[SOLVED] How to resize root partition

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
carlzacher
Level 1
Level 1

[SOLVED] How to resize root partition

Post by carlzacher »

Hi. When I watched a tutorial on how to install Linux Mint via dual boot the tutorial said that I did not have to make a large partition for the root so I gate it about 20GB and 400GB for the files. Now I'm shocked because I am running out of space and it seems to be affecting performance.

I was able to look into it for a while and saw the application GParted which I then used to visualize all partitions in my drive. my drive mounted at / was next to an unknown memory partition which is proceeded by the /home. That unknown memory was the linux_swap partition but it was not being recognized. Somehow I was able to free it and add its unallocated space into the root which helped my memory problems for a while. But just to be sure I would want to increase its size even further. And here comes the problem. Using GParted, for some reason I am unable to use the free space on the drive adjacent to the root. When trying to Resize/Move sda6 it does not display the unallocated space as Free space preceding (MiB).

So my questions are why am I unable to resize that drive and how would I able to approach this problem of wanting to increase the size of the root in another way that does not involve GParted if the previous question could not be resolved?

I have attached a photo of what I see when I use GParted.
Attachments
for forum.png
Last edited by carlzacher on Sat Jul 18, 2020 12:57 am, edited 2 times in total.

LanceM
Level 9
Level 9

Re: How to resize root partition

Post by LanceM »

You should be able to use gparted to copy and paste sda6 into the unallocated 48.83 space. Once that's done, you can delete sda6. Then resize the 48.83 space to wind up with about 70GB. This has to be done during a live session. You absolutely can not do it when booted to Mint. In other words the drive must be offline and unmounted. I want to stress, anytime you start moving partitions around, things can get bonked. That's why I said "should". Thusly, use my advice at your own risk. That said, I rely on gparted to do these kind of things all the time. Really an impressive app, indeed.
To mark this issue solved, go to your original 1st post and click the edit pencil and add [Solved] at the beginning of the title and click Submit.
Mint accepts donations: https://linuxmint.com/donors.php

carlzacher
Level 1
Level 1

Post by carlzacher »

The Copy function is greyed out in the right-click menu so I don't think I can copy it. Also, the unallocated space can't be formatted. All options are greyed out in the right-click menu for it.

LanceM
Level 9
Level 9

Post by LanceM »

Well, I don't have an answer - sorry.
To mark this issue solved, go to your original 1st post and click the edit pencil and add [Solved] at the beginning of the title and click Submit.

Seadreamer
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Seadreamer »

You can't make any changes to a root partition that is in use. You must be booted from a USB/DVD edition of Mint for this to work. Be careful with gparted, it is a great utility but dangerous. You should have all your data backed up before trying this.
Homebrew Intel i7 8700k 32gb RAM
LinuxMint 19.3 Mate
Win 10 for games

LanceM
Level 9
Level 9

Post by LanceM »

Seadreamer wrote:
Thu Jun 11, 2020 4:05 pm
You can't make any changes to a root partition that is in use. You must be booted from a USB/DVD edition of Mint for this to work. Be careful with gparted, it is a great utility but dangerous. You should have all your data backed up before trying this.
I told the OP that in my first post, but maybe he didn't use live?

cliffcoggin
Level 6
Level 6

Post by cliffcoggin »

Carl. Do you understand what is meant by a live session? It is something that is rarely explained when mentioned in advice here.

It involves using your installation disc/USB stick, which I hope you have kept, to make the alterations to your hard drive partitions. Do let us know.
Cliff Coggin

JerryF
Level 12
Level 12

Post by JerryF »

You could just resize the / partition using Gparted by grabbing the left boundary of / and drag it all the way to the left (into the unallocated area).

As the others said, you must use a live USB or DVD.

I'd be more concerned why 20 GB for your / partition is running out of space.
*** IF your problem has been solved, please edit your ORIGINAL post and add [SOLVED] to the beginning of the Subject Line. It helps other members when browsing posts. ***

BG405
Level 8
Level 8

Post by BG405 »

JerryF wrote:
Thu Jun 11, 2020 5:48 pm
I'd be more concerned why 20 GB for your / partition is running out of space.
The APT archive might be filling up (I regularly clear mine out). The OP could check using e.g.:

Code: Select all

sudo du /var/cache/apt/archives/
Also I didn't see a swap partition so the swapfile will probably be taking up some space in /.
Dell Inspiron 1525 - LM17.3 CE 64-------------------Lenovo T440 8GB - Manjaro KDE with Mint VMs
Toshiba NB250 - Manjaro KDE------------------------K7S5A AMD 1.2GHz - LM17.3 Xfce 32 & WinXP-Pro
Acer Aspire E11 ES1-111M - LM18.2 KDE 64 ----Two ROMS don't make a WRITE ...

carlzacher
Level 1
Level 1

Post by carlzacher »

Hi, guys. Yep sorry I haven't done this using the live session. Gonna have to figure out how to do that first.

Also yeah I'm also confused on why my root partition keeps increasing in size. It's currently at 24.4GB right now. I feel like it's increasing every time I update. Is that normal? I feel like I've messed up my installation.

mr_raider
Level 7
Level 7

Post by mr_raider »

carlzacher wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 6:13 am
Hi, guys. Yep sorry I haven't done this using the live session. Gonna have to figure out how to do that first.

Also yeah I'm also confused on why my root partition keeps increasing in size. It's currently at 24.4GB right now. I feel like it's increasing every time I update. Is that normal? I feel like I've messed up my installation.
Yes. Root partitions grow and get cluttered. The more stuff you install the bigger it gets. Honestly it's difficult to eye ball the size of a / partition on first install.

Start up timeshift and see if you have a lot of backups saved. Some of the old ones can be deleted.

That's one reason I don't recommend a separate / and /home on single drive setups. Eventually you start wishing one was bigger or smaller.

Moem
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Moem »

mr_raider wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 7:11 am
Start up timeshift and see if you have a lot of backups saved. Some of the old ones can be deleted.
Additionally, it's better not to save them in /. After all, backups should not be kept in the same place as the thing you're backupping.
carlzacher wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 6:13 am
Boot from the medium you used to install. You'll find GParted preinstalled.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!

carlzacher
Level 1
Level 1

Post by carlzacher »

Okay now I have a new problem. I was able to resize the partition by using gparted in a live boot Mint from a usb but when I restarted my laptop it wasn't letting me choose which to boot into like the last time. Because last time every time I boot my laptop it lets me choose if I wanna boot into Mint, Windows, or other options.

carlzacher
Level 1
Level 1

Post by carlzacher »

Okay nvm I got it. I just adjusted some things in the bios and I was back to normal. On to the next problem of upgrading my os into Mint 20, dudes :D Thanks for the help, guys. Appreciate you all.

Return to “Newbie Questions”