Cannot install Teamviewer Solved

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
slinger1953
Level 4
Level 4

Cannot install Teamviewer Solved

Post by slinger1953 »

Both my friend and I downloaded Teamviewer from this address:-

https://www.teamviewer.com/en/solutions ... top/linux/

My download went very well, but my friend got the following message “No Window programme to open this type of File” when trying to open it.
We are both running Linux Mint 19. we have both been using Teamviewer a lot but over the past year but for some reason he had ended up with a different version, so we both uninstalled to reinstall so that we were compatible, but now we are stumped, any advice please?

Thank you..
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
LM19 Tara 64 Bit Mate 1.20.1
Acer AMD A10-7800 Radeon R7, 12 Compute Cores 4C+8G x 4
hydrurga
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Cannot install Teamviewer

Post by hydrurga »

It sounds like your friend may be using the Wine File Explorer to try to open the file, or perhaps the file associations are a bit mucked up in Mint.

But first things first - what is the exact name of the file that your friend downloaded from TeamViewer?
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

the Teamviewer program does seem to be an type of ./wine based program,
IE: it's the Windows program, in an ./wine package, of some sort.

you need to Install the Linux version, which is an *.DEB file:
https://www.teamviewer.com/en/download/linux/

NB: you want the Ubuntu, Debian version .. in either 64bit ( suggested )
or the 32bit, if your machine .. is an 32bit machine.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
hydrurga
Level 5
Level 5

Post by hydrurga »

Pierre wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 10:36 pm the Teamviewer program does seem to be an type of ./wine based program,
IE: it's the Windows program, in an ./wine package, of some sort.

you need to Install the Linux version, which is an *.DEB file:
https://www.teamviewer.com/en/download/linux/

NB: you want the Ubuntu, Debian version .. in either 64bit ( suggested )
or the 32bit, if your machine .. is an 32bit machine.
Just to clarify, you don't need Wine installed to run TeamViewer on Linux.
slinger1953
Level 4
Level 4

Post by slinger1953 »

Thank you hydruga, I’ll contact him and get more info.
We double checked that he has 64bit

Pierre, thank you also, we both went to your link, and did download the .deb file for 64bit, my installation went well, at his download arrow at the top right (blue) it did indicate that the file was downloaded o.k
My option to “open file with” offered Gdebi Package Installer (default)
My friends option “open file with” offered Wine Windows Programme (default) with no other options.
After a discussion (rightly or wrongly) he downloaded the Gdebi file from https://itsfoss.com/gdebi-default-ubunt ... re-center/
installing via the Terminal.
It still showed Wine Windows Programme (default) with no other options
Any further advice please?
I might add that I am helping him via telephone and he has difficulty typing, hence us using Teamviewer.

Thank you
hydrurga
Level 5
Level 5

Post by hydrurga »

Resort to the command line.

Open the terminal for the folder where the downloaded deb file resides. It's usually right-click->Open in Terminal or similar when viewing the folder in your file browser.

Then enter the following:

Code: Select all

sudo gdebi-gtk teamviewer_15.7.6_amd64.deb
(replacing the teamviewer deb filename with the actual version your friend has downloaded - tab completion is your friend here)

That will allow you to install the package and, hopefully, gain access so that you can get on with the next bit which is solving why the right-click install isn't working.

Let us know how you get on.
majpooper
Level 8
Level 8

Post by majpooper »

Just FYI - when Teamviewer works it is great but then . . . . . yeah, but if Teamviewer for God knows what decides you are a commercial enterprise then it stops working. This has happened to me too many times now. Several folks on this form have recommended AnyDesk - I am using it now so far with none of the TeamViewer hassles.
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Post by AZgl1800 »

majpooper wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 1:55 pm Just FYI - when Teamviewer works it is great but then . . . . . yeah, but if Teamviewer for God knows what decides you are a commercial enterprise then it stops working. This has happened to me too many times now. Several folks on this form have recommended AnyDesk - I am using it now so far with none of the TeamViewer hassles.
I tried AnyDesk, and removed it.... could not talk people through the install elsewhere. And in trying to use it on other PCs in my home, it crashed repeatedly. I had to go to the target PC and start it up again.

I installed Teamviewer on my friends machine, at their homes, and I always set it up with my own personal password for UnAttended Remote control and for it to startup with boot.

You have to be very careful about what you click on, when installing Teamviewer, or it will class you as a commercial entity.....
so far, I have not had any problems, provided I am the one who does the installs..... for some reason, when my friends try to do the install for themselves, they muck it up, and it says Commercial use....
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
majpooper
Level 8
Level 8

Post by majpooper »

So far AnyDesk is working OK - that said I have only been using for a short time. Sure would like to exactly what the tips are to keep TV from designating personal use instances as commercial. For me things start out OK with TV the invariably the Commercial use bugaboo hits. :(
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20

Post by AZgl1800 »

majpooper wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 3:11 pm So far AnyDesk is working OK - that said I have only been using for a short time. Sure would like to exactly what the tips are to keep TV from designating personal use instances as commercial. For me things start out OK with TV the invariably the Commercial use bugaboo hits. :(
I can't remember the scheme of the questions it presents as the install progresses...

but, I am very careful to Select Personal Use Only,

I also select Full Remote control,
and install my own Personal password ( as an Administrator? ) so that will bypass the need to use the password present on the Left Side Panel.... when that one is used, I have run into the Commercial problem.... I never use the password that TV presents in the left side panel.
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

slinger1953 - - has your Friend's machine .. got any ./wine programs Installed ?.
- - either the ./wine program itself, or Play on Linux or even something else ?.

as your machine is doing things correctly & it seems that your Friends machine has the extension incorrectly marked,
& so it isn't using the Gdebi installer .. as your machine, is correctly doing.

so, can your Friend R/click that *.DEB file and click on 'Open with other Application',
and then select the Gdebi program .. as the New Default Program ?. check that box .. at the bottom, of the screen.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
slinger1953
Level 4
Level 4

Post by slinger1953 »

Hello everyone,
My friend does not have Wine installed, but as i said earlier, rightly or wrongly, he downloaded the Gdebi file from https://itsfoss.com/gdebi-default-ubunt ... re-center/ installing via the Terminal.
Following earlier advice we downloaded Teamviewer again and then found that he had an option to install via Gdebi attachment. this he did and it went perfectly, so now thanks to this Forum we are now back up and running, thank you all for the advice offered.
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20

Post by AZgl1800 »

slinger1953 wrote: Sat Jun 27, 2020 6:06 pm Hello everyone,
My friend does not have Wine installed, but as i said earlier, rightly or wrongly, he downloaded the Gdebi file from https://itsfoss.com/gdebi-default-ubunt ... re-center/ installing via the Terminal.
Following earlier advice we downloaded Teamviewer again and then found that he had an option to install via Gdebi attachment. this he did and it went perfectly, so now thanks to this Forum we are now back up and running, thank you all for the advice offered.
One comment:

I never, ever, download TV from any source other than the Teamviewer.com website.
I just simply do NOT trust them, and maybe that is why some folks hit the commercial problem?

Matter of fact, I have made this a point for any application. I always go to the Manufacturer's website and follow their links.
hydrurga
Level 5
Level 5

Post by hydrurga »

AZgl1500 wrote: Sat Jun 27, 2020 8:16 pm
One comment:

I never, ever, download TV from any source other than the Teamviewer.com website.
I just simply do NOT trust them, and maybe that is why some folks hit the commercial problem?

Matter of fact, I have made this a point for any application. I always go to the Manufacturer's website and follow their links.
Good advice. Just a note that so do I, but occasionally I still hit the commercial problem. Strangely enough, I never hit it when using a Windows version of TeamViewer in a VirtualBox VM so that's my fallback if the Linux version gets flagged as being used for commercial purposes.

Of course, I don't actually use TeamViewer for commercial purposes, just for supporting friends. I'm not sure how they could even determine that in any case.
majpooper
Level 8
Level 8

Post by majpooper »

hydrurga wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 5:08 am
AZgl1500 wrote: Sat Jun 27, 2020 8:16 pm
One comment:

Good advice. Just a note that so do I, but occasionally I still hit the commercial problem. Strangely enough, I never hit it when using a Windows version of TeamViewer in a VirtualBox VM so that's my fallback if the Linux version gets flagged as being used for commercial purposes.

Of course, I don't actually use TeamViewer for commercial purposes, just for supporting friends. I'm not sure how they could even determine that in any case.
I have often wondered what sort of measuring algorithm TV uses to determine commercial vs personal use. I can only speculate that it may be frequency of use - x times in y days for >z period of time - something like that. Also I wonder if it is not a ploy to get folks to shell out the bucks for a commercial licence even if they use TV just to help friends and family.
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Cannot install Teamviewer Solved

Post by AZgl1800 »

Oh,

I just now thought of what might be causing the Commercial Aspects of their algorithm.

IF, you decide to group several people together with you as the major Remote Control person, then TV can conclude that you are a Commercial entity?

I used to keep all of my friends grouped together so I could watch and see who is online.

Then the though hit me, hey, that is what is happening....
After that, I never associate any other TV with my copy of TV, and the problem has never come up again.
majpooper
Level 8
Level 8

Post by majpooper »

AZgl1500 wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 2:17 pm Oh,

I just now thought of what might be causing the Commercial Aspects of their algorithm.

IF, you decide to group several people together with you as the major Remote Control person, then TV can conclude that you are a Commercial entity?

I used to keep all of my friends grouped together so I could watch and see who is online.

After that, I never associate any other TV with my copy of TV, and the problem has never come up again.
Interesting . . . . I never consciously grouped the folks I support together - as a matter of fact this is the first I even heard of grouping folks together or there being such a thing as Remote Control entity. So how do you not associate other TV entities with you?
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20

Post by AZgl1800 »

majpooper wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 11:00 am
AZgl1500 wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 2:17 pm Oh,

Interesting . . . . I never consciously grouped the folks I support together - as a matter of fact this is the first I even heard of grouping folks together or there being such a thing as Remote Control entity. So how do you not associate other TV entities with you?
using the Same email address on the client's PC that you use on your PC....
that turns out to be a super bad idea.
although, it allowed me to see my clients in a small window to the left side of the screen.
If they were online, they popup in the window....

I quit that a couple years back, and no more troubles.... I use their email for their TV install now.
BUT, I do the install for them, and I create my Own Private Remote Control Password....
( for the sake of my sanity, that Remote Control Password is the same on all clients, but no one but me is ever aware it is available )

now, all you need do is keep a record of their TV Identity, and when it asks for their password ( the one their TV window presents to them ), do not use that password, use your own Private Password.
works like a champ.

You MUST be on their PC to do the setup for your Remote Password, the menu to do that is not accessible remotely.
It used to be a few years back, and when they started charging for using TV, the Remote Admin window disappeared.
majpooper
Level 8
Level 8

Post by majpooper »

AZgl1500 wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:35 pm

You MUST be on their PC to do the setup for your Remote Password, the menu to do that is not accessible remotely.
It used to be a few years back, and when they started charging for using TV, the Remote Admin window disappeared.
You are a very clever fellow indeed - none of this was apparent to me - THX AZ - I will give TV a another try.
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20

Post by AZgl1800 »

majpooper wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 3:35 pm
AZgl1500 wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:35 pm

You are a very clever fellow indeed - none of this was apparent to me - THX AZ - I will give TV a another try.
ahem,
just trying to figure out why TV professed everyone but me is Commercial....
I finally decided it has to be them not being 'geeks' that they click on the Automatic Setups, which will get you tagged in a way you do NOT want.

I always choose 'Custom'

Return to “Software & Applications”