What is your strategy for avoiding COVID-19 ?

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Re: What is your strategy for avoiding COVID-19 ?

Post by Pjotr »

Before the end of 2020, we might be able to stop worrying about this virus entirely:
https://www.archyde.com/american-pharma ... 11-inland/

47D11. A term to remember. :mrgreen:
https://www.google.com/search?q=47D11&l ... 52&bih=919
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

In the meantime, I want to share some advice that I found online...

When people say that it suffices to wear a face mask and gloves when shopping for groceries, they are mistaken. You are also expected to wear clothes.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
trytip
Level 14
Level 14

Post by trytip »

Moem wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 6:48 am In the meantime, I want to share some advice that I found online...

When people say that it suffices to wear a face mask and gloves when shopping for groceries, they are mistaken. You are also expected to wear clothes.
you're no fun :o
TBH here in California and some USA cities corona virus is taking a backseat and personally i don't care about masks and gloves when i shop. but wearing a mask is now concealing anyone committing crimes like looting stores and destroying private property
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

trytip wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 9:19 am TBH here in California and some USA cities corona virus is taking a backseat
I just hope it won't use that position the better to bite you all in the rear.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
trytip
Level 14
Level 14

Post by trytip »

Moem wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 9:39 am
trytip wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 9:19 am TBH here in California and some USA cities corona virus is taking a backseat
either way i will not wear a facemask. unless i am a worker that has to smell other peoples breath like opticians and dentists
corona-virus is a scare tactic now. we have already received 2 billion in stimulus money and now they want 10 more billion? who's paying for this? i do not need a strategy for avoiding covid-19 any longer
ZakGordon
Level 5
Level 5

Post by ZakGordon »

Just in case anyone was forgetting what a coronavirus is and how it works:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coronavirus

Meanwhile the numbers are still worth keeping an eye on, as tonight figures show:

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/
Laptop overheating? Check link here:itsfoss guide . Also a move from Cinnamon to XFCE can give a -5 to -10 degrees C change on overheating hardware.

Build a modern dual-boot Ryzen Win7/Linux Mint PC:Tutorial
GS3
Level 8
Level 8

Post by GS3 »

I always wear a mask when out in public and I find it interesting what I have noticed. On the one hand it helps remind people to stay away. Most people just forget or don't care and I do not want to be rude and tell them to stay away. The mask is quite helpful because if I take a step back with the mask it is very obvious I want to maintain distance.

OTOH, I have noticed it radically changes human communication. At the supermarket I smile at the worker, the cashiers, etc and now I notice the response is completely different because they cannot see my smiling. I find this to be a very serious drawback and might even consider faceshields instead of masks.

As to what am I doing to avoid getting the virus the answer is that I'm installing Linux. That eats up my time like you wouldn't believe it. ;)
Please do not use animated GIFs in avatars because many of us find them distracting and obnoxious. Thank you.
ajgringo619

Post by ajgringo619 »

trytip wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 9:58 am
either way i will not wear a facemask. unless i am a worker that has to smell other peoples breath like opticians and dentists
corona-virus is a scare tactic now. we have already received 2 billion in stimulus money and now the want 10 more billion? who's paying for this? i do not need a strategy for avoiding covid-19 any longer
I saw my surgeon today for a post-op visit; he did NOT wear a mask and I didn't care at all that he didn't. He also showed me info (sorry, I don't have a link so take it for what it's worth) that showed US researchers found that sunlight was the best way to kill COVID, after washing/disinfecting. Betcha the "protests" would not have been as violent if we are weren't imprisoned in our own homes, slowly wearing on our sanity. Check out the increased numbers of anti-depression meds - I'd rather have COVID than be hooked on that crap.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

Here in the Netherlands, we've never been told to stay inside our homes all the time. We've been advised to stay well away from others, and exercise at home or close to home. I've never seen so many people outside walking, cycling, rollerskating, what have you. And almost all of them keeping their distance.

ugly
Level 5
Level 5

Post by ugly »

Moem wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 4:07 pm Here in the Netherlands, we've never been told to stay inside our homes all the time. We've been advised to stay well away from others, and exercise at home or close to home. I've never seen so many people outside walking, cycling, rollerskating, what have you. And almost all of them keeping their distance.
Well, that is the reality in most places.

People keep throwing around that we're "locked down" and in "quarantine". But that's not what's happening. You can go outside. It's not like there are police out there ready to throw you in jail if you step outside your home. There are restrictions for sure, but it's not imprisonment.
Bobb24
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Bobb24 »

trytip wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 9:58 am
corona-virus is a scare tactic now. we have already received 2 billion in stimulus money and now the want 10 more billion? who's paying for this? i do not need a strategy for avoiding covid-19 any longer
This fine philanthropic organization was pretty quick to come up with a very expensive, long term plan to manage the plandemic, and they are offering to put themselves right into the middle of it. It ain't going away any time soon unless enough people catch on and say no thanks. It was released on April 21 and the main highlights of it are that they want to ramp up testing to 30 million tests per day in the US at $100 a shot to go on in perpetuity , as well as hiring an army of 300 000 contact tracers which will cost another 12 billion.
https://www.rockefellerfoundation.org/n ... tion-plan/
Grateful4Linux
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Grateful4Linux »

Bobb24 wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 11:56 pm
trytip wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 9:58 am either way i will not wear a facemask. unless i am a worker that has to smell other peoples breath like opticians and dentists
This fine philanthropic organization was pretty quick to come up with a very expensive, long term plan to manage the plandemic, and they are offering to put themselves right into the middle of it. It ain't going away any time soon unless enough people catch on and say no thanks. It was released on April 21 and the main highlights of it are that they want to ramp up testing to 30 million tests per day in the US at $100 a shot to go on in perpetuity , as well as hiring an army of 300 000 contact tracers which will cost another 12 billion.
Unbelievable! This book should be required reading for everyone: https://www.amazon.com/Rockefeller-File ... 215&sr=8-1 You can find most of it online if you look.
~Maria
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Post by AZgl1800 »

ajgringo619 wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 3:56 pm
I saw my surgeon today for a post-op visit; he did NOT wear a mask and I didn't care at all that he didn't. He also showed me info (sorry, I don't have a link so take it for what it's worth) that showed US researchers found that sunlight was the best way to kill COVID, after washing/disinfecting. Betcha the "protests" would not have been as violent if we are weren't imprisoned in our own homes, slowly wearing on our sanity. Check out the increased numbers of anti-depression meds - I'd rather have COVID than be hooked on that crap.
I have read that same info, or nearly the same.
when I am outside at home, we have six acres....
I like to take my shirt off and bask in the sun for a while....
usually while working on the lawnmower ( jacking it up, using pressure washer to clean under the deck )

or just using the weed-eater, which is about a 30 minute job...
gives me a bit of exercise, and some natural Vitamin-D
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
Bobb24
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Bobb24 »

Grateful4Linux wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 6:48 pm
Bobb24 wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 11:56 pm
trytip wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 9:58 am either way i will not wear a facemask. unless i am a worker that has to smell other peoples breath like opticians and dentists
Unbelievable! This book should be required reading for everyone: https://www.amazon.com/Rockefeller-File ... 215&sr=8-1 You can find most of it online if you look.
Yea the information is out there if you dig a little. Don't know if you are aware of this report. It's from 2010 and the virus originated in wild geese. This describes where we are now and of the scenarios outlined we are in "lockstep" but looks like they are adding a bit of "hack attack" for good measure.
https://archive.org/details/pdfy-tNG7MjZUicS-wiJb
trytip
Level 14
Level 14

Post by trytip »

AZgl1500 wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 9:22 pm I have read that same info, or nearly the same.
usually while working on the lawnmower ( jacking it up, using pressure washer to clean under the deck )

too bad women can't do the same when watering their front lawns. i mean they could go shirtless and take in that vitamin-D but then she'd be arrested for indecent exposure. if i was taking a walk and came up on a house where an elderly lady was watering her flowers topless and shirtless i would respect that, try not to look and move on. in the summer heat of 104+F (40+C) i see lots of men walking around town shirtless, we don't yet have the same equality for women there.
Bobb24
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Bobb24 »

trytip wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 9:30 am
AZgl1500 wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 9:22 pm I have read that same info, or nearly the same.

too bad women can't do the same when watering their front lawns. i mean they could go shirtless and take in that vitamin-D but then she'd be arrested for indecent exposure. if i was taking a walk and came up on a house where an elderly lady was watering her flowers topless and shirtless i would respect that, try not to look and move on. in the summer heat of 104+F (40+C) i see lots of men walking around town shirtless, we don't yet have the same equality for women there.
It's been legal for women here in Ontario Canada for about 20 years now after some young woman took off her shirt and took a stand and the courts ruled in her favour and the precedent was set. Sadly though women don't seem to be willing to exercise their equal rights in this regard. Occasionally on a beach maybe, but you could sit at an outdoor patio anywhere in the city and won't ever see anyone walking past and exercising this right. Would be quite titillating if they did :D
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Pjotr »

This is highly interesting:
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/06/02/opin ... aders.html

TL;DNR:
The epidemic’s growth can be controlled with tactics far less disruptive, socially and economically, than the extended lockdowns or other extreme forms of social distancing that much of the world has experienced over the past few months.

Forget about maintaining — or, if infections resurge, resuming — sweeping measures designed to stem the virus’s spread in all forms. Just focus on stopping the superspreading.

In the case of SARS-CoV-2, evidence is growing that superspreading is a hugely significant factor of total transmission.

We found that superspreading has overwhelmingly contributed to the transmission of SARS-CoV-2 in the city overall.

In our study, just 20 percent of cases, all of them involving social gatherings, accounted for an astonishing 80 percent of transmissions.

No less astonishing was this corollary finding: Seventy percent of the people infected did not pass on the virus to anyone.

A study published in The Lancet in late April, based on data from Shenzhen, southern China, about suspected cases among travelers from around Wuhan, concluded that 80 percent of transmissions were caused by 8-9 percent of cases.

This much, though, is known: The infectiousness of SARS-CoV-2 appears to peak within the first few days of the onset of Covid-19 symptoms and then decrease with time. That said, one can be contagious before displaying symptoms or without ever displaying any symptoms. (Hence the importance of face masks.)

But the record in both places, and elsewhere, points to the same conclusion: It’s not just that superspreading events are happening with SARS-CoV-2; they appear to be driving much of the pandemic.

The epidemic’s growth can be controlled with tactics far less disruptive, socially and economically, than the extended lockdowns or other extreme forms of social distancing that much of the world has experienced over the past few months.

Forget about maintaining — or, if infections resurge, resuming — sweeping measures designed to stem the virus’s spread in all forms. Just focus on stopping the superspreading.
GS3
Level 8
Level 8

Post by GS3 »

Pjotr wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 4:34 am The epidemic’s growth can be controlled with tactics far less disruptive, socially and economically, than the extended lockdowns or other extreme forms of social distancing that much of the world has experienced over the past few months.

Easy to say, isn't it? That's like me saying I have the solution to ending world hunger: the solution to ending world hunger is to feed every person in the world enough food and a balanced diet. The not so minor question now is how do you do that.

Firstly we need to understand how spreading works and if superspreading is, in fact, a real thing. Even if it is true that some people spread more than others, I assume it is a continuum so there would have to be a cut-off point.

So, the question is: how we identify those superspreaders? Probably they are just people who have more virus load and therefore spread more. How do you identify them?

Reminds me of
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mary_Mallon

Mary Mallon (September 23, 1869 – November 11, 1938), also known as Typhoid Mary, was an Irish-born cook believed to have infected 53 people, three of whom died, with typhoid fever, and the first person in the United States identified as an asymptomatic carrier of the disease.[1] Because she persisted in working as a cook, by which she exposed others to the disease, she was twice forcibly quarantined by authorities, and died after a total of nearly three decades in isolation.
Please do not use animated GIFs in avatars because many of us find them distracting and obnoxious. Thank you.
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Pjotr »

From the New York Times article:
(...)Superspreading is a complex phenomenon, and it depends on several factors: an infected person’s degree of infectiousness, the length of other people’s exposure to them, the setting of that exposure.

We are not aware of any study having been published that identifies individual characteristics that might account for an infected person’s degree of infectiousness or could otherwise help predict who may be a superspreader.(....)

(....)a highly contagious person is more likely to spread the infection in a crowd (at a wedding, in a bar, during a sporting event) than in a small group (within their household), and when contact is extensive or repeated.

Transmission is more likely during gatherings indoors than outdoors. Simply ventilating a room can help.(....)
ZakGordon
Level 5
Level 5

Post by ZakGordon »

I've heard numerous things about the accuracy of testing for covid-19, stuff like this (random, first pages that popped up in a search):

https://www.nbcnews.com/health/health-n ... m-n1214981

https://www.kevinmd.com/blog/2020/03/th ... tests.html
The accuracy of the current COVID-19 tests is not precisely known. Reasonable estimates, based on test performance in China and the performance of the influenza tests, are that the tests will correctly identify around 60 percent of the patients with the disease and correctly identify 90 percent of the patients that are disease-free.
That seems to be in the general ball-park of the overall averages for numbers given about the topic. So without a 100% success rate option you will always 'miss' people carrying the disease and if they are what is being called a Super Spreader then you will still get what we have seen globally in terms of infection rates. You might get lucky and in small communities (say like the Shetland Islands in Scotland where a Super Spreader was identified for their heavy outbreak) be better able to contain the outbreak, but in big cities and international destinations where lots of people mix and mingle, you will not be able to 'stop' the spread of the virus with the current testing technology we have. Therefore isolation and stopping people from mixing (as Sweden is now starting to find out, and has admitted their error for) is still the number one way to stop the spread. This is a virus it NEEDS people to spread into. Stop that vector and you stop the pandemic. Simple (if only people would listen!).
Laptop overheating? Check link here:itsfoss guide . Also a move from Cinnamon to XFCE can give a -5 to -10 degrees C change on overheating hardware.

Build a modern dual-boot Ryzen Win7/Linux Mint PC:Tutorial

Return to “Open Chat”