Tracking a router after changing locations

Chat about just about anything else
ItachiUchiha
Level 1
Level 1

Tracking a router after changing locations

Post by ItachiUchiha »

hey,

i want to get a router for the place im staiyng at in place of my landlord's wifi, as thier password sucks and i dont trust their setup. but im concerned that there will be a record of where my router has been when i move. is this legitimate or not? thanks.
AZgl1500
Level 13
Level 13
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes sweeping down the plains

Re: Tracking a router after changing locations

Post by AZgl1500 »

ItachiUchiha wrote:
Tue Jun 02, 2020 9:03 pm
hey,

i want to get a router for the place im staiyng at in place of my landlord's wifi, as thier password sucks and i dont trust their setup. but im concerned that there will be a record of where my router has been when i move. is this legitimate or not? thanks.
not that I am aware of.
FWIW, just hit the Factory Reset button, and all will be "brand spanking new" again.

we just did that today, our ISP went down for the 4th time, and I switched to a different provider.... I have had enough with that one.
Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon
Portreve
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Portreve »

If you want a router running libre-licensed, GNU+Linux-based firmware, take a look at Open WRT's, DD-WRT's, or Tomato's project sites. You can pretty easily buy suitable hardware and then flash it to your firmware of choice. That way, you can know for certain your router won't do anything funky.
Please remember to mark your fixed problem [SOLVED].

Running Linux Mint Cinnamon 20.0.

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.
— Voltaire
ItachiUchiha
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ItachiUchiha »

Excellent, thanks for the help, guys!

Azgl1500, whom was your isp?
Kadaitcha Man
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Kadaitcha Man »

ItachiUchiha wrote:
Thu Jun 04, 2020 9:41 pm
Or build your own... viewtopic.php?f=42&t=312993
It's pronounced kad-eye-cha, not kada-itcha.
phd21
Level 19
Level 19

Post by phd21 »

Hi ItachiUchiha,

I just read your post and the good replies to it. Here are my thoughts on this as well.

You can simply delete previous connections from the router's menu, or reset it to factory new state.

+1 For getting your own WiFi router and using it to connect to other WiFi routers or public Hotspots including where you are currently staying at.

+1 I also prefer open source routers although my Asus AC1900 works great using their AsusWRT firmware software.

Make sure that whatever router you get can support WiFi (wireless) router to router and hotspot connections (Repeater mode, bridge mode, or Wisp mode, etc...) because as I found out the hard way, not all of them do.

This company sells routers with open source firmware software and can pre-install VPN providers servers.
Custom Flashed DD-WRT & VPN Privacy App WiFi Routers
https://www.flashrouters.com/

I have a very small mini travel router that I got for around $20 on Amazon.com which is powered by a USB port or USB adapter that I love and works really well with open source firmware openwrt (luci) and many features of advanced high cost routers, but it is only single band 2.4gb and no external antennas for long range. They have other small dual-band routers with antennas as well, see links below.

** Amazon.com: GL.iNET GL-MT300N-V2 Wireless Mini Portable Travel Router, Mobile Hotspot in Pocket, WiFi Repeater Bridge, Range Extender, OpenVPN Client, 300Mbps High Performance, 128MB RAM: Computers & Accessories
https://www.amazon.com/GL-iNET-GL-MT300 ... B073TSK26W

*** Amazon.com: GL.iNet GL-AR750S-Ext Gigabit Travel AC Router (Slate), 300Mbps(2.4G)+433Mbps(5G) Wi-Fi, 128MB RAM, MicroSD Support, OpenWrt/LEDE pre-Installed, Cloudflare DNS, Power Adapter and Cables Included: Electronics
https://www.amazon.com/GL-iNet-GL-AR750 ... C69716V7J6

I got this excellent router below because I needed more range, dual band, and smartphone USB tethering or hotspot.
**** Amazon.com: Asus AC1900 Dual Band Gigabit WiFi Router with MU-Mimo, Aimesh for Mesh WIFI System, Aiprotection Network Security Powered by Trend Micro, Adaptive Qos and Parental Control (RT-AC68U),Black: Computers & Accessories
https://www.amazon.com/ASUS-Dual-Band-A ... B00FB45SI4

Hope this helps ...
Phd21: Mint 19.2 Cinnamon & xKDE (Xfce) & KDE Neon 64-bit Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 2 in 1, Dell OptiPlex 780 Core2Duo E8400 3GHz,4gb Ram, Intel 4 Graphics. I use KDE?:https://opensource.com/life/15/4/9-reasons-to-use-kde
AZgl1500
Level 13
Level 13

Post by AZgl1500 »

ItachiUchiha wrote:
Thu Jun 04, 2020 9:41 pm

Azgl1500, whom was your isp?
in my case, my prior AT&T LTE provider was OliveIP.com based out of south Texas.
they have been experiencing issues with AT&T turning off their distributor's clients Simcards...

it has happened 4 times in the last year, once I waited 10 days to get back up, fortunately I keep a Verizon JetPack WiFi modem activated on my Verizon cellphone account.... so for us, it was a minor thing, except that I had to get a larger Data Plan than the one I usually keep: only 2 gB/month ( keeps my expenses down low, typical data use is 350-500 kB/month for just the cellphones when away from the house )

my son has a good friend where he works that also is a distributor for AT&T LTE data plans, he sells to folks like OliveIP and they up their rates to the final rate that I was paying at $105/month for unlimited...

I am paying distributor rate now which I highly appreciate...
Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon
AZgl1500
Level 13
Level 13

Post by AZgl1500 »

phd21 wrote:
Thu Jun 04, 2020 10:11 pm

I got this excellent router below because I needed more range, dual band, and smartphone USB tethering or hotspot.
**** Amazon.com: Asus AC1900 Dual Band Gigabit WiFi Router with MU-Mimo, Aimesh for Mesh WIFI System, Aiprotection Network Security Powered by Trend Micro, Adaptive Qos and Parental Control (RT-AC68U),Black: Computers & Accessories
https://www.amazon.com/ASUS-Dual-Band-A ... B00FB45SI4
I went direct to the ASUS site and was reading up on this router, Impressive, better than the one I am using, which is no slouch.

What I really appreciated is the easy printer server setup.
https://youtu.be/neFK-I_G90w

It seems that every time the power goes off, my printers forget their WiFi settings, a real PITA.
Would using this router as a printer server eliminate that problem?

Following up on the Reader's comments indicates that it is not without its' faults.
similar problems to what I am having from time to time.
Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon
phd21
Level 19
Level 19

Post by phd21 »

Hi AZgl1500,

I really like the Asus routers. So far, I have not had any negative issues.

I just started yesterday trying various networking options with my printer. My Brother MFP printer (J491DW) does not have an Ethernet port, so I cannot connect it to my Asus router using that which is preferred. This printer when connected to one of the Asus USB ports is recognized but I don't get an ip address to connect my computers to it? Still experimenting with the USB aspect. They have a list of USB supported printers and Brother is not on it, but any printer with an Ethernet port should work. The printer has great WiFi which works and gets an IP address in the router, so I can connect to that. My Android smartphone and tablet have no problems finding the printer and using all of its functions (printing, scanning, even faxing) through the network or using WiFi Direct.

I use the Asus USB 3 port for tethering my smartphone's unlimited data plan which works very well. I have to restart the phone every other day which is a good thing to do with most smartphones anyway and turn back on the USB tethering (quick). FYI: The USA phone provider "Visible" works on the Verizon network and is truly unlimited 4g data for $40 per month and if you can get others to join even less, as low as $25 per month with 4 others. T-Mobile has unlimited data plans at $50-60 per month.

I do have the router and my computers connected to a UPS (battery backup). You are not supposed to connect printers to UPS's.

If your printer looses its Wifi passwords when the power goes out, then no Router will help with that AFAIK. I agree that's a pain to re-enter if you have a good password. You can try connecting your printer to a battery backup even though that is not recommended.

Hope this helps ...
Phd21: Mint 19.2 Cinnamon & xKDE (Xfce) & KDE Neon 64-bit Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 2 in 1, Dell OptiPlex 780 Core2Duo E8400 3GHz,4gb Ram, Intel 4 Graphics. I use KDE?:https://opensource.com/life/15/4/9-reasons-to-use-kde
AZgl1500
Level 13
Level 13

Post by AZgl1500 »

phd21 wrote:
Fri Jun 05, 2020 1:32 am

If your printer looses its Wifi passwords when the power goes out, then no Router will help with that AFAIK. I agree that's a pain to re-enter if you have a good password. You can try connecting your printer to a battery backup even though that is not recommended.

Hope this helps ...
all four of my UPS power supplies plainly state in the manuals, DO NOT CONNECT A PRINTER, the warranty will be voided.

when the thermal ink jets heat up, that is typically 2500 watts, and not many UPS units can handle that.
Most of mine are 600W for the Dish receivers only.... rebooting a satellite tv receiver is a super PITA.

in my office, I bought one of the bigger units, about 2500 watts because I wanted the 24" monitor to stay alive until the PC could be shut down...... after 10 years doing that manually, I finally installed the little USB cable and software to shut it down automatically in 30 minutes if the AC mains don't come back.

if the AC mains go down for more than 10 minutes, the Sat TV receiver goes bye bye anyway.....
we are rural and get a lot of AC power blips, and I just wanted to keep the TV alive during those brief surges.

cars hit a power pole, or high winds whip the power lines together.... not enough to trip a breaker, but enough to cause the Dish or DTV sat TV receivers to reboot.... which takes from 5 to 10 minutes.

all of my printers have WiFi and are pretty good as long as, the power stays on....

I recently was able to get my internet at a decent price thru a friend.... before that, I was paying $105/month.
Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon
Portreve
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Portreve »

I'm paying about $55 (~€49) a month for Comcast and I'm pretty happy. Service outages in my area are fairly rare. They make CenturyLink look like some amateur hour operation. Then again, let's face it: DSL is pretty much garbage anyhow. In fact, I hear the 1990s calling and they want their Internet back. :lol:
Please remember to mark your fixed problem [SOLVED].

Running Linux Mint Cinnamon 20.0.

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.
— Voltaire
AZgl1500
Level 13
Level 13

Post by AZgl1500 »

Portreve wrote:
Fri Jun 05, 2020 1:16 pm
I'm paying about $55 (~€49) a month for Comcast and I'm pretty happy. Service outages in my area are fairly rare. They make CenturyLink look like some amateur hour operation. Then again, let's face it: DSL is pretty much garbage anyhow. In fact, I hear the 1990s calling and they want their Internet back. :lol:
IIRC, that is what I paid Cox Cable down in Phoenix, AZ prior to 2011 when I lived there.

Imagine my horror at discovering that Oologah, OK does NOT have cable internet??
I first used AT&T ADSL, but their copper wire plant is in such a disarray, just a light breeze causes an outage.
and at 18,500 feet from the Central Office, the max speed achievable was about 8.5Mbps, uploads were about half that, can't remember anymore.

I tried ViaSat internet for 8 weeks, could not handle the horrible Latency issue, and when we had a Tornado come by us about 1.5 miles away, the internet and DISH TV both disappeared..... :twisted:

We had to resort to using our cellphone hotspot to get internet, and my plan is only 2gB/month.. don't take long watching Wx Radar to eat that up. :(

and forget about watching Live TV for weather on a cellphone, it is so tiny, it is useless.... Hotspot to a laptop gives a larger screen, but video kills the data plan.... :evil:

Rural is not fun when it comes to communications....
Except for my Ham Radio, lots of room for Antennas :mrgreen:
Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon
phd21
Level 19
Level 19

Post by phd21 »

Hi AZgl1500,
AZgl1500 wrote:We had to resort to using our cellphone hotspot to get internet, and my plan is only 2gB/month.. don't take long watching Wx Radar to eat that up. :(
Phone providers claiming how good 2gb per month is or even 5gb per month is misleading because you can eat that up in a couple days just using the phone in a typical way without streaming videos, or having it connected to a computer or Router for Internet. I have tried many various phone providers and their plans and maybe 10, 12, or 15 gb per month would be okay for some people. That's why I recommend to get an unlimited plan with truly unlimited 4gb or better speed which is hard to find unless you pay a lot and most of them will not allow USB tethering or Hotspot or severely limit it.

I can easily exceed 15gb per month because I use it as my primary Internet service and updating just one of my Linux KDE Neon systems can eat up 2-3gb per update and there are usually 2 updates per month lately. My Linux Mint Cinnamon 19.x updates can be fairly large as well if you have a lot of software installed and I do have a lot of software installed.
AZgl1500 wrote:and forget about watching Live TV for weather on a cellphone, it is so tiny, it is useless.... Hotspot to a laptop gives a larger screen, but video kills the data plan.... :evil:
I am able to stream from my Android phones or Android tablet directly (cast) to my older smart Blu-Ray DVD player or to my Roku streaming stick + (great streaming device) connected to a non-smart older Samsung LED TV. If you have a smart TV, then you can usually stream (cast) directly to those.

Yet, it is much better and easier to just connect the smartphone to the Asus router through USB tethering (keeps phone charged too) or I could use the phone's Hotspot and connect the Asus router to that, and then everything else just connects to the router like a typical home or business network including the Roku streaming stick and smart TV's, computers, Google or Amazon Alexis Home stuff, etc... In order for this to be effective and efficient, I had to find a reasonably priced unlimited data plan phone provider with unlimited 4g access like "Visible". Although "Visible" does limit USB tethering to 5 mbps even though the phone runs at 30-40+mbps usually. I can still stream video without "buffering" (not 4K+ video obviously) and do Internet stuff even at 5mbps.

Most phone providers that claim unlimited data plan only provide high speed 4G or 5G data up to a certain amount of data like 2gb, 4gb, etc... then they lower your speed to 3G or worse 2G or less which is almost unusable, useless. One month I used over 120gb and it was always working with 4G at 5mbps or faster.

AZgl1500
Level 13
Level 13

Post by AZgl1500 »

At home, on my AT&T LTE internet, My cellphone, with SpeedTest, at 4 a.m. can achieve downloads in the 40Mbps range, but the uploads are still restricted to less than 10%

I am currently in Dayton, Ohio visiting my son, and he is on Spectrum cable, and getting 110Mbps down, and uploads are 10ish, so again, the ISPs are restricting our uploads to 10% or less.

I'm anxious to get back home and install the new 9dBi omni antenna on the roof where the old ViaSat dish was mounted.
It should get to about 22-25 feet AGL which will be a darn sight better than laying on my desk in the office.

I have no illusions that magic will happen and be able to get speeds of 40 down in the daylight hours.... too many trees around me. They are in full bloom now, with thick heavy leaves on them.... and there is about a 1/4 mile of them in my "direct line of sight" if that were possible.....

another problem is my home sits in a depression,

My driveway is where the blue pin drop is, and 350 feet south of that is my home, invisible because of the tree cover.
the cell tower is directly South S.E. of my house, right through all of that greenery.

that little tiny white square is my RV trailer, it sits on the concrete pad, just about 20 feet East of my shop building.
Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

Return to “Open chat”