<SOLVED> Is Linux Mint Debian or Ubuntu ?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
trexxon

<SOLVED> Is Linux Mint Debian or Ubuntu ?

Post by trexxon »

Hi guys,
I'm pretty new to linux, trying to learn stuff etc

I am thinking about installing linux mint to my parents pc cuz their old pc has windows xp, but if anything goes wrong i want to connect them remotely .

Thus I want to install TeamViewer but there is a problem, in the installation page of linux it has different setup links for different releases as shown below, also on other programs i can see these options = ubuntu,debian,redhat etc

https://www.teamviewer.com/en/download/linux/

my question is which 1 is linux mint equivalent ? if i want to download another app with same options which 1 should i choose ?

is it ubuntu ?

Thanks
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
iain_33
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Is Linux Mint Debian or Ubuntu ?

Post by iain_33 »

Hello trexxon

Mint is based on Ubuntu, which is based on Debian, so you'll want the Debian/Ubuntu option. Once you've downloaded the .deb file, double-click it and it will install.
Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon on Lenovo Legion Y540 laptop (2020)
ralplpcr
Level 6
Level 6

Post by ralplpcr »

The answer is ... both!

Debian is the "root" distribution. It is built from scratch using the linux kernel.

Ubuntu based on Ubuntu. It takes Debian as the starting point, and enhances it. It is arguably one of the most popular of many linux distributions to build on the Debian base and create a new release with additional features.

Linux Mint (with the exception of LMDE editions*) do the same thing, except they use Ubuntu as the starting point. Mint tends to focus on stability, and hence versions are released slower than Ubuntu releases - - they are all built on the long-term support Ubuntu, rather than following Ubuntu's 6 month update cycle.

I'd say that if there is a choice of selecting a .DEB either for Ubuntu or Debian, you should probably pick the Ubuntu version first. The Debian version would likely work, but the Ubuntu version is probably a better fit to support the additional customizations that Mint would inherit.

*LDME Mint is the exception to the rule. It is based directly on the Debian root distribution, and will not contain all the Ubuntu customizations. If you are running LDME, you should then select the Debian version.
GS3
Level 8
Level 8

Post by GS3 »

trexxon wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 5:59 amI want to install TeamViewer
I used to use and like Teamviewer but they got very nasty about accusing users of commercial use and it finally became virtually unusable. I had to look for a replacement and found Anydesk which works just as well without the hassle. I highly recommend it.

And then I would recommend installing any software using Synaptic Package Manager. It has always worked well for me and it takes care of everything. For example, search for Anydesk and it will tell you if it is installed or not and you can mark it for installation. Works very well for me.
Please do not use animated GIFs in avatars because many of us find them distracting and obnoxious. Thank you.
jonau01
Level 3
Level 3

Post by jonau01 »

You can also install skype for linux
kc1di
Level 18
Level 18

Post by kc1di »

I would second GS3's recommendation of anydesk. Works great on Linux.
Easy tips : https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.com/ Pjotr's Great Linux projects page.
Linux Mint Installation Guide: http://linuxmint-installation-guide.rea ... en/latest/
Registered Linux User #462608
trexxon

Post by trexxon »

Thanks everybody for explaining deeply what is what and what come from where really helped to understand .
bmike1
Level 6
Level 6

Re: <SOLVED> Is Linux Mint Debian or Ubuntu ?

Post by bmike1 »

don't use anydesk. use nomachine. written on linux
    :)~Mikey~(:
    greencloud

Post by greencloud »

ralplpcr wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 7:03 am The answer is ... both!
    Does it mean the Mint developers took a snapshot of Ubuntu and Debian code or something like that some 13 years ago and started their development from it?
    GS3
    Level 8
    Level 8

Post by GS3 »

greencloud wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 5:16 am Does it mean the Mint developers took a snapshot of Ubuntu and Debian code or something like that some 13 years ago and started their development from it?
    Ubuntu is a fork of Debian.
    Wikipedia Comparison of Linux Distributions
    Please do not use animated GIFs in avatars because many of us find them distracting and obnoxious. Thank you.
    greencloud

Post by greencloud »

GS3 wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 8:11 am
    greencloud wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 5:16 am Does it mean the Mint developers took a snapshot of Ubuntu and Debian code or something like that some 13 years ago and started their development from it?
    Ubuntu is a fork of Debian.
    Wikipedia Comparison of Linux Distributions
    I know that that's why I asked. Because in Wikipedia for Linux Mint it says, "Linux Mint is a community-driven Linux distribution based on Ubuntu or Debian" which is actually quite unclear. My first thought was they might have taken a snapshot of Debian code and based most of its features from Ubuntu. I'm just curious when they said Linux Mint is "based" on Ubuntu or Debian.
    bmike1
    Level 6
    Level 6

Post by bmike1 »

You can edit wikipedia. change "distribution based on Ubuntu or Debian" to "distribution based on Ubuntu which is based on Debian".
    :)~Mikey~(:
    greencloud

Post by greencloud »

bmike1 wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 11:14 am You can edit wikipedia. change "distribution based on Ubuntu or Debian" to "distribution based on Ubuntu which is based on Debian".
    Hahaha, I actually thought of doing that. There's actually a follow-up question with that and that's, How much Ubuntu is there in Mint? I know this question will never be answered precisely as to how much but I just thought there's no harm in trying :)
    zcot
    Level 9
    Level 9

Post by zcot »

From the wiki, "Linux Mint is a community-driven Linux distribution based on Ubuntu or Debian" is referring to the fact that there are 2 variations of Mint.

It was already mentioned above, but there should be a clear distinction of "Linux Mint" and "LMDE". Both are "Mint", and the first one is a fork of the Ubuntu distribution and the second is a fork from using the Debian distribution, -completely separate things here. Forget about saying "Ubuntu is based on Debian" for this discussion.

If you are running LMDE then you look for Debian instructions. LMDE means exactly "Linux Mint Debian Edition".

If you are using Linux Mint then you look for Ubuntu instructions when they are there(and they almost always are). There are plenty of places lately that are also showing "Mint" instructions, or just say "Ubuntu/Mint". This so-called "main", so-called "edition" is based on Ubuntu. If you hear or see mention of "Linux Mint" then you could be sure we're talking about NOT the "LMDE" version. ;)

Also, to further clarify, if you did want to edit the wiki to say "distribution based on Ubuntu which is based on Debian", then you are removing a very important part of the sentence. So, that's not a good edit. To be more clear it would be something more in the line of "Linux Mint is a community-driven Linux distribution which offers 2 different editions which are based on Ubuntu or Debian respectively."
    greencloud

Post by greencloud »

zcot wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 12:33 pm From the wiki, "Linux Mint is a community-driven Linux distribution based on Ubuntu or Debian" is referring to the fact that there are 2 variations of Mint.

It was already mentioned above, but there should be a clear distinction of "Linux Mint" and "LMDE". Both are "Mint", and the first one is a fork of the Ubuntu distribution and the second is a fork from using the Debian distribution, -completely separate things here. Forget about saying "Ubuntu is based on Debian" for this discussion.

If you are running LMDE then you look for Debian instructions. LMDE means exactly "Linux Mint Debian Edition".

If you are using Linux Mint then you look for Ubuntu instructions when they are there(and they almost always are). There are plenty of places lately that are also showing "Mint" instructions, or just say "Ubuntu/Mint". This so-called "main", so-called "edition" is based on Ubuntu. If you hear or see mention of "Linux Mint" then you could be sure we're talking about NOT the "LMDE" version. ;)

Also, to further clarify, if you did want to edit the wiki to say "distribution based on Ubuntu which is based on Debian", then you are removing a very important part of the sentence. So, that's not a good edit. To be more clear it would be something more in the line of "Linux Mint is a community-driven Linux distribution which offers 2 different editions which are based on Ubuntu or Debian respectively."
    Thank you @zcot. I think you just answered the questions I have in mind indirectly and satisfyingly.

Return to “Beginner Questions”