How do I make a DVD bootable?

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
PCMan007
Level 2
Level 2

How do I make a DVD bootable?

Post by PCMan007 »

No one is explaining the mechanics of it. All I got was "just burn the .iso file to the disc." Do I burn a packaged .iso file to a DVD? Am I supposed to unpackage the .iso? How exactly does a packaged .iso file become bootable? I don't get it. Please help if you can. I've never made a bootable DVD before.

Is there specific software I'm supposed to use? I'm using Windows 7 Pro, so all I did was drag and dropped the file onto the disc, and hit burn. I tried to boot from the DVD but it didn't boot. Yes the drive is bootable as I have done so with this current DVD-ROM drive on multiple occasions, and in the BIOS, the boot options are 1 Boot from DVD, 2 boot from HDD, 3 boot from removable media.

If you can help, please be extremely detailed as possible, thank you.
Schultz
Level 8
Level 8

Re: How do I make a DVD bootable?

Post by Schultz »

First, you need to find out if you burned the .iso file properly to the DVD or not.

Insert your disc into the disc drive, then browse to it using Windows Explorer (i.e., My/This Computer >> Disc Drive, usually D:). If you burned it correctly, you should see folders on the disc. If it was burned incorrectly, then what you did was simply copy the .iso file itself onto the disc.

Find out and let us know.
PCMan007
Level 2
Level 2

Post by PCMan007 »

Schultz wrote:
Sat Jun 13, 2020 9:20 pm
First, you need to find out if you burned the .iso file properly to the DVD or not.

Insert your disc into the disc drive, then browse to it using Windows Explorer (i.e., My/This Computer >> Disc Drive, usually D:). If you burned it correctly, you should see folders on the disc. If it was burned incorrectly, then what you did was simply copy the .iso file itself onto the disc.

Find out and let us know.
The only thing I see on the disc, is a single, packaged .iso file. No folders and no anything else.
nascar64
Level 2
Level 2

Post by nascar64 »

Hi go to administration look for software manager open it then install k3b afte open go tool then look for burn image make sure u got DVD to burn or use usb writer go.to accessories then look for USB writer that will make a Boot UsB make sure you use an USB Formatter before,hope it work for you
Schultz
Level 8
Level 8

Post by Schultz »

nascar64 wrote:
Sat Jun 13, 2020 9:22 pm
Hi go to administration look for software manager open it then install k3b afte open go tool then look for burn image make sure u got DVD to burn or use usb writer go.to accessories then look for USB writer that will make a Boot UsB make sure you use an USB Formatter before,hope it work for you
This won't work because he's on Windows, he doesn't have any Linux OS installed.
Last edited by Schultz on Sat Jun 13, 2020 9:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Schultz
Level 8
Level 8

Post by Schultz »

PCMan007 wrote:
The only thing I see on the disc, is a single, packaged .iso file. No folders and no anything else.
Okay, the disc has been burned incorrectly. What program on Windows are you using to burn discs?
PCMan007
Level 2
Level 2

Post by PCMan007 »

Schultz wrote:
Sat Jun 13, 2020 9:27 pm
nascar64 wrote:
This won't work because he's on Windows, he doesn't have any Linux OS installed.
Thanks for your help so far. I have to step away from the PC, and will be back in an hour from now. EST time zone.
PCMan007
Level 2
Level 2

Post by PCMan007 »

Schultz wrote:
Sat Jun 13, 2020 9:29 pm
PCMan007 wrote:
Okay, the disc has been burned incorrectly. What program on Windows are you using to burn discs?
the native burner that comes with windows
Schultz
Level 8
Level 8

Post by Schultz »

PCMan007 wrote:
Sat Jun 13, 2020 9:30 pm
Thanks for your help so far. I have to step away from the PC, and will be back in an hour from now. EST time zone.
Okay. The Windows computer in my house is in use now anyway (son is playing Minecraft). When I have a chance I'll look and see how to burn an .iso on it.
Schultz
Level 8
Level 8

Post by Schultz »

Just had a look at it. It appears the built-in Windows burning program does not support burning .iso files. We have on the Windows computer a third-party burning program called CDBurnerXP (don't be confused by the "XP" ending, it has nothing to do with Windows XP). I would advise downloading this program to burn discs. When you open the program, there's an option to "Burn ISO image." That is what you would want to select. From there it should easy to figure out the rest. (Note: we have an older version of it installed, but it shouldn't have changed that much.)
PCMan007
Level 2
Level 2

Post by PCMan007 »

Schultz wrote:
Sat Jun 13, 2020 10:13 pm
Just had a look at it. It appears the built-in Windows burning program does not support burning .iso files. We have on the Windows computer a third-party burning program called CDBurnerXP (don't be confused by the "XP" ending, it has nothing to do with Windows XP). I would advise downloading this program to burn discs. When you open the program, there's an option to "Burn ISO image." That is what you would want to select. From there it should easy to figure out the rest. (Note: we have an older version of it installed, but it shouldn't have changed that much.)
Awesome, thank you. I will get that program and give it a shot. CDBurnedXP worked as far as burning a disc image. I have folders on the disc now. It's 10:51pm EST, so I'm going to try booting from the DVD, and will keep this thread posted and up to date. Thank you again for your help :)

Return to “Newbie Questions”