Mint 20 beta - How to install chromium-browser.

Write tutorials for Linux Mint here
More tutorials on https://github.com/orgs/linuxmint/discu ... /tutorials and (archive) on https://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial
Forum rules
Don't add support questions to tutorials; start your own topic in the appropriate sub-forum instead. Before you post read forum rules
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Mint 20 beta - How to install chromium-browser.

Post by smurphos »

This tutorial is superseded by new (currently WIP) official documentation - https://linuxmint-user-guide.readthedoc ... omium.html
Last edited by smurphos on Tue Jun 16, 2020 2:20 am, edited 9 times in total.
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Re: Mint 20 beta - How to install chromium-browser.

Post by clem »

@smurphos thanks for doing this.

Just a quick note. You mentioned using Buster with pinning as an alternative, how about Bionic? It still received updates for Chromium until 2021 afaik.
fstjohn
Level 5
Level 5

Post by fstjohn »

Maybe just skip Chromium and install Brave.
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Post by smurphos »

clem wrote: Sun Jun 14, 2020 6:58 pm @smurphos thanks for doing this.

Just a quick note. You mentioned using Buster with pinning as an alternative, how about Bionic? It still received updates for Chromium until 2021 afaik.
Thanks Clem. I've added a Bionic option. Do I recall correctly that when Canonical announced this direction of travel they implied they might backport the change to Bionic, or do you think they'll back of from making this kind of change in an existing LTS?
Last edited by smurphos on Mon Jun 15, 2020 3:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Post by smurphos »

fstjohn wrote: Sun Jun 14, 2020 7:41 pm Maybe just skip Chromium and install Brave.
There's a few rumblings of discontent around the wider interwebs re some of Brave's monetisation techniques. I'm not sure if they are warranted or not but food for thought - https://www.technadu.com/brave-browser- ... on/104177/
AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

Post by AndyMH »

Thanks for this, having previously read the blog was thinking about dumping chromium when I move to LM20. Problem was what to replace it with? Was leaning towards vivaldi or brave, but not really happy with either (or any of the other many choices).

Will probably go down the bionic route. Updates through 2021, is buster any longer?

Can we make this topic sticky?
Thinkcentre M720Q - LM21.3 cinnamon, 4 x T430 - LM21.3 cinnamon, Homebrew desktop i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Post by smurphos »

Buster is sometime in 2022 according to - https://wiki.debian.org/DebianReleases# ... %2D07%2D06.
kc1di
Level 18
Level 18

Post by kc1di »

Thanks smurphos,
For the great tutorial. though I've gone to using Chrome beta for the time being as Facebook live will no longer work with Chromium or Chrome stable. only beta at this time.
Easy tips : https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.com/ Pjotr's Great Linux projects page.
Linux Mint Installation Guide: http://linuxmint-installation-guide.rea ... en/latest/
Registered Linux User #462608
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Pjotr »

Nice work, smurphos. :)

However, I've decided to eliminate Chromium from my web browser repertoire: I've replaced it by Opera, which has the additional advantage of a free built-in VPN option. Opera is built on Chromium, by the way.

For me, it's strictly Firefox (common browsing), Chrome (specific purposes) and Opera (specific purposes) now.
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
Roland
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Roland »

note this version will need to be updated manually by the end-user. You will be responsible for downloading a fresh version at intervals of your choosing to ensure you are keeping up with any security related fixes.
Does Chromium warn me when there is an update?
I need Chromium for the Citrix Workspace app; tried to telework under Firefox, did not succeed despite all internet tips I found.
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Post by clem »

smurphos wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 3:12 am
clem wrote: Sun Jun 14, 2020 6:58 pm @smurphos thanks for doing this.

Thanks Clem. I've added a Bionic option. Do I recall correctly that when Canonical announced this direction of travel they implied they might backport the change to Bionic, or do you think they'll back of from making this kind of change in an existing LTS?
Time will tell. For now it's still an option but that's a decision that is entirely up to them.
stig_latin_cousin
Level 1
Level 1

Post by stig_latin_cousin »

A word of caution: I would advise against 'ungoogled-chromium' as it is very late in updates. At the time of writing, it is still using v81 (more than a month without updates). I think it's important to add that information in the tutorial, because it is pointed out in the zip method.

As a side note: it is not encouraged to use any browser maintained by either one (as ungoogled-chromium) or very small group of developers. Web security updates are not something to afford not updating as soon as posible.
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Post by smurphos »

stig_latin_cousin wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 10:16 am A word of caution: I would advise against 'ungoogled-chromium' as it is very late in updates. At the time of writing, it is still using v81 (more than a month without updates). I think it's important to add that information in the tutorial, because it is pointed out in the zip method.

As a side note: it is not encouraged to use any browser maintained by either one (as ungoogled-chromium) or very small group of developers. Web security updates are not something to afford not updating as soon as posible.
That's a fair point although I believe ungoogled-chromium is maintained by a small team (there are certainly multiple contributors to their repos). They appear to have their reasons for not updating the Debian / Ubuntu builds from 81 to 83. The main repo is pretty much up to date with chromium stable - https://github.com/Eloston/ungoogled-chromium - the repo for the Debian / Ubuntu builds has this issue logged - https://github.com/ungoogled-software/u ... issues/147 - and indeed the Debian Buster repo is still on 81 at time of writing.
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Post by clem »

Careful, a few things here...

The pinning info for bionic is wrong, you can't just set priority 1 for ubuntu repos... that's dangerous. You can do it for Debian, but if you want to do it for Ubuntu you have to specify to only do it for Bionic.

There is no "recommended" way from Mint. We'll update the links and info in the packages and release notes to point to information where all alternatives are available. We're working on a user guide for this and a few other things at the moment.
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Post by smurphos »

clem wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 12:25 pm Careful, a few things here...

The pinning info for bionic is wrong, you can't just set priority 1 for ubuntu repos... that's dangerous. You can do it for Debian, but if you want to do it for Ubuntu you have to specify to only do it for Bionic.
Thanks - I've amended the first post - I think using the release v=18.04 or release n=bionic is OK looking at the apt policy output?
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Post by clem »

hmm... I'd want to test that before saying for sure :) Pinning has to be done right, timeshift, test, test, test :)
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Post by clem »

I had to point to something that could be updated (from rel_notes, packages etc..) and that was pertinent, easy to read, and not maintained by just me. We've also needed a place to document quite a lot of things which didn't fit in the previous guides... so now is as good as ever to start writing content for a user guide.

chromium content was added at https://linuxmint-user-guide.readthedoc ... omium.html.
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Post by smurphos »

I've actually taken down the instructions I put up - pending further testing - I got some odd results with the Debian testing.
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Post by clem »

We'll make a team to maintain this, I talked to Xenopeek, I'd like the dev and forums teams to work together on it. The tie to github in the backend also allows the community to participate by creating issues and/or pull requests.
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Post by clem »

I'm going to add a warning also, whether it's pinning or PPAs, to make a snapshot beforehand.

Return to “Tutorials”