RollyShed
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Don't be boring - add an avatar!

Post by RollyShed »

Schultz wrote:
Thu Dec 08, 2016 9:59 pm
Moem wrote:
You can press Escape to stop an animated GIF from running.
This doesn't work for me. I tried it in both Firefox and Pale Moon.
Did you click on the avatar before hitting Esc?
Works on Firefox.
majpooper
Level 6
Level 6

Post by majpooper »

I think everyone should post an avatar which is a pic of themselves - it would be nice to see who we are talking to. Especially the moderators. Of course mine is from ~2007-08 so there is that, but . . . . . :twisted:
JTemple
Level 3
Level 3

Post by JTemple »

majpooper wrote:
Thu Jun 04, 2020 7:14 pm
I think everyone should post an avatar which is a pic of themselves - it would be nice to see who we are talking to. Especially the moderators. Of course mine is from ~2007-08 so there is that, but . . . . . :twisted:
For the life of me, I can not do it. I read all all instructions and still upload to Mint forum fails. Just not that important to me to spend many more hours working on it. Oddly, this is the only forum I belong to where placing an avatar is such a huge PITA.
The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt. “- Bertrand Russell (I suspect I'm often of the stupid variety!)
karlchen
Level 21
Level 21

Post by karlchen »

JTemple wrote:
Thu Jun 04, 2020 9:40 pm
I read all all instructions and still upload to Mint forum fails. Just not that important to me to spend many more hours working on it. Oddly, this is the only forum I belong to where placing an avatar is such a huge PITA.
How many more times do I have to point to the relevant post and thread, to which I had pointed somebody only yesterday?
You the steps on how to enable an avatar for your forum user account here (illustrated step by step instruction):
how do i export my picture file to the avatar?
And note, though it is mentioned in that thread as well in several places:
No, you cannot upload the avatar image file itself to the forum servers. You upload it to a free image hoster instead.
Linux Mint 19.3 64-bit Cinnamon, Total Commander 9.51 64-bit
Haß gleicht einer Krankheit, dem Miserere, wo man vorne herausgibt, was eigentlich hinten wegsollte. (Goethe)
xenopeek
Level 24
Level 24

Post by xenopeek »

karlchen wrote:
Fri Jun 05, 2020 2:48 am
No, you cannot upload the avatar image file itself to the forum servers. You upload it to a free image hoster instead.
Alternatively you can also upload it to https://en.gravatar.com/ and that way use the same avatar across multiple websites easily.

On ucp.php?i=ucp_profile&mode=avatar set avatar type to Gravatar and enter the email address of your Gravatar account.
koelek
Level 1
Level 1

Post by koelek »

I like avatars, they make me feel better. I like it when a person uses a cool avatar. :D
JTemple
Level 3
Level 3

Post by JTemple »

karlchen wrote:
Fri Jun 05, 2020 2:48 am
JTemple wrote:
Thu Jun 04, 2020 9:40 pm
I read all all instructions and still upload to Mint forum fails. Just not that important to me to spend many more hours working on it. Oddly, this is the only forum I belong to where placing an avatar is such a huge PITA.
How many more times do I have to point to the relevant post and thread, to which I had pointed somebody only yesterday?
You the steps on how to enable an avatar for your forum user account here (illustrated step by step instruction):
how do i export my picture file to the avatar?
And note, though it is mentioned in that thread as well in several places:
I KNEW ALL THAT AND IT IS STILL FAILING! I have no idea why, last time I posted an Avatar it "Took" but is not working now. I know how it is done and this time it fails repeatedly. Yes, I know the pic must be uploaded to a file sharing service, yes I know the url must be an https:// address, and yes, I can read and follow instructions. So, your last post was not helpful.
The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt. “- Bertrand Russell (I suspect I'm often of the stupid variety!)
Moem
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Moem »

I bet that Karlchen was just trying to avoid any potential confusion because you mentioned "upload to Mint forum".

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
karlchen
Level 21
Level 21

Post by karlchen »

Hi, JTemple.

Indeed my previous reply to you had been triggered by the phrase "upload to Mint forum".
Have you made sure that the address, which you had got back from your image file hoster, could be entered into the Firefox urlbar and Firefox displayed the pure picture, nothing else?
Example:
This is the address of my avatar, as it had been displayed on imgur, after I had uploaded the image: https://i.imgur.com/h3q0Dpi.png
If this address is entered in the urlbar, only the image will be displayed. Nothing else.

In case you keep on having trouble enabling a user avatar, then please let us know the address of the image file. Also please let us know at which steps precisely something does not have the result which you expect.

Addendum:
When I started typing my reply, you did not have an avatar. After I had submitted my reply, you suddenly had. - So I assume your issue has been resolved by following xenopeek's advice.

Best regards,
Karl
Linux Mint 19.3 64-bit Cinnamon, Total Commander 9.51 64-bit
Haß gleicht einer Krankheit, dem Miserere, wo man vorne herausgibt, was eigentlich hinten wegsollte. (Goethe)
JTemple
Level 3
Level 3

Post by JTemple »

karlchen wrote:
Fri Jun 05, 2020 10:56 am
Hi, JTemple.

Indeed my previous reply to you had been triggered by the phrase "upload to Mint forum".
Have you made sure that the address, which you had got back from your image file hoster, could be entered into the Firefox urlbar and Firefox displayed the pure picture, nothing else?
Example:
This is the address of my avatar, as it had been displayed on imgur, after I had uploaded the image: https://i.imgur.com/h3q0Dpi.png
If this address is entered in the urlbar, only the image will be displayed. Nothing else.

Best regards,
Karl
I forget which site I used for the first Avatar I loaded on the forum profile (It was not Gravatar). I tried multiple image hosting sites to try and change it; imgur demands a cell phone for verification so I can not use them, all others were rejected by the Mint forums application. Apparently, in my case, it ONLY liked Gravatar this time. I was able to change it multiple times from the Wordpress "Gravatar", Go, figure! I refuse to get or carry a cell phone for my own privacy and security. Any company that demands I use one has to do without my business and that includes Amazon 2 step verification because they refuse to do it via email or land line.
Moem
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Moem »

I'm glad you got it to work, because you're looking positively radiant :D

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
JTemple
Level 3
Level 3

Post by JTemple »

Moem wrote:
Fri Jun 05, 2020 11:17 am
I'm glad you got it to work, because you're looking positively radiant :D
And I grew them all myself! :D
bob466
Level 6
Level 6

Post by bob466 »

Old thread but I do like an Avatar too. Image
Linux For Ever...Windoze Never Image
JTemple
Level 3
Level 3

Post by JTemple »

bob466 wrote:
Fri Jun 05, 2020 10:56 pm
Old Threads do inform new members! That's why we can search them. :D
bob466
Level 6
Level 6

Post by bob466 »

JTemple wrote:
Fri Jun 05, 2020 11:13 pm
bob466 wrote:
Nonsense...didn't work for you did it Image that's why we have a Newbie Section :) so they get the latest information...not years old. Image
Linux For Ever...Windoze Never Image
JTemple
Level 3
Level 3

Post by JTemple »

bob466 wrote:
Sat Jun 06, 2020 5:24 am
JTemple wrote:
Fri Jun 05, 2020 11:13 pm
bob466 wrote:
Nonsense...didn't work for you did it Image that's why we have a Newbie Section :) so they get the latest information...not years old. Image
You will never know the number of times it worked for me BECAUSE I did not need to post a question. :lol:
Moem
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Moem »

bob466 wrote:
So add one already! By the way, did you know you can use those smilies from that site without the blue line underneath, like so? Just remove the link: Image

PhilippeH
Level 2
Level 2

Post by PhilippeH »

Hello! I followed the advice and added an avatar to my profile. It is the French Mozilla logo, from way back (2006) I believe.
nakednorman
Level 2
Level 2

Post by nakednorman »

majpooper wrote:
Thu Jun 04, 2020 7:14 pm
I think everyone should post an avatar which is a pic of themselves - it would be nice to see who we are talking to......
Are you trying to get me banned??
:lol: :lol:
BrianI
Level 1
Level 1

Post by BrianI »

Lol, try as I might, I can't get the remote avatar to work!

https://imgur.com/42lpd7e

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”