Hello there, will this be for me?

Welcome to newcomers! Don't hesitate to introduce yourself.
Please don't post tech support questions here
Graham001
Level 1
Level 1

Hello there, will this be for me?

Post by Graham001 »

Hi guys,
I thought I would use this introduction to ask for advice too.
My name’s Graham and I’m a 56 year old technophobe these days, despite being a computer engineer in a previous life many years ago (anybody remember DOS4 and Windows3.1).
Up until last week I have not had a computer at all for the last 6 years but I have been lucky enough to be gifted a desktop my friends no longer had room for as they are moving. Unfortunately the IT guy they asked to remove their data has not left a bootable partition on the drive so I have to do a complete install of an OS.
I am attracted to Linux as I had heard good things many years ago from friends in the IT business. The little research I have been able to do on my old iPhone is leading me to Mint. It appeals because it is not Windows and it is not as vulnerable to viruses or security violations.
The question is, before I start, is this something I can setup and leave? Or am I going to have to learn programming? I don’t mind the initial learning process but don’t have the time to get into serious studying.
I will only be using the PC for email, Web browsing, YouTube, video communications and possibly recording my guitar.

Part 2; If you think it is suitable for me, the next question is how do I get some form of installation media as I have no way to download the installation packages?

Thanks in advance for any advice you can offer.
I look forward to becoming part of this community if it turns out Mint is a good fit for me.
Cheers

Graham
deepakdeshp
Level 18
Level 18

Re: Hello there, will this be for me?

Post by deepakdeshp »

Install media is sometimes available with magazines . Otherwise you have to download. You don't need to learn programming to use Mint. Since yours is an ancient computer you can install xfce version.
https://linuxmint-installation-guide.re ... stall.html
Within a fortnight Mint 20 will be out. You can install it rather than present 19 version
If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help, and keeps the forum clean.
Regards,
Deepak

I am using Mint 20 Cinnamon 64 bit with AMD A8/7410 processor . Memory 8GB
kc1di
Level 16
Level 16

Post by kc1di »

Hello Graham,
Welcome to Linux Mint Forums.
If mint is the right choice of OS for the desktop you have will depend on it's hardware. How old is it? XFCE is a good choice for older hardware.
I've never done business with these folks but may be an option for you since you can't download the .iso and burn it. https://www.shoplinuxonline.com/mint.html This would require you system to have a dvd player installed.
an alternative may be to have a friend download the .iso and burn it to usb or dvd for you. Or you may even be able to do it at your local Library if they are open yet.
In any event you'll need to try the live session to see if your machine will play with it ok.
good luck.
Easy tips : https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.com/ Pjotr's Great Linux projects page.
Linux Mint Installation Guide: http://linuxmint-installation-guide.rea ... en/latest/
Registered Linux User #462608
cliffcoggin
Level 6
Level 6

Post by cliffcoggin »

Would your donor friends be willing to download your choice of Linux Mint installer onto a USB stick for you? 4 GB is big enough. Perhaps one each of Cinnamon, XFCE, and Mate so you can test them for suitability on your computer. The installer will take care of partitions and formats. You will need an Ethernet connection during installation, because the installer has only the bare minimum to get started and will need to update immediately for a fully functional system.

You won't need to learn any programming, though you should take heed of advice regarding BIOS and UEFI settings before starting the installation. I have been using Mint for three years and use only point & click.
Cliff Coggin
wallyUSA
Level 5
Level 5

Post by wallyUSA »

Graham, can you share info about the computer? DVD drive? USB? Make/model? Vintage? Any info from the bios? Some of this info might help.
Ulyana 20 Cinnamon 4.6.7 Kernel 5.4.0-52 (64 bit). {Dell XPS 13}

Please, if your query has been resolved, edit your first post and add <SOLVED> to the beginning of the subject line. This may help others find solutions.
Graham001
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Graham001 »

Hi guys,
thanks for taking the time to reply. I didn’t think about the age of the computer and how that would effect what I could use. That just shows how far away from IT I have managed to distance myself. 🥴
The computer is a Lenovo with Intel Core i3-4150 3.50GHZ processor, 8GB RAM, 465GB HDD and has both DVD player and USB ports.

Can you advise with that info which version will work best please. Then I can try and order a dvd from the link kc1di provided.

Thanks again. Your help is really appreciated.
deepakdeshp
Level 18
Level 18

Post by deepakdeshp »

Mint 20 Cinnamon , the flagship Mint flavor will work with it. This should be out by 15th July. The announcement will be in release section of the forum.
If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help, and keeps the forum clean.
Regards,
Deepak

kc1di
Level 16
Level 16

Post by kc1di »

Any version of Mint should work on that machine.
my advice is to get copies of each one and give them a try and see which one fits your needs best.
You will need an internet connection to fully appreciate the ability to add software and drivers though.
Good luck in your search.
Easy tips : https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.com/ Pjotr's Great Linux projects page.
Linux Mint Installation Guide: http://linuxmint-installation-guide.rea ... en/latest/
Registered Linux User #462608
Pierre
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Pierre »

Hi Graham,
welcome to our forum.
:)

unfortunately, you do need an working Computer .. even some-one-else's if necessary,
- - to write an ISO to either an DVD or to an usb stick.

if that can't happen .. then Buy an working copy .. as suggested by kc1di
:)

and if all that Fails .. there will be some-one, on this Forum, that would be willing to mail you an copy.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
BrianI
Level 1
Level 1

Post by BrianI »

Linux Mint should be a good match for your needs. My old HP Probook 6450b runs Mint 19.3 Cinnamon without any problems. Might be worthwhile having a look through any computer magazines in shops to see if they have discs of Mint 19.3 for sale. If not it should be possible to buy media for Mint online? Where are you located? In the UK? in the USA?
kelevra
Level 4
Level 4

Post by kelevra »

Hey Graham, welcome. I have an older laptop than you and have no problem running 19.3 Cinnamon.
If you are unable to get a copy locally of the version you decide on, I would gladly mail you a USB drive with the one you want. Just quote me here or send me a private message.
"None of us is as smart as all of us." Ken Blanchard

Mint 20 Cinnamon
Intel© Celeron© CPU B820 @ 1.70GHz 8GiB
deepakdeshp
Level 18
Level 18

Post by deepakdeshp »

kelevra wrote:
Thu Jun 25, 2020 8:51 am
Hey Graham, welcome. I have an older laptop than you and have no problem running 19.3 Cinnamon.
If you are unable to get a copy locally of the version you decide on, I would gladly mail you a USB drive with the one you want. Just quote me here or send me a private message.
That's great. Does the OP belong to your country? Using multiboot you can pack more than 1 bootable iso on a single USB.
Regards,
Deepak

Graham001
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Graham001 »

Hi guys, thanks again so much for all the helpful replies.
My next day off work is on Monday so I will have a look at computer magazines to see if any of them have a disk otherwise I will take kelevra up on the very kind offer.

Cheers

Graham
kelevra
Level 4
Level 4

Post by kelevra »

deepakdeshp wrote:
Thu Jun 25, 2020 2:48 pm
kelevra wrote:
That's great. Does the OP belong to your country? Using multiboot you can pack more than 1 bootable iso on a single USB.
It shouldn't matter what country Graham is from, should it? I get items from all over the world using Amazon and eBay. Quite recently too.
You are right, if Graham asks, I can send him the 3 different flavours.

Mint 20 Cinnamon
deepakdeshp
Level 18
Level 18

Post by deepakdeshp »

kelevra wrote:
Fri Jun 26, 2020 5:34 am
deepakdeshp wrote:
kelevra wrote:
It shouldn't matter what country Graham is from, should it? I get items from all over the world using Amazon and eBay. Quite recently too.
The Windows version of Multiboot was better than Ubuntu version.
Regards,
Deepak

kelevra
Level 4
Level 4

Post by kelevra »

deepakdeshp wrote:
Fri Jun 26, 2020 6:13 am
kelevra wrote:
deepakdeshp wrote:

Thanks, I found the windows version. I will use it with my VM if need be.

Mint 20 Cinnamon
deepakdeshp
Level 18
Level 18

Post by deepakdeshp »

kelevra wrote:
Fri Jun 26, 2020 6:52 am
deepakdeshp wrote:
kelevra wrote:

Multiboot isnt useful for vm. I quote from the web site
MultiBootUSB is a cross platform software written in python which allows you to install multiple live linux on a USB disk non destructively and option to uninstall distros.
Regards,
Deepak

kelevra
Level 4
Level 4

Post by kelevra »

deepakdeshp wrote:
Fri Jun 26, 2020 10:52 am
kelevra wrote:
Fri Jun 26, 2020 6:52 am
deepakdeshp wrote:

Multiboot isnt useful for vm. I quote from the web site
MultiBootUSB is a cross platform software written in python which allows you to install multiple live linux on a USB disk non destructively and option to uninstall distros.
I think you misunderstand. I don't have a windows machine, so I will use my VM to install YUMI and create the multiboot USB stick.

Mint 20 Cinnamon
Graham001
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Graham001 »

kelevra wrote:
Hi kelevra,
After scouring town today I was unable to find any magazines with a copy and none of the computer stores could help. Even a couple of small computer installation/maintenance companies whose motto were along the line of “any and all your IT needs met” couldn’t help.

So if your kind offer is still open I would be very grateful if you could send me that usb.
I will of course cover any costs for the stick, postage and your time.

Thanks

Graham

PS; I am in the UK if it makes a difference
deepakdeshp
Level 18
Level 18

Post by deepakdeshp »

You may use Windows multiboot to pack xfce Mate and Cinnamon on a single USB stick. From that any of the 3 can be booted and tested.
Regards,
Deepak

Return to “Introduce yourself”