What an exciting journey!

Welcome to newcomers! Don't hesitate to introduce yourself.
Forum rules
Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Tsidkenu

What an exciting journey!

Post by Tsidkenu »

G'day mates!

I'm JP from Sydney.

Well I must say that this introduction serves to prove that a complete and utter n00b like myself can even figure this out.

I have no experience in Linux, coding, programming or anything to do with computing except being a 20+ years a point and click Windows thrall. With all the updates to Win10 recently and Gates&Co furthering their agenda for complete technological domination of the human race, I decided it was finally time to stop umming and ahhing about whether or not to finally take the plunge into LINUX.

"Surely," I thought, "Linux can manage, without the windows bloatware, what is now my extremely limited computing life." Readings PDFs/docs, writing PDFs/docs, and internet browsing. I will probably add video editing to this list at a later date, but since that is also new to me I do not really care at the moment which program I end up using for that. As long as I can continue to read my collection of 6,500+ PDFs for my mythology research I don't really care about the rest.

After a visual survey of the relevant distros, I decided that MINT is possibly the closest to what I am used to with my now ex-Windows experience.

The installation instructions were daunting at first. I kept getting caught out with the fact that, when I run PowerShell on the folder, I need to enter the actual NAME of the iso file. After about half a dozen failures (file not found, confused?) I finally figured it out, renamed that stupidly long downloaded iso to something I could easily remember and type out in the command prompt (like LINUXMINT64) and it worked!

Then the resulting hash didn't agree with the SHA256.txt, so I had to figure out where to download a new one from. Thanks AAPTNet Aus, this one worked and agreed!

Followed the instructions to burn a Flash drive and here we are! Wow! That was a fun afternoon!

Thank you everyone for making this experience accessable to even a complete and utter newb.

Cheers,
JP.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
mikaelrask
Level 5
Level 5

Re: What an exciting journey!

Post by mikaelrask »

hey Tsidkenu welcome to linux mint and the forum.
CPU AMD Ryzen 9 7900
Graphic Card: AMD ATI Radeon RX 7900 XT/7900 XTX/7900M
Ram 32 GB ddr 5
Kernel: 6.5.0-14 generic
LM Cinnamon 21.3 edge
kc1di
Level 18
Level 18

Post by kc1di »

Hello JP,
Welcome to Linux Mint Forums, enjoy the journey! :)
Easy tips : https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.com/ Pjotr's Great Linux projects page.
Linux Mint Installation Guide: http://linuxmint-installation-guide.rea ... en/latest/
Registered Linux User #462608
Greencedar
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Greencedar »

Enjoyed your introduction. Welcome to the Linux Mint forum. :D
Greencedar
erginemr

Post by erginemr »

Tsidkenu wrote: Sat Jun 13, 2020 12:41 am As long as I can continue to read my collection of 6,500+ PDFs for my mythology research I don't really care about the rest.
Hi JP, welcome among us!

For reading PDFs, you might find the default PDF reader xreader somewhat restricting, as it stuttered with heavy PDF files which had having background pictures for me. I have replaced it with evince (the one for gnome) which worked better with those. Other notable ones are mupdf (best one in terms of speed and compatibility, but has a bare-bones gui interface) and foxit (closed source). Take care. :)
deepakdeshp
Level 20
Level 20

Post by deepakdeshp »

Welcome to the Forum
If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help.
Regards,
Deepak

Mint 21.1 Cinnamon 64 bit with AMD A6 / 8GB
Mint 21.1 Cinnamon AMD Ryzen3500U/8gb
Tsidkenu

Post by Tsidkenu »

erginemr wrote: Sun Jun 14, 2020 5:07 am you might find the default PDF reader xreader somewhat restricting, as it stuttered with heavy PDF files which had having background pictures for me. I have replaced it with evince (the one for gnome) which worked better with those. Other notable ones are mupdf (best one in terms of speed and compatibility, but has a bare-bones gui interface) and foxit (closed source). Take care. :)
This is super helpful; thank you erginemr!
RIH
Level 9
Level 9

Post by RIH »

If you do a great deal of work with PDFs then Master PDF Editor is the program for you.
Version 5 is a paid for program if you need the latest.
Version 4 is free though & still available for download.

Select
http://code-industry.net/public/master- ... .amd64.deb
then just right mouse click on it to install with the GDebi package manager..
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi Tsidkenu,

Welcome to the wonderful world of Linux Mint and its excellent forum!
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & xKDE (Mint Xfce + Kubuntu KDE) & KDE Neon 64-bit (new based on Ubuntu 20.04) Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573) 2 in 1 touch screen, Dell OptiPlex 780 Core2Duo E8400 3GHz,4gb Ram, Intel 4 Graphics.
bob466
Level 6
Level 6

Post by bob466 »

Welcome to the Forum. :D
Linux For Ever...Windows Never. Image
The Freedom To Choose Your Own Avatar Without Victimisation.
absque fenestris
Level 12
Level 12

Post by absque fenestris »

As long as I can continue to read my collection of 6,500+ PDFs for my mythology research I don't really care about the rest.
Two more suggestions for the professional PDF reader: "Okular" with the additional modules and the WPS package. Together with the suggestions of the forum members above, you should also be able to read the most impossible PDF ...

https://www.wps.com/linux/

deepakdeshp
Level 20
Level 20

Post by deepakdeshp »

Welcome to the Forum
If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help.
Regards,
Deepak

Mint 21.1 Cinnamon 64 bit with AMD A6 / 8GB
Mint 21.1 Cinnamon AMD Ryzen3500U/8gb

Return to “Introduce Yourself”