Change Default Font Size?

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
krauster
Level 2
Level 2

Change Default Font Size?

Post by krauster »

Linux Mint 19.3 Mate

Where do I set the a general font size to make everything bigger? I am using a 1920x1080 monitor it would be good to increase the font size.
I watched a youtube and the guy pointed to a Fonts window with a Text Scaling Factor setting in Mint 18. But I don't see it in 19.3 Mate.

I can go to Appearance Preferences and bumped up from 12 to 14 all five categories (Application, Document, Desktop, Window Title, Fixed width) but I was wondering where is a general scaling setting so that all elements of the screen get larger by a scaling factor.
erginemr
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Change Default Font Size?

Post by erginemr »

Under Menu > Prefs > Display, there is a primitive display scaling setting:
sshot.jpg
However, the upcoming Mint 20 release will have fractional (125%, 150%, etc.) scaling as indicated by the release notes:
https://www.linuxmint.com/rel_ulyana_ci ... atsnew.php
Free as in free speech...
krauster
Level 2
Level 2

Post by krauster »

screenshot_4.png
f
when I go to Menu > Preferences > Displays i see this window in 19.3 Mate.

I guess I'll be waiting for Mint 20.
erginemr
Level 4
Level 4

Post by erginemr »

Unfortunately, there is no mention of scaling change in Mate notes:
https://www.linuxmint.com/rel_ulyana_mate_whatsnew.php

I hope they will implement it for the Mate desktop, too.
smurphos
Level 17
Level 17

Post by smurphos »

In MATE - Menu > Preferences > Appearance > Fonts - Here you can set font sizes.

Hitting the Details button allows you to set the DPI which is broadly equivalent to Cinnamon's Text Scaling Factor.

For user interface scaling - Menu > Preferences > Desktop Settings > Windows - you can chose between Auto, Normal and Double.
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.
erginemr
Level 4
Level 4

Post by erginemr »

It seems, the same setting has been stashed in Mate under Control Center > Desktop Settings:
Pano01.jpg
There is also a font DPI setting in Control Center > Appearance, which may alleviate the situation:
Pano02.jpg
erginemr
Level 4
Level 4

Post by erginemr »

smurphos wrote:
Wed Jun 17, 2020 3:26 am
In MATE - Menu > Preferences > Appearance > Fonts - Here you can set font sizes.

Hitting the Details button allows you to set the DPI which is broadly equivalent to Cinnamon's Text Scaling Factor.

For user interface scaling - Menu > Preferences > Desktop Settings > Windows - you can chose between Auto, Normal and Double.
Agreed. Sorry for the double post.

Return to “Newbie Questions”