Unable to autostart Fluidsynth automatically using Startup

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Malik
Level 1
Level 1

Unable to autostart Fluidsynth automatically using Startup

Post by Malik »

Hi, I am unable to autostart Fluidsynth as a background process when starting Mint. (19.3) (On Laptop Thinkpad X230)

I can load it manually at the terminal but can't make it autostart. The command is

Code: Select all

fluidsynth --audio-driver=alsa --midi-driver=alsa_seq --server ~/MIDI/arachno.sf2
I have also tried prefixing the path to fluidsynth in the command section.

When I check with aplaymidi -l, fluidsynth is not loaded, when I start Mint.

Any help is appreciated. Thank you.

P.S. The above command works in Arch Linux that I have installed with MATE DE and LightDM, and the fluidsynth is able to autostart by adding the command in the Startup Applications menu.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
MrEen
Level 23
Level 23

Re: Unable to autostart Fluidsynth automatically using Startup

Post by MrEen »

Hi Malik,

Try a brief pause to the startup command. Maybe ALSA isn't ready when your command runs. I'd suggest this as your Startup command:

bash -c "sleep 5 && fluidsynth --audio-driver=alsa --midi-driver=alsa_seq --server ~/MIDI/arachno.sf2"
Good luck.

P.S. The reason for the bash command is the interpreter for the startup command is pretty basic. This ensures the command is fired properly.
Malik
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Malik »

MrEen wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 2:14 pm Hi Malik,

Try a brief pause to the startup command. Maybe ALSA isn't ready when your command runs. I'd suggest this as your Startup command:

bash -c "sleep 5 && fluidsynth --audio-driver=alsa --midi-driver=alsa_seq --server ~/MIDI/arachno.sf2"
Good luck.

P.S. The reason for the bash command is the interpreter for the startup command is pretty basic. This ensures the command is fired properly.
Hi MrEen, thank you for your response.

I have tried the above but it seems not to be loaded when I check with aplaymidi -l. I even tried delaying the execution within the Startup Application option up to 15 seconds, but still doesn't work.
MrEen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by MrEen »

I'm at a bit of a loss here.

Oops, try this instead:

bash -c 'sleep 5 && fluidsynth --audio-driver=alsa --midi-driver=alsa_seq --server ~/MIDI/arachno.sf2'
Malik
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Malik »

MrEen wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 10:11 pm I'm at a bit of a loss here.

Oops, try this instead:

bash -c 'sleep 5 && fluidsynth --audio-driver=alsa --midi-driver=alsa_seq --server ~/MIDI/arachno.sf2'
Tried that but still doesn't load at startup. :(

Even when I click on "run now" within the Startup Application window, it doesn't run....

Thanks anyway for your help! :)
MrEen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by MrEen »

One last try. I know you said yours works in the terminal, but see if this works for the Startup Applications:

bash -c 'sleep 5 && fluidsynth -a alsa -m alsa_seq -l -i ~/MIDI/arachno.sf2'
I'm basing that on this page: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/FluidSynth
Malik
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Malik »

MrEen wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 4:26 pm One last try. I know you said yours works in the terminal, but see if this works for the Startup Applications:

bash -c 'sleep 5 && fluidsynth -a alsa -m alsa_seq -l -i ~/MIDI/arachno.sf2'
I'm basing that on this page: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/FluidSynth
Tried that, and unfortunately, doesn't load fluidsynth through the autostartup.

I even tried creating a executable file with the fluidsynth loading commands and direct the auto start application to load this file on start up, but it wouldn't autostart.

I also have the MUNT MT-32 emulator which I invoke with the "/usr/bin/mt32emu-qt" which just works fine with autostart. (I already tried disabling this to see if it's conflicting with fluidsynth, but it doesn't, and still won't load automatically, even after the MUNT autostart is disabled.)
MrEen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by MrEen »

I'm completely at a loss. You've done everything I would have tried. I thought that at one time I had fluidsynth installed, but it's not now and I rarely uninstall anything.

Now it gets weirder. I do have Qsynth installed, which is a fluidsynth front-end. I maybe installed something that uninstalled fluidsynth?

Like I said, I'm at a loss why you can't get it autostarted. It looks to me like you've done things properly. I haven't played with any softsynths for some time now, but maybe I'll try over the next few days and see if that leads to something helpful for you. I'm not expecting much though, as some of what you've tried should have worked.
Malik
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Malik »

Thank you for your help.

I too am wondering why it simply refuses to load automatically on startup, the same command which can be loaded manually at the terminal. It's not so much a problem but the disappointment (and annoyance) of why something which is straight forward not working as it should.

Maybe will get the answer as the time goes by.

Thanks again! :)
MrEen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by MrEen »

I think I might know what could be happening. Those Startup things are launching as root, and you need it as your user. Try this change to the original:

bash -c "sleep 5 && sudo -u yourusername fluidsynth --audio-driver=alsa --midi-driver=alsa_seq --server ~/MIDI/arachno.sf2"
I've probably got the syntax messed up, but I suspect this might be the right idea.
Malik
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Malik »

I'm afraid that didn't work too.

I wonder why an otherwise normally successful executing command within a terminal, (including invoking fluidsynth through an executable file), works, but can't run from within Startup Applications. :roll:
MrEen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by MrEen »

Damn, I thought I was onto something with that approach. You don't have JACK autostarting, do you?
Malik
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Malik »

Sorry for the late reply.

No I don't have JACK autostarting.
MrEen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by MrEen »

The only thing I can think of is to try it this way (slightly different):

bash -c 'sleep 5; fluidsynth -a alsa -m alsa_seq -l -i ~/MIDI/arachno.sf2'
MartyMint
Level 7
Level 7

Post by MartyMint »

I believe you need to have JACK running first, before Fluidsynth starts...
I'm not sure...I always start JACK before starting QSynth, Fluidsynth, etc...
Malik
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Malik »

MartyMint wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 10:49 pm I believe you need to have JACK running first, before Fluidsynth starts...
I'm not sure...I always start JACK before starting QSynth, Fluidsynth, etc...
I can start Fluidsynth from the terminal command prompt.Just couldn't load it automatically when I start up Mint, using the Startup Applications control panel item.
Malik
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Malik »

MrEen wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 10:09 pm The only thing I can think of is to try it this way (slightly different):

bash -c 'sleep 5; fluidsynth -a alsa -m alsa_seq -l -i ~/MIDI/arachno.sf2'
Unfortunately this didn't make it autostart too.
Malik
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Malik »

I installed Timidity just now, and it starts automatically along with my MUNT MT-32 emulator, without problems.

I guess, I'll just keep using Timidity in MINT instead.

I'll keep this thread unsolved, since I can't make Fluidsynth start automatically on startup.
MrEen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by MrEen »

Understood.

Do be aware that many users have an issue where Timidity blocks their sound card from working with anything else. Just a heads up.
Malik
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Malik »

MrEen wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 5:23 pm Understood.

Do be aware that many users have an issue where Timidity blocks their sound card from working with anything else. Just a heads up.
Yes, that's true. I noticed that in Arch Linux. Hence, changed to Fluidsynth there.

In Mint, Timidity works without problems (at least, in this laptop) along with the PCM sounds. I tested with DOOM2 in Dosbox.

Return to “Sound”