Is Linux mint is most customizable os ?

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
AFKhero008

Is Linux mint is most customizable os ?

Post by AFKhero008 »

In my opinion linux mint is most customizable . I have customized it like Windows xp,7,vista,10,Mac os .
it has many themes that you can make you own theme .
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 07, 2022 4:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 30 days after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
erginemr

Re: Is Linux mint is most customizable os ?

Post by erginemr »

Let's say Linux in general. :) Not just themes, the sheer number of available desktops (cinnamon, mate, gnome3, xfce, kde, lxde, openbox, et al.) is also mind-blowing.
mr_raider
Level 7
Level 7

Post by mr_raider »

Customization is a function of the desktop environment, and MATE, XFCE and Cinnamon are quite customizable. However, those three DEs are not unique to Mint. Mint just presents them with fairly clean and unified aesthetic. For absolute customization, I like KDE, but that's a personal preference.

Note that Mint is not the only distro that offers multiple editions. Ubuntu for example offers several editions too. Some distros like Fedora allow you to choose your DE at pickup.
iain_33
Level 3
Level 3

Post by iain_33 »

I was only reading yesterday about Gentoo Linux in which all software (even the kernel if you want to go that far) is downloaded as source and configured and compiled by the user as they wish - don't think you can get much more customizable than that!

I'll stick with Mint on my main laptop, but thinking of putting Gentoo on my old one just to see how far I get :lol:
Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon on Lenovo Legion Y540 laptop (2020)
Swampthing
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Swampthing »

mr_raider wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 10:40 am Some distros like Fedora allow you to choose your DE at pickup.
Debian lets you choose DE at login.
Its pretty neat, I hope it comes to Mint as well.
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

iain_33 wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 10:56 am I was only reading yesterday about Gentoo Linux in which all software (even the kernel if you want to go that far) is downloaded as source and configured and compiled by the user as they wish - don't think you can get much more customizable than that!

I'll stick with Mint on my main laptop, but thinking of putting Gentoo on my old one just to see how far I get :lol:
I thought of Gentoo myself ... you really cannot get much more customizable than that. However Gentoo is for REALLY advanced users. You will get zero hand holding on their support sites.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
iain_33
Level 3
Level 3

Post by iain_33 »

I'm by no means an advanced user - barely graduated as a newbie - so Gentoo will go nowhere near my daily driver, but I like a challenge - I'm bound to learn something on the way
Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon on Lenovo Legion Y540 laptop (2020)
Portreve
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Portreve »

Given that with Windows one pretty much had to install custom software in order to really customize the appearance of the desktop (as contrasted with Mac OS and Mac OS X which exposed nearly no APIs or anything else related to appearance) I'd have to say GNU+Linux overall, and all the current major desktop environments for it make it the most customizable, and the most inherently/intrinsically customizable.
Flying this flag in support of freedom 🇺🇦

Recommended keyboard layout: English (intl., with AltGR dead keys)

Podcasts: Linux Unplugged, Destination Linux

Also check out Thor Hartmannsson's Linux Tips YouTube Channel
zaileion
Level 4
Level 4

Post by zaileion »

I think its the most customizable without completely building your own OS from a base distro like Debian or Arch. Especially if you choose to use Compiz and install Emerald. Its really unbelievable.
Moonstone Man
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Moonstone Man »

zaileion wrote: Sat Jun 20, 2020 11:25 pm I think its the most customizable without completely building your own OS from a base distro like Debian or Arch. Especially if you choose to use Compiz and install Emerald. Its really unbelievable.
Whereas with KDE you need neither the outdated Compiz, outdated Emerald or your own OS.
Portreve
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Portreve »

Kadaitcha Man wrote: Sat Jun 20, 2020 11:43 pm
zaileion wrote: Sat Jun 20, 2020 11:25 pm I think its the most customizable without completely building your own OS from a base distro like Debian or Arch. Especially if you choose to use Compiz and install Emerald. Its really unbelievable.
Whereas with KDE you need neither the outdated Compiz, outdated Emerald or your own OS.
I'd really love to see the KDE software, sitting installed on the drive, try and function on its own. :wink:
Flying this flag in support of freedom 🇺🇦

Recommended keyboard layout: English (intl., with AltGR dead keys)

Podcasts: Linux Unplugged, Destination Linux

Also check out Thor Hartmannsson's Linux Tips YouTube Channel
erginemr

Post by erginemr »

I remember setting up Compiz-Emerald in Ubuntu and look at magic lamp effects and the cubic desktop switcher in awe. :shock: Ah, good ol' days...
zaileion
Level 4
Level 4

Post by zaileion »

erginemr wrote: Sun Jun 21, 2020 11:26 am
I remember setting up Compiz-Emerald in Ubuntu and look at magic lamp effects and the cubic desktop switcher in awe. :shock: Ah, good ol' days...
Just in case you werent aware, compiz is available 100% like the old days in all Limux Mint Mate and XFCE releases. Not Cinnamon tho. If you have Mate Go to Control Center, Dekstop Settings, Windows tab and Select Compiz under the Window Manager option. Then configure Compiz as you wish using the Compiz Config Settings Manger.

You can also Embed a terminal window right into the desktop by following these instructions. http://www.webupd8.org/2009/05/ubuntu-e ... sktop.html

Nothing beats Linux MInt Mate and Compiz, although KDE is certainly an equal partner in the customization possibilities like @Kadaitcha Man posted above. I just prefer Gnome 2 (Mate) I guess because I'm used to it at this point.
erginemr

Post by erginemr »

Thank you very much @zaileion for the instructions. Unfortunately I have installed Mint Cinnamon, although Mate or Xfce is a command away:

Code: Select all

sudo apt install mint-meta-mate
sudo apt install mint-meta-xfce
and it is good to know that Compiz has been integrated to the system. Gnome 2 has a special place in my heart, too.
detimo

Post by detimo »

AFKhero008 wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 11:36 pm In my opinion linux mint is most customizable . I have customized it like Windows xp,7,vista,10,Mac os .
it has many themes that you can make you own theme .
Yes, especially compared to mobile systems or other desktop systems. Other unix systems are similar about customization (bsd)
In Linux not only you can change the theme, but you can change the window manager or even code your own. That's why on Linux there are so many window managers for Linux (window maker, blackbox, fluxbox, openbox, enlightenment etc etc).

Return to “Open Chat”