Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
wpshooter
Level 6
Level 6

Xapp status applet

Post by wpshooter »

What (IF any) are the benefits (or potential problems) of adding "Xapp status applet" to panel as advised in the listing of system diagnostics under 19.3 mate ?

To add or not to add, that is the question ???

Yes, I Googled it but all the given info means nothing to me.

Thanks.
Mint 20 mate 64 bit.
SERVICE > competition
karlchen
Level 21
Level 21

Re: Xapp status applet

Post by karlchen »

Hi, wpshooter.

All that we learn about the Xapp status applet is what has been written in the section "XApps improvements" on the What's New in LM 19.3 page.
To be honest, reading that section from the Mint enduser perspective, the section does not really make clear, what the advantage of the Xapp status applet is. And it does not make clear, what would happen, if we ignored the request to add the Xapp status applet to the systray panel. Also it does not explain, why the Xapp status applet is not added automatically, although it is such a big improvement.
(I simply added it.)

Regards,
Karl
Linux Mint 19.3 64-bit Cinnamon, Total Commander 9.51 64-bit
Haß gleicht einer Krankheit, dem Miserere, wo man vorne herausgibt, was eigentlich hinten wegsollte. (Goethe)
LanceM
Level 10
Level 10

Post by LanceM »

I had a bit of trouble with it on a couple of Cinnamon systems until I refreshed the applet cache by right clicking the panel>Applets>Download .."out of date..." before adding it. What happened is I wound up with 2 Update Managers on the panel. To get rid of the one, I reset the Applets by opening them and clicked the circular arrow. That refresh tip came from the Mint 19.3 Upgrade page.
To mark this issue solved, go to your original 1st post and click the edit pencil and add [Solved] at the beginning of the title and click Submit.
Mint accepts donations: https://linuxmint.com/donors.php
gm10
Level 20
Level 20

Post by gm10 »

karlchen wrote:
Wed Jan 01, 2020 6:07 pm
All that we learn about the Xapp status applet is what has been written in the section "XApps improvements" on the What's New in LM 19.3 page.
To be honest, reading that section from the Mint enduser perspective, the section does not really make clear, what the advantage of the Xapp status applet is. And it does not make clear, what would happen, if we ignored the request to add the Xapp status applet to the systray panel. Also it does not explain, why the Xapp status applet is not added automatically, although it is such a big improvement.
Basically the only relevant change for the end user is that it supports loading some tray icons in higher resolutions (if such exist) on HiDPI screens, instead of just upscaling a lower resolution icon. As I found when looking at a 19.3 Xfce live environment in the course of a recent thread you may remember, it did however seem to me that icons were more fuzzy than without the applet. YMMV.

If you do not add the applet then things will simply stay as they are, assuming you have a notification applet on your panel. Otherwise you might end up not seeing some tray icons, because Mint removed the fallback to GTK's status icon.

I cannot say why they do not add the applet automatically - it may be a conscious decision to give you the choice, or they simply did not find the time to add such automation. A clean 19.3 install should come configured with it though.
smurphos
Level 17
Level 17

Post by smurphos »

gm10 wrote:
Wed Jan 01, 2020 9:31 pm
I cannot say why they do not add the applet automatically - it may be a conscious decision to give you the choice, or they simply did not find the time to add such automation.
They wouldn't be able to assume a default panel layout for an upgraded system and any auto add function would need to place the applet on a specific location on a specific panel. Any automation to 'guess' a correct location I'd suggest would be doomed to failure.
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.
gm10
Level 20
Level 20

Post by gm10 »

smurphos wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 1:25 am
gm10 wrote:
Wed Jan 01, 2020 9:31 pm
I cannot say why they do not add the applet automatically - it may be a conscious decision to give you the choice, or they simply did not find the time to add such automation.
They wouldn't be able to assume a default panel layout for an upgraded system and any auto add function would need to place the applet on a specific location on a specific panel. Any automation to 'guess' a correct location I'd suggest would be doomed to failure.
I don't think so. They support only 3 specific desktops/panels, so finding the notifications applet and putting it right next to it wouldn't be hard. The current solution always requires user intervention, whereas the automatic solution may require user intervention only in some specific cases, so that sounds preferable to me. No big deal either way - might as well teach users how to add an applet. ;)
smurphos
Level 17
Level 17

Post by smurphos »

I didn't have the stock systray applet on my panel prior to upgrade.... :wink:
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.
gm10
Level 20
Level 20

Post by gm10 »

smurphos wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 5:28 am
I didn't have the stock systray applet on my panel prior to upgrade.... :wink:
In which case the code could just have abandoned an automatic addition and popped up the message it does now, maybe with an additional warning that if you didn't want status icons before, you probably won't want them now. ;)
danindenver
Level 1
Level 1

Post by danindenver »

Xapp status applet

I recently upgraded from 19.2 to 19.3.
After initially noticing very little difference, I ran across a problem with my Mate panels getting trashed. My Shut Down button and my Window List applet disappeared (or got compressed to a state where it was effectively gone. I'm not sure which).
It was a struggle to understand what the Window List applet even does.
And I thought that the Shut Down button just came with the package and was always there.

I tried adding the Shut Down button, again, but it wouldn't go to the far right end of the panel, where it has always been in the past.
Plus, when I reboot, the icons move around or disappear again!

I've looked through dozens of forum posts, most going back to 2013, where people ask how to edit the panels, but no one seems to know.
One of the most popular non-answers is "I use Cinnamon, so I don't know how it works in Mate".

(I tried Cinnamon once. I use Mate because I want a stable system. Same reason I use Linux Mint.)

I have been searching the forums for a nightmarish 4 weeks, but everyone simply says to right-click, unlock, and move things.
It just didn't work!
The Notification icons took over my Mate panel!
They cannot be moved and wouldn't let me do anything with them, including moving other applets past them.

One day, I tried mate-tweak, which gave me the option to remove the Xapp status applet.
So, I tried it.
Suddenly my panel started behaving normally again.

My conclusion is that I would ADAMANTLY advise NOT to install the Xapp status applet.

I don't know whose idea it was to invent such an evil applet.
My main reason in coming here is to search out how to "complain" about it.
I'm not sure if I can even submit a bug report, because I don't understand how it got triggered in the first place.

Just please don't use Xapp status applet.
smurphos
Level 17
Level 17

Post by smurphos »

danindenver wrote:
Sat Jun 27, 2020 9:02 pm
I have been searching the forums for a nightmarish 4 weeks, but everyone simply says to right-click, unlock, and move things.

My main reason in coming here is to search out how to "complain" about it.
I'm not sure if I can even submit a bug report, because I don't understand how it got triggered in the first place.
You really should have posted a topic asking for help - that's what the forums are for - I'm sure someone could have helped you sort it out. If you weren't able to modify your MATE panel that implies a deeper issue with your install.

Anyway should you wish to raise a bug-report - here is where it would go - https://github.com/linuxmint/xapps/issues

But it does sound like you need more information - you'd need to be willing to try adding the applet back on to the panel to try and resolve the issue. If you want to go there and it goes horribly wrong make a support request. Forum members may be able to help you track down the root cause. Given the difficulties you describes in modifying your panel layout I suspect the applet causing issues with the panel layout isn't the root cause, but is a symptom.
danindenver
Level 1
Level 1

Post by danindenver »

smurphos wrote:
Sun Jun 28, 2020 12:07 am
You really should have posted a topic asking for help - that's what the forums are for - I'm sure someone could have helped you sort it out. If you weren't able to modify your MATE panel that implies a deeper issue with your install.
I hear you, but I understand that one of the first steps in asking for help is to get as much info as possible by searching the forums.

First, I didn't understand enough about the problem to even phrase a question.

Second, I see other posters asking about panels - I have looked at these for years - and virtually no one seems to have any clue about editing Mate panels - at least in LM19.3.
I've been through more than you want to know, with resetting panels, rewinding in Timeshift, and I've probably obscured or made the problem worse, as you can imagine. And I've searched and searched through tons of posts, not seeing answers or not knowing what I was looking for.

Third, the biggest obstacle may be that some folks in these forums are a bit judgemental about newbies not understanding their systems.
Someone got dressed down for using the term "system tray", which is where I thought I was looking for a solution to my problem.
So, I didn't want to fall afoul of this until I got a better understanding.

I believe I am now seeing progress with this problem when searching for "Xapp status applet"
smurphos wrote:
Anyway should you wish to raise a bug-report - here is where it would go - https://github.com/linuxmint/xapps/issues

But it does sound like you need more information - you'd need to be willing to try adding the applet back on to the panel to try and resolve the issue. If you want to go there and it goes horribly wrong make a support request. Forum members may be able to help you track down the root cause. Given the difficulties you describes in modifying your panel layout I suspect the applet causing issues with the panel layout isn't the root cause, but is a symptom.
I may try this next, but I have spent so much time, trying to track down problems in LM19, I can see why so many people are hesitant to switch to Linux.

Thanks for responding!
smurphos
Level 17
Level 17

Post by smurphos »

danindenver wrote:
Sun Jun 28, 2020 2:21 pm
smurphos wrote:
I hear you, but I understand that one of the first steps in asking for help is to get as much info as possible by searching the forums.

First, I didn't understand enough about the problem to even phrase a question.
Sure - but 4 hours would be excessive time trying to find the a clue via a forum search, never mind 4 weeks... :)

The forums are generally a friendly environment, sure you can find examples were some responses appear less than friendly but sometimes even then it might be just interpretation. Anyway don't feel bad about not finding it easy to modify the mate panel. It's panel management is IMHO the least intuitive of the three desktop environments and even the official MATE wiki has a blank page where the panel info should be https://wiki.mate-desktop.org/#!pages/docs.md :wink:

Return to “Installation & Boot”