HDD Check

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
~FLOW~
Level 3
Level 3

HDD Check

Post by ~FLOW~ »

Hello everyone !!
I would like to ask for your thoughts because I've search high and low for a linux tool that check a hdd for bad clusters.
In Windows there are hundreds of little programs that do this, but here in freedom-land so far I have found only 3'sh
badblocks - which for me is useless, I have tried it like 5 times on different hardware, different distros and different HDDs(1TB - 2Tb) and it always stalls after an hour or so.
Gnome-disk-utility and GSmartControl - seem to do the same tests, but for some reason for an external HDD(connected through USB) the Self-tests are greyed out
So far it seems that I have to use a Hiren’s BootCD or alternatives to this.

Do you have any alternative to this ?
Linux Mint 20
Cinnamon 4.6
Kernel 5

Be patient !!
What seams easy for you now, for a newbie might be a monumental helping hand.
An efficient pack will move as fast as the slowest member.
darkstrike
Level 5
Level 5

Re: HDD Check

Post by darkstrike »

Doesn't really help you much, but I find running tests on external hard drives depends on the hard drive enclosure/dock being used. I also use GSmartControl and I have some external drives/enclosures that let me do tests when plugged in via USB but other enclosures that, as you say, are greyed out. Is it possible to try your disk in a different enclosure?
~FLOW~
Level 3
Level 3

Post by ~FLOW~ »

darkstrike wrote:
Sun Jun 14, 2020 11:14 am
I also use GSmartControl and I have some external drives/enclosures that let me do tests when plugged in via USB but other enclosures that, as you say, are greyed out.
With badblocks I can scan...but when I reach 30%-ish ... it stalls

darkstrike wrote:
Sun Jun 14, 2020 11:14 am
Is it possible to try your disk in a different enclosure?
it is, but that not the real issue.
At work I have other HDDs that I have to check from time to time. So I have to use Windows software and it's that feeling that "Linux doesn't do this" that bugs me..
Linux Mint 20
Cinnamon 4.6
Kernel 5

Be patient !!
BG405
Level 8
Level 8

Post by BG405 »

~FLOW~ wrote:
Sun Jun 14, 2020 11:27 am
With badblocks I can scan...but when I reach 30%-ish ... it stalls
Is it reporting any bad blocks before it stops making progress (and not just immediately before)? .. Reason I ask is that these types of disk operations can take an age.. listen and watch for any HDD activity. It might not actually be stalled, after all.
Dell Inspiron 1525 - LM17.3 CE 64-------------------Lenovo T440 8GB - Manjaro KDE with Mint VMs
Toshiba NB250 - Manjaro KDE------------------------K7S5A AMD 1.2GHz - LM17.3 Xfce 32 & WinXP-Pro
Acer Aspire E11 ES1-111M - LM18.2 KDE 64 ----Two ROMS don't make a WRITE ...
~FLOW~
Level 3
Level 3

Post by ~FLOW~ »

it's not reporting anything
But the same I get to maybe 5 HDD-s I tried in my Linux years with badblocks.
Linux Mint 20
Cinnamon 4.6
Kernel 5

Be patient !!

Return to “Newbie Questions”