surfaces of a cube and which can be "spun" to reveal the one the user wishes to bring up
That'll be the "Desktop Cube" which is available (and I have enabled) in KDE Plasma 5. May also have been present in Plasma 4 too and possibly also available in, or for, Xfce. ;)

I take pleasure from having some of these fancy effects, like Wobbly Windows etc.. :mrgreen: As for Mint, I do quite like the default themes. Especially the dark ones. :)
There you go. Your setup is probably as different from mine as a modern chrome and glass living room with tailored scents misting from a fancy electric gizmo is from a wood and leather library/den smelling of an early 20th century tobacconist's shop. But both are fine - for those who enjoy them.
cliffcoggin wrote:
Sat May 16, 2020 2:53 pm
Very eloquently stated MDM.
Thank you. I did not intend to put so much thought into such a simple thing. But I will go one more, which might illustrate our points nicely (maybe).
cliffcoggin wrote:
Sat May 16, 2020 2:53 pm
I could not agree more. I would write more on the subject but I simply can not get enthusiastic enough about such a minor matter to put fingers to keyboard. After all, it's only a tool.
In my opinion - which is likely the only kind of answer a thread like this could generate - the most pleasing [i[default[/i] color scheme I have ever personally seen was on the first computer I ever owned. That was the Commodore VIC-20, and I still remember how, when I flipped the power switch, it immediately and proudly stated...

"...3,583 BYTES FREE" :lol:

I'll take whatever Mint offers and like it, lol.

Regards,
MDM
Mint 18 Xfce 4.12.

If guns kill people, then pencils misspell words, cars make people drive drunk, and spoons made Rosie O'Donnell fat.
MurphCID
Level 6
Level 6

Post by MurphCID »

My old rant back again: FONTS! FONTS! FONTS! Linux uses ugly fonts, and ugly icons. I love linux, but I wish we could make our UI/FONTS/Icons prettier.
BG405
Level 8
Level 8

Post by BG405 »

MtnDewManiac wrote:
Sun May 17, 2020 5:13 am
the most pleasing [i[default[/i] color scheme I have ever personally seen was on the first computer I ever owned. That was the Commodore VIC-20, and I still remember how, when I flipped the power switch, it immediately and proudly stated...

"...3,583 BYTES FREE" :lol:
Oh yes! I do like those colours. I have one here which I acquired recently & had forgotten how good it looked. My old VIC=20 was sold in the early 1980s to help pay for the Commodore 64. (Actually, the machine in fromt of me is the German version .. the VC=20, due to the way "VIC" is pronounced with a German accent .. not that they bothered to change the bottom label .. :P)
Dell Inspiron 1525 - LM17.3 CE 64-------------------Lenovo T440 8GB - Manjaro KDE with Mint VMs
Toshiba NB250 - Manjaro KDE------------------------K7S5A AMD 1.2GHz - LM17.3 Xfce 32 & WinXP-Pro
Acer Aspire E11 ES1-111M - LM18.2 KDE 64 ----Two ROMS don't make a WRITE ...
dm999
Level 3
Level 3

Post by dm999 »

Ugly is a harsh word, however... I do struggle with the fonts and icons in Cinnamon, I find them a bit fuzzy even after making various tweaks. Also I'm not a fan of the dark background on the left hand panel of Nemo, maybe this can be changed but it's a minor point in the scheme of not knackering my eyes.

I seem to get better results with Xfce so I'm currently triple booting with Mint Xfce and MX Linux and will fiddle around with them both and see which is easier on my eye's before moving from Cinnamon.
LM 20 Xfce / Lenovo ideapad 500 15ISK / i5-6200U CPU @ 2.30GHz × 2 / 12GB RAM /
jp14
Level 3
Level 3

Post by jp14 »

i'm confused ...many is ranting about fonts , whats wrong with 'em?
same with icons , whats wrong with them?
maybe i'm missing something.
LM 19.3 Xfce

Cause I like things neat and simple
dm999
Level 3
Level 3

Post by dm999 »

jp14 wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 1:59 pm
i'm confused ...many is ranting about fonts , whats wrong with 'em?
same with icons , whats wrong with them?
maybe i'm missing something.
Generally in Cinnamon I'm fiddling about with resolution, font sizes and scaling to get something that's usable for me. After that I'm into Firefox messing around with zoom and layout.css.devPixelsPerPx trying to get something usable. I've been doing this on and off for the six months that I've been using Cinnamon without a wholly satisfactory solution.

After trying out many distro's as live USB I've settled on installing and investigating Xfce further as it seems to be easier to configure to produce a coherent overall visual solution that suits me - being able to adjust the DPI is a boon. Also I prefer the feel and experience of Xfce to Cinnnamon anyway.

Xfce's Thunar with Moka icons is a hell of a lot clearer and easier on my eyes than Nemo with it's dark sidebar and I find the Mint icon themes a bit flat, dull and fuzzy. I've also changed my system fonts to Roboto as they are sharper to my eyes than Ubuntu.

I've got average eyesight for my age (55), no real problems as such, got spex for reading and close work. That's my experience anyway.
Dark Owl
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Dark Owl »

dm999 wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 3:53 pm
being able to adjust the DPI is a boon.
That is a factor I can get behind. Preparing to invest in a 4K monitor + suitable graphics card, my research indicated desktop scaling could be a problem. The issue is not the number of pixels on the screen overall, but the relative DPI at working distance.

Yes, it's good to have more real-estate (in pixel count) to display more of a document at one time or have several open and visible at one time, but that advantage is lost if the features are too small to see and everything has to be scaled up. This applies to office work - gamers won't be so bothered, they just get UHD video.

The only setting in Cinnamon which works for me is "hi-DPI". Otherwise everything on-screen is too small. One program I tried to run did not respect the hi-DPI setting, and continued to display its GUI with the default pixel count. This might seem to defeat the purpose of a 4K monitor (it's only 24", to fit on my desk, therefore is 185dpi) - but what I get is crisp text at readable size instead of fuzzy text. If you have room, I would recommend 28" or 32" as a minimum size to make best use of 4K.

However, if XFCE offers more flexibility in scaling icons, system text, and application GUIs, that sounds like a better way for me to go.
Currently: Linux Mint 20 Cinnamon 64-bit 4.6.6, AMD Ryzen5 + Geforce GT 710
Previously: LM20β, LM18.2
dm999
Level 3
Level 3

Post by dm999 »

Dark Owl wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 4:10 am
However, if XFCE offers more flexibility in scaling icons, system text, and application GUIs, that sounds like a better way for me to go.
It's definitely worth a look, I recommend playing around with a live USB to see if it suits your needs.
GS3
Level 7
Level 7

Post by GS3 »

Is Linux Mint ugly?

What? Is this the setup for a yo mamma joke?
HP Compaq Elite 8300 CMT - Linux Mint 18.2 Sonya - Kernel 4.4.0-171-generic x86_64 - Cinnamon 3.4.4 - Nemo
HP Compaq Elite 8300 CMT - Linux Mint 19.3 Tricia - Kernel 5.3.0-51-generic x86_64 - Cinnamon 4.4.8 - Nvidia GF108
Moem
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Moem »

GS3 wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 7:43 am
Is Linux Mint ugly?

Maybe 'yo mamma is so good with computers.... that she can make Linux Mint look good'?

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
Portreve
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Portreve »

Moem wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 6:23 pm
GS3 wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 7:43 am
Is Linux Mint ugly?

Maybe 'yo mamma is so good with computers.... that she can make Linux Mint look good'?
Yo Linux Mint is so phat... when it sits around the house, it sits AROUND the house.
Please remember to mark your fixed problem [SOLVED].

Running Linux Mint Cinnamon 20.0.

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.
— Voltaire
lsemmens
Level 11
Level 11

Post by lsemmens »

Of course Linux mint is ugly! Beauty is only in the eye of the beerholder. Meatime I'm quite happy with my default Cinnamon desktop. :wink:
Fully mint Household
Out of my mind - please leave a message
RollyShed
Level 4
Level 4

Post by RollyShed »

lsemmens wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 5:21 am
Of course Linux mint is ugly! Beauty is only in the eye of the beerholder. Meatime I'm quite happy with my default Cinnamon desktop. :wink:
Beerholder, so is it a light ale or a dark Guinness? And as to the meat (Meatime), a roast lamb or French fries? As said, what is ugly, what is beautiful?
lsemmens
Level 11
Level 11

Post by lsemmens »

RollyShed wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 5:53 pm
lsemmens wrote:
Beerholder, so is it a light ale or a dark Guinness? And as to the meat (Meatime), a roast lamb or French fries? As said, what is ugly, what is beautiful?
What ever you favourite beer is. Meatime.........whooops! :D
Fully mint Household
RollyShed
Level 4
Level 4

Post by RollyShed »

lsemmens wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 7:42 pm
What ever you favourite beer is. Meatime.........whooops! :D
Don't apologise, all part of the joke as the whole thread is a joke.... isn't it? Waffling on.. Oh! On to waffles now? That's buttered it. But some are jam..med (raspberry jam?) in their lock-downs wondering what to have for the next meal. OK, open the web browser and cover the entire screen with what ever you fancy eating and drinking. So they now find food ugly? Oh dear....
vladtepes
Level 3
Level 3

Post by vladtepes »

I'm not sure how anyone coming from Win 10 could say Mint is ugly. Win 10 is horrible looking.
MtnDewManiac wrote:
Sun May 17, 2020 5:13 am
a wood and leather library/den smelling of an early 20th century tobacconist's shop.
Oh that does sound good.
Keep Calm
and
Impale Your Enemies
lsemmens
Level 11
Level 11

Post by lsemmens »

Fully mint Household
ZakGordon
Level 5
Level 5

Post by ZakGordon »

[yawns]If you don't like the defaults change them, Linux (not just mint) is good like that, so go do some research and make the desktop of your dreams.[/yawn] :)
Laptop overheating? Check link here:itsfoss guide . A move from Cinnamon to XFCE can give a -5 to -10 degrees C change on overheating hardware.

Build a modern dual-boot Ryzen Win7/Linux Mint PC:Tutorial
Portreve
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Portreve »

RollyShed wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 5:53 pm
lsemmens wrote:
Well, for me, two of my favorites are Warsteiner and Boddington's. If I drink enough of them, I almost start to like Gnome 3. Almost. :lol:
Please remember to mark your fixed problem [SOLVED].

Running Linux Mint Cinnamon 20.0.

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.
— Voltaire

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”