I forget, but can relearn!

Welcome to newcomers! Don't hesitate to introduce yourself.
Please don't post tech support questions here
Yuritau
Level 1
Level 1

I forget, but can relearn!

Post by Yuritau »

Howdy!

Not actually new here, joined up in 2011 and used version 10 for a year or so, but then fell back into the morass of windows for 8-ish years. In my defense, win7 was notably less terrible than other versions (before and after), lol. I'm back now, and definitely more newbish than I once was.. turns out you can forget a lot in 8 years! So a new newbie post, since I've gone and reverted back to pretty much that state.

I'm just starting the process of building a new gaming PC, which will demand win10 instead of win7, so I figure it's as good a time as any to migrate (almost) fully to Linux! I'll unfortunately need to keep a sad, dark corner on a neglected drive for win10, just for the odd game that can't run in Linux or Wine, but hopefully I can minimize that.

Couple I'm-kinda-a-newbie-again questions, if folk don't mind, as I plan out the drive space allocation for the new system:
1. Are swap partitions still a thing, or does having a silly amount of memory (64 GB) make that irrelevant?
2. I'll be installing mint on a 1 TB m.2 PCIe drive. Is it still recommended to have separate partitions for / and /home?
ajgringo619
Level 8
Level 8

Re: I forget, but can relearn!

Post by ajgringo619 »

Yuritau wrote:
Thu Jun 11, 2020 2:19 pm
Couple I'm-kinda-a-newbie-again questions, if folk don't mind, as I plan out the drive space allocation for the new system:
1. Are swap partitions still a thing, or does having a silly amount of memory (64 GB) make that irrelevant?
2. I'll be installing mint on a 1 TB m.2 PCIe drive. Is it still recommended to have separate partitions for / and /home?
Welcome back! Let me try to answer your questions:
  • I still use swap (swapfile instead of a dedicated partition), but with 16GB I rarely hit. It really depends on what you're doing.
  • The best part of separating /home is if/when you need to reinstall; way easier to get your system back the way you want it.
You mentioned gaming. Steam is getting better and better, not only with game selection but running Windows games via Proton (its version of Wine). Obviously, your mileage may vary.
Mint 19.3 XFCE [kernel 5.4.0-47-generic]
Ryzen 7 2700X Eight-Core w/16 GB RAM
AMD Radeon R9 290 w/4GB RAM
kc1di
Level 16
Level 16

Post by kc1di »

Hello Yuritau,
Welcome back to Mint and the Forums. You'll pick it back up quickly. enjoy! :)
Easy tips : https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.com/ Pjotr's Great Linux projects page.
Linux Mint Installation Guide: http://linuxmint-installation-guide.rea ... en/latest/
Registered Linux User #462608
bob466
Level 6
Level 6

Post by bob466 »

Welcome back to the Forum. :D
Linux For Ever...Windoze Never Image
erginemr
Level 4
Level 4

Post by erginemr »

Welcome Yuritau,

I think we are on the same bus, as I am also back from a long Windows trip.

Regarding your question for "swap", Mint 19 didn't allocate a separate partition during setup for me, but used a swap file à la Windows, which is a wise choice imho. This swap file thing is the new trend in Linux, I guess.
Free as in free speech...
Yuritau
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Yuritau »

Linux using a swap file is new to me, but I like it better than a partition. And with the system having 64 GB of RAM, I can probably get away with only a tiny token of a swap file, hehe. Not like I'll ever bother hibernating anyways.. the OS will be running off a PCIe gen4 M.2 drive. If that's not fast enough, nothing is.
erginemr
Level 4
Level 4

Post by erginemr »

Ha ha, which that much of RAM, you can run a few more computers, let alone needing a swap file. :wink:
Free as in free speech...
deepakdeshp
Level 18
Level 18

Post by deepakdeshp »

Welcome to the Forum
If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help, and keeps the forum clean.
Regards,
Deepak

I am using Mint 20 Cinnamon 64 bit with AMD A8/7410 processor . Memory 8GB

Return to “Introduce yourself”