LibreOffice 7.0

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

LibreOffice 7.0

Post by Pierre »

whilst this Beta is available on All Major platforms:
https://libreoffice-dev.blogspot.com/20 ... e-for.html

it would be Interesting, to see how folks are finding out how it compares,
- to the previous Libre Office versions, that are currently available.

NB: in the macOS / Linux World - - it's only available as an 64bit program.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
Portreve
Level 13
Level 13

Re: LibreOffice 7.0

Post by Portreve »

Libre Office is a lot more reliable and solid in GNU+Linux than Windows. OMG...
Flying this flag in support of freedom 🇺🇦

Recommended keyboard layout: English (intl., with AltGR dead keys)

Podcasts: Linux Unplugged, Destination Linux

Also check out Thor Hartmannsson's Linux Tips YouTube Channel
BenTrabetere
Level 7
Level 7

Post by BenTrabetere »

I downloaded the LO 7.0 beta AppImage this morning. I have not had time to do anything meaningful with it, but it seems to play nice with the 6.4.2 AppImage. I scanned the release notes, and I do not see much that will affect me. I like the arrangement of new Sidebar.
Patreon sponsor since August 2022
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Post by AZgl1800 »

in the past, I have tried the upgraded versions of LO, and was disappointed.
so, I stick with what works for me.
there is no real advantage to making changes to something that I only use as an Editor or a Spreadsheet....

the real downside of LO is the macro setup, it stinks to high heaven......
that is one place where Microsoft Office runs circles around LO.

as of now, I am using what came with 19.3 which is 6.0.7.x
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
KBD47
Level 7
Level 7

Post by KBD47 »

LibreOffice really needs to get a version history for Writer, and automatically setup back up of files instead of depending upon users to find the setting. LO could be awesome with some common sense default settings and options.
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Post by AZgl1800 »

KBD47 wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 8:27 pm LibreOffice really needs to get a version history for Writer, and automatically setup back up of files instead of depending upon users to find the setting. LO could be awesome with some common sense default settings and options.
I will agree with that.
Just trying to figure out how to make a Macro work is a major pain....
I have yet to make one macro work, ever....

it takes a while to figure out "where to find" the option you want....
is it in the overall general options, or is it only in the application itself?

I have AutoBackup set to 1 minute, I have a terrible problem of falling asleep while I am typing, and then pressing down on the keyboard and ending up with zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
lsemmens
Level 11
Level 11

Post by lsemmens »

I spent a lot of time writing macros using VBA. When I finally converted to Libre Office I actually found that a lot of my code was redundant. i.e. Libre Office had already addressed to issues that my code was written to fix. It's about 12 months since I've needed to address Libre office basic, the best I can offer is, there is a solution out there it's just a matter of finding it.
Fully mint Household
Out of my mind - please leave a message
ellie145

Post by ellie145 »

Guys hi,
It's the first time I'm using Libre Office... I had some .docx on my external hard drive and some of them couldn't be open in LibreOffice... is there anything I can do? Those were written with M. Word.
erginemr

Post by erginemr »

ellie145 wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 2:16 pm Guys hi,
It's the first time I'm using Libre Office... I had some .docx on my external hard drive and some of them couldn't be open in LibreOffice... is there anything I can do? Those were written with M. Word.
You can try WPS Office. They have a deb installer on their site. Although it is closed source, it has better compatibility with MS documents.

LibreOffice is a better and more versatile overall product, however.
KBD47
Level 7
Level 7

Post by KBD47 »

ellie145 wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 2:16 pm Guys hi,
Freeoffice:
https://www.freeoffice.com/en/
ellie145

Post by ellie145 »

KBD47 wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 4:15 pm Freeoffice:
https://www.freeoffice.com/en/
Thank you so much!
ellie145

Post by ellie145 »

erginemr wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 2:44 pm
You can try WPS Office. They have a deb installer on their site. Although it is closed source, it has better compatibility with MS documents.

LibreOffice is a better and more versatile overall product, however.

It's pretty good indeed! I will check this out too! Thank you!!
since2019
Level 3
Level 3

Post by since2019 »

Libreoffice 7 is out but i don't see it on mint 19.3 updates. why?
inxi -Fxz
laptop Kernel: 5.0.0-32-generic i686 bits Cinnamon 4.4.5 Linux Mint 19.3 Tricia TOSHIBA Satellite A135 Dual Core Intel T2080 M Yonah, 800/1733 MHz, Intel Mobile 945GM/GMS Express Integrated Graphics, Drive 111.79 GiB, Memory 0.93 GiB
BenTrabetere
Level 7
Level 7

Post by BenTrabetere »

since2019 wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 9:43 pm Libreoffice 7 is out but i don't see it on mint 19.3 updates. why?
#1 Answer: Linux Mint is a LTS (Long Term Support) distribution - it offers a stable operating system over the access to the most current version of software packages. For a more complete answer, see:
viewtopic.php?f=47&t=31954#p183862

There is a LibreOffice PPA that will install/update the current releases. I expect it to update to 7.0.0 in the next day or two.

Another option is to use the AppImage, flatpak or Snap editions of LibreOffice. I do not use the flatpak or Snap, but you can install the flatpak from Software Manager and it should update to 7.0. I use and recommend the AppImage - it does not interfere with the installed, proven to be stable version, and so it provides you a nice fall-back position if a version of LO is not ready for prime time.

You can find the AppImage at https://libreoffice.soluzioniopen.com/. Download the file, make it executable, and run. If it does not suit your needs, simply delete the file.
Patreon sponsor since August 2022
dobriain
Level 2
Level 2

Post by dobriain »

I installed LO7 on Linux Mint 20.1 Ulyssa. When I open Impress presentation I cannot see background images on the slides. I checked the Master Slide and the image is there fine. Back to LO6.4 for me.

Return to “Chat about Linux”