How many hours do you sleep. A post from a chronic imsoniac...

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
carum carvi

How many hours do you sleep. A post from a chronic imsoniac...

Post by carum carvi »

I sleep 4 hours and then I cant sleep any longer. I am not feeling particularly energetic or cheery with just 4 hours of sleep, but I get by with 4 hours of sleep. Nothing, NOTHING that I have read about sleep disorders has helped me cure this problem, which started 10 years ago. Some people have troubles getting to sleep, I have troubles sleeping an entire night for 6 hours straight.

How many hours do you, LinuxMint forummember, sleep? And get this, you have to count only the hours of actual sleep. Not the time you get to the bed or out of bed matters, but the actual amount of hours of sleep. It takes the average human being 20-30 minutes to get to sleep. If it takes longer it is categorized as a sleep disorder, if it happens continuously.

An anecdote: a sleep reseacher tried to find ways to make his days more useful. Why bother sleeping 8 hours? A shorter amount of sleep would be beneficial. More work could be done, with less sleep. So he (true story) glued his eyelashes with tape, so he could not close his eyes, when he got sleepy. Did he get less sleep? NO. Did he get a serious eye infection? YES.

How many hours do you sleep? And what have you done/not done/ heard/ read about, which made you sleep LONGER.... oh how I wish I could sleep LONGER...
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 07, 2022 4:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 30 days after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Portreve
Level 13
Level 13

Re: How many hours do you sleep. A post from a chronic imsoniac...

Post by Portreve »

carum carvi wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 6:24 pm I sleep 4 hours and then I cant sleep any longer. I am not feeling particularly energetic or cheery with just 4 hours of sleep, but I get by with 4 hours of sleep. Nothing, NOTHING that I have read about sleep disorders has helped me cure this problem, which started 10 years ago. Some people have troubles getting to sleep, I have troubles sleeping an entire night for 6 hours straight.

How many hours do you, LinuxMint forummember, sleep? And get this, you have to count only the hours of actual sleep. Not the time you get to the bed or out of bed matters, but the actual amount of hours of sleep. It takes the average human being 20-30 minutes to get to sleep. If it takes longer it is categorized as a sleep disorder, if it happens continuously.

An anecdote: a sleep reseacher tried to find ways to make his days more useful. Why bother sleeping 8 hours? A shorter amount of sleep would be beneficial. More work could be done, with less sleep. So he (true story) glued his eyelashes with tape, so he could not close his eyes, when he got sleepy. Did he get less sleep? NO. Did he get a serious eye infection? YES.

How many hours do you sleep? And what have you done/not done/ heard/ read about, which made you sleep LONGER.... oh how I wish I could sleep LONGER...
When I took my present job (back in 2016) I had to adapt to waking up anywhere between about 01:45 and 03:00, and I frequently do not get a lot of good quality sleep. Last July I bought myself a Fitbit Versa Lite, and that was the first time I really got to see what my sleep pattern looked like. I wound up having some unresolvable hardware compatibility problems between it and my phone, so I gave it to a friend and for Thanksgiving I bought myself a Samsung Galaxy Active 2, and it's been fantastic. Anyhow, I keep track of what my sleep pattern looks like, and what I've tried to do is push back my last meal as early as I can, and that's helped.

Nevertheless, it's important to be able to see how much light, deep, and REM sleep you get. I also found out from a friend I stayed with for a week in Germany that I stopped breathing (which is what prompted me to get a smart watch) periodically while sleeping, so...
Flying this flag in support of freedom 🇺🇦

Recommended keyboard layout: English (intl., with AltGR dead keys)

Podcasts: Linux Unplugged, Destination Linux

Also check out Thor Hartmannsson's Linux Tips YouTube Channel
carum carvi

Post by carum carvi »

Portreve wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 7:06 pm ....what I've tried to do is push back my last meal as early as I can, and that's helped.

Nevertheless, it's important to be able to see how much light, deep, and REM sleep you get. I also found out from a friend I stayed with for a week in Germany that I stopped breathing (which is what prompted me to get a smart watch) periodically while sleeping, so...
"Push back my last meal as early as I can". Sorry if I perhaps misunderstood you, (English is not my native language)_, but the time WHEN you eat has indeed been proven to affect your alertness (less problems with jetlag for example) and ones sleep quality in a positive way.

If you your breathing stops during the night, you should seriously consider consulting a doctor or a sleep clinic, who can monitor your sleep. Some people with serious sleep disorders (falling asleep while driving) have sleep apnoea. My uncle and father had it and my uncle "cured" it with an oxygen mask. Apnoea is a really serious sleep disorder.
Last edited by carum carvi on Sat May 30, 2020 2:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Lady Fitzgerald »

I have DSPD (Delayed Sleep Phase disorder), a Circadian Rhythm disorder which people with ADHD often have. It's similar to Non-24 except the delay is not cumulative like it is in Non 24.

Adding to the fun of having DSPD, I'm at an age where my bladder prefers being emptied roughly every two hours at night. I sleep an average of two hours, wake up to answer Nature's call, then go back to bed. Sometimes I manage to get back to sleep but, often, I can't until around 4AM. Ironically, I can sleep like a baby during the day. Even when I'm able to get back to sleep after the first nature call, I rarely can after the second one, which is roughly four hours worth of sleep.

I "affectionately" call my DSPD "shift lag" since it first manifested when I was working a third shift and it's a lot like jet lag. Even though I've been retired over a decade, I still have problems with it.
Jeannie

To ensure the safety of your data, you have to be proactive, not reactive, so, back it up!
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Post by smurphos »

carum carvi wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 6:24 pm I sleep 4 hours and then I cant sleep any longer. I am not feeling particularly energetic or cheery with just 4 hours of sleep, but I get by with 4 hours of sleep.
Pretty much the same here - 6 hours is a lie in, 4 to 5 is average, 3 to 4 annoys me because I do feel like crap but just can't go back to sleep. Been like that for around 20 years now. I have no problem getting to sleep, but as soon as I'm awake for any reason that's it. Hence I'm posting this at 4.06am on a Saturday morning in my time-zone (it was a 3-4 hour night last night). I catch up with weekend afternoon powernaps.

I think it's a learned behaviour from long periods of life with too much to do and not enough time to do it, a subconscious anxiety about missing out on waking hours to get stuff done. Unfortunately the ability / motivation to get stuff done is then impaired by tiredness.
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.
ugly
Level 5
Level 5

Post by ugly »

Probably about 6 hours on average. Less during the week and more during the weekend.

I don't think I have any disorders. It's mostly just bad habits. And hating life. It really wasn't an issue until I started working. At first I think it was anxiety because my boss is such an asshole. But now I'm pretty numb to it. Now I just basically dread waking up in the morning so I end up staying up as late as I can. But when you do that too often, even when you want to sleep longer it is difficult to stay asleep. And then I feel like shit all the time. Or have to waste my free time by taking a nap.
lsemmens
Level 11
Level 11

Post by lsemmens »

I agree with Carum Carvi, if you stop breathing whilst asleep - TALK TO YOUR DOCTOR!!! ASAP!!!! Otherwise, one night you might just forget to start breathing again.

As to sleep patterns Time was when I'd live on 4 or 5 hours sleep a night. I'd be in bed by 2 AM and up again at 0630 for work. As long as I got one good nights sleep (8 hours) every now and then, I'd be fine. Now that I'm old and a geriatric (not that I feel like one....yet) I do try to be in bed by midnight and usually get up at around 10AM though more often than not it is 1 or 2 AM still. So I do get about 8 hours sleep a night, now.
Fully mint Household
Out of my mind - please leave a message
MarHaj
Level 1
Level 1

Post by MarHaj »

I sleep 8:15 on average for years. Feels great. I think it's due my diet (keto + intermittent fasting + not eating 3 hours before going to bed at the least) and lot of exercising (2 hours daily on average). Why? Because before that I slept rather miserably - shallow and short sleep.
MarHaj
kelevra
Level 4
Level 4

Post by kelevra »

When I was working, four hours was about the extent of my sleep time. It had been that way for quite some time. I had to consume alcohol, in excess, to sleep for six or more hours. With this COVID thing and self-isolation, I am lucky if I sleep for three hours at a time. I am moving to a small farm in the very near future and hope the fresh air and many activities related to farm life help. (haying, gardening, animal husbandry...) One can only hope.
"None of us is as smart as all of us." Ken Blanchard

Mint 21 Cinnamon
AMD© R5 2600 @ stock 16GiB

Mint 20.2 Cinnamon
Intel© Celeron© CPU B820 @ 1.70GHz 8GiB
Pepi
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Pepi »

Anywhere from 6 to 7 a night. Now that I'm older I have to get up to pee and sometimes it's hard to get back to sleep.
Swampthing
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Swampthing »

I sleep roughly 8-9 hours and can easily sleep 9-11 hours if I forget to set my alarm, which often happens in the weekends.
I fall asleep quite fast, somewhere between 2-10 minutes.
10-20 years ago, it took me 30-60 minutes to fall asleep.
Now, when I lay my head on my pillow, I think of sailing on a sailboat either with family or friends. That relaxes me.

My wife has a sleep disorder, her sleep is very light and sometimes she wakes after a few hours and can't sleep any more.
She says, its because she used to work night shifts for 18 years and that destroyed her sleeping patterns.
Sometimes she needs a sleeping pill or two if it's really hard for her to fall asleep.
I blame her habit as a couch potato(and falling asleep when the TV is on) and not much exercise.
It's soon midnight and I'm tired, but my teenage kids are with me this weekend(they are from a former relationship), but I insist to be the last in bed. Otherwise they'll be up half the night and can't get up tomorrow, and thats not good. They need to get early to bed sunday evening.
AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

Post by AndyMH »

Pepi wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 5:18 pm Anywhere from 6 to 7 a night. Now that I'm older I have to get up to pee and sometimes it's hard to get back to sleep.
Likewise, being driven out of bed for a pee is what normally gets me up.
Thinkcentre M720Q - LM21.3 cinnamon, 4 x T430 - LM21.3 cinnamon, Homebrew desktop i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0
carum carvi

Post by carum carvi »

kelevra wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 5:06 pm When I was working, four hours was about the extent of my sleep time. It had been that way for quite some time. I had to consume alcohol, in excess, to sleep for six or more hours. With this COVID thing and self-isolation, I am lucky if I sleep for three hours at a time.
You dont need any additional sleep during the day? 3 to 4 hours of sleep will get you through the entire 24 hour day? I have to nap (somewhere, sometime) during the day to be able to stay awake when I have slept 4 hours at night....
carum carvi

Post by carum carvi »

Swampthing wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 5:30 pm I sleep roughly 8-9 hours and can easily sleep 9-11 hours if I forget to set my alarm
Oh lucky you! I am so envious. My girlfriend can sleep 10 hours as well. Amazing. But she still feels tired. Go figure...

Swampthing wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 5:30 pm My wife has a sleep disorder, her sleep is very light and sometimes she wakes after a few hours and can't sleep any more. She says, its because she used to work night shifts for 18 years and that destroyed her sleeping patterns. Sometimes she needs a sleeping pill or two if it's really hard for her to fall asleep. I blame her habit as a couch potato(and falling asleep when the TV is on) and not much exercise.
Better be WARY of the disastrous effect sleeping pills can have and DO have when used for longer periods of time. Sleeping pills have been proven to be one of the causes of sleep disorders when used for prolonged times.
Swampthing
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Swampthing »

carum carvi wrote: Sat Jun 13, 2020 2:25 am Oh lucky you! I am so envious. My girlfriend can sleep 10 hours as well. Amazing. But she still feels tired. Go figure...
I don't know if it helps you, I go into some kind of meditative state when I lay my head on the pillow.
Its otherwise very difficult for me to meditate, because of my tinnitus.
But it's not a problem, when i get to sleep.
carum carvi wrote: Sat Jun 13, 2020 2:25 am Better be WARY of the disastrous effect sleeping pills can have and DO have when used for longer periods of time. Sleeping pills have been proven to be one of the causes of sleep disorders when used for prolonged times.
Yeah, we keep watch of the use of those sleeping pills. She is almost done using them, although she occasionally needs them.
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Post by AZgl1800 »

carum carvi wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 6:24 pm I sleep 4 hours and then I cant sleep any longer. I am not feeling particularly energetic or cheery with just 4 hours of sleep, but I get by with 4 hours of sleep. Nothing, NOTHING that I have read about sleep disorders has helped me cure this problem, which started 10 years ago. Some people have troubles getting to sleep, I have troubles sleeping an entire night for 6 hours straight.

I'm 78 now, and about 3 hours is the longest I can keep my eyes closed.....
activities outside are nearly nothing these days.
back when, after working on the farm, I hit the sack and count 3 sheep and I was out. :mrgreen:
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
kelevra
Level 4
Level 4

Post by kelevra »

carum carvi wrote: Sat Jun 13, 2020 2:20 am
kelevra wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 5:06 pm When I was working, four hours was about the extent of my sleep time. It had been that way for quite some time. I had to consume alcohol, in excess, to sleep for six or more hours. With this COVID thing and self-isolation, I am lucky if I sleep for three hours at a time.
You dont need any additional sleep during the day? 3 to 4 hours of sleep will get you through the entire 24 hour day? I have to nap (somewhere, sometime) during the day to be able to stay awake when I have slept 4 hours at night....
My bad, I should have been a bit more forthcoming. I would get short non REM sleeps after waking up. I drank lots of coffee at work to help. It did affect my work, but not as much as sleeping pills did. I do get cat naps during the day now that I am not working.
"None of us is as smart as all of us." Ken Blanchard

Mint 21 Cinnamon
AMD© R5 2600 @ stock 16GiB

Mint 20.2 Cinnamon
Intel© Celeron© CPU B820 @ 1.70GHz 8GiB
carum carvi

Post by carum carvi »

AZgl1500 wrote: Sat Jun 13, 2020 9:21 am I'm 78 now, and about 3 hours is the longest I can keep my eyes closed.....
Babies and older people (70 plus) tend to sleep shorter periods, but several times a day. This is a common and natural process. Nothing to be worried about, although parents of babies WISH their babies would sleep at REGULAR hours. :D

One older acquaintance of mine (70 plus) thought she had developed a sleeping disorder, but it was simply caused by her getting older and sleeping less and sleeping lighter. Go with the flow and sleep when one feels sleepy, would be a comfortable way of dealing with this particular problem, when getting older.

Azgl1500, do you have short naps during the day, that makes the sum total of hours of sleep per day a bit more than the mere 3 hours? You would be eligble for the Guiness Book of Records if you could suffice with only 3 hours of sleep... :o
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Post by AZgl1800 »

carum carvi wrote: Sun Jun 14, 2020 12:51 am
AZgl1500 wrote: Sat Jun 13, 2020 9:21 am I'm 78 now, and about 3 hours is the longest I can keep my eyes closed.....
Babies and older people (70 plus) tend to sleep shorter periods, but several times a day. This is a common and natural process. Nothing to be worried about, although parents of babies WISH their babies would sleep at REGULAR hours. :D

One older acquaintance of mine (70 plus) thought she had developed a sleeping disorder, but it was simply caused by her getting older and sleeping less and sleeping lighter. Go with the flow and sleep when one feels sleepy, would be a comfortable way of dealing with this particular problem, when getting older.

Azgl1500, do you have short naps during the day, that makes the sum total of hours of sleep per day a bit more than the mere 3 hours? You would be eligible for the Guinness Book of Records if you could suffice with only 3 hours of sleep... :o
oh, I can drop off into a snooze at the drop of a hat.....
like this evening, after a long drive from a friends house to my home, about 6ish hours what with me taking pee breaks... :roll: ,
I sat down in my favorite lounger/recliner and was typing away on the laptop and woke up a couple hours later when my daughter asked me if I am hungry now?

now that I am home, will be catching up on my lost sleep...
for the last two weeks, I have been visiting with my son about 1500 miles away from home....
his recliner is okay, and I can snooze in it, but it is NOT my recliner and doesn't feel quite right :wink:

on this morning's drive home from my friends house, I got the dropsy feeling and needed a nap....
instead of that, I took a Caffeine tablet.... that woke me up, but makes me feel jittery all over.... I am not used to caffeine, not a coffee drinker and we have quit drinking soda pop...

. I should have stopped and tried to get an hour's sleep in the truck, but with today's social problems, even with my friend, Mr. Ruger in my hands, I didn't feel like I could sleep comfortably.

LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
kukamuumuka

Post by kukamuumuka »

I sleep three to nine hours per night, because I have had always very irregular sleep rhythm. :?

Return to “Open Chat”