Red Spot

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
sevenmpd
Level 3
Level 3

Red Spot

Post by sevenmpd »

Evening All
Looking for suggestions as to what could be causing the 'red spot' in the lower left hand corner of my screen. If I reboot it goes away but reappears at random intervals
Thanks
H
screenshot_2.png
screenshot_2.png (159.88 KiB) Viewed 945 times
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
gittiest personITW
Level 12
Level 12

Re: Red Spot

Post by gittiest personITW »

Might be you are using the inbuilt screen recorder...
CTRL ALT SHIFT R

Does it for me too if I record the screen.
sevenmpd
Level 3
Level 3

Post by sevenmpd »

Many thanks for your reply you may well be correct but I need to try and find what's starting it as I have never used that key combination.
H
gittiest personITW
Level 12
Level 12

If you press that key combination, that will stop it anyhow.
Look in your ~/home/user folder and you'll see the video(s).

If you reboot and it is still there, look in Menu/startup applications to see what might be the source of the red dot from hell.
sevenmpd
Level 3
Level 3

Post by sevenmpd »

Spot on checked out folder and there were several files in there,just need to find what I'm doing to trigger it :D
gittiest personITW
Level 12
Level 12

Could be your cat lies on the keyboard and starts clawing at their favourite keys.
Let us know once you figure it out - might be a hidden shortcut.
See when it first started - see the files that were recorded.
sevenmpd
Level 3
Level 3

Post by sevenmpd »

That's even more intriguing I don't have a cat :lol: All of the files appear to be video's of some sort and when I tried to open one (a) up popped the red spot and (b) error message pop-up so now we know what happening just need to find the cause !
H
screenshot_3.png
screenshot_3.png (3.67 KiB) Viewed 814 times
Attachments
screenshot_4.png
sevenmpd
Level 3
Level 3

Post by sevenmpd »

Think I may have found the cause the last time the red stop came on was when I did the two above screen shots and the file shows me compiling my previous file. The screen shot were done with flameshot so it looks like that the culprit however I can't make it happen :?
gittiest personITW
Level 12
Level 12

I use ksnip which is very nice and simple and found in Software Manager if you are in the market for screenshot software.
sevenmpd
Level 3
Level 3

Post by sevenmpd »

Ive found one thing that starts the recording if I highlight a number of lets say emails by holding down the shift key and dragging the mouse the recording starts to stop it just press the shift key :D So what's causing this action and how to disable it or even uninstall the software responsible !
gittiest personITW
Level 12
Level 12

If you go into System Settings/Keyboard/Shortcuts/System/Screenshots and Recording - have a good look see to see what the problem could be. Could also disable the record screen shortcut completely if you don't need it.Look through all the shortcuts and see if something sticks out.
sevenmpd
Level 3
Level 3

Post by sevenmpd »

Thanks for the suggestion Ive looked everywhere even in gnome keyboard shortcuts all point to CTRL ALT SHIFT R being the shortcut to both start and stop screen recording but that combination doesn't work for me maybe the is the term key 'binding' got altered some how.

Return to “Beginner Questions”