What's cooking tonight?

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

What's cooking tonight?

Post by Pjotr »

What's your diner tonight? Pics or it didn't happen!

Tonight, as I have to cook for myself (the wife is out), it's an all-time favourite of mine: brown rice, with lots of fresh paksoi speed-cooked in a wok with some green olive oil and freshly rasped garlic, and a hamburger made of high-quality Irish beef. A bit of aroma powder over the rice, and bob's your uncle. Cooked in about 20 minutes.

Pic:

I especially love the crispy juicy taste of those paksoi stems. The hamburger also has an excellent firm bite. Yum!

For desert, a huge mug of strong coffee made from freshly ground Arabica beans (I grind the required amount of beans each time I make coffee), lightened up with a dash of milk. That puts the marrow back in a man's bones. :mrgreen:

Pic:
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 07, 2022 4:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 30 days after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
gittiest personITW
Level 12
Level 12

Re: What's cooking tonight?

Post by gittiest personITW »

Can't bring myself to take a pic of my food but it was a lovely tomato pasta dish with a few olives, home grown garlic and oregano and basil. Lashings of olive oil and some garlic bread delicately baked to perfection.
Ah, yes. Coffe. Thanks for reminding me.
dm999

Post by dm999 »

^ same here, no photo from me either.

Cod fishcake with salad and potato salad, followed by a bowl of grapes, chopped banana and natural (home-made) yogurt. Sat out in the garden and ate it. :D
DoodMann
Level 4
Level 4

Post by DoodMann »

No photo, but the best food here in the Philippines. Called Adobong Manok. In English, it's Chicken Adobo. Proven Delicious. You should try it, vere basic to cook. Search the web for the recipe, or PM me if you want. :D
My System: ASUS K52F
Specs:
Intel i3 370 M
Intel HD Graphics
500GB Seagate HDD
Linux Mint 20.2
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Lady Fitzgerald »

Also no photo (besides being kinda weird to take photo of one's meals, it's hard to photograph a meal I haven't "cooked" yet). A Banquet Spaghetti and meatball dinner with a sugar free chocolate pudding cup for desert followed by a 12oz. Caffeine Free Diet Coke (I really need to go grocery shopping tomorrow).
Last edited by Lady Fitzgerald on Tue Jun 30, 2020 4:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jeannie

To ensure the safety of your data, you have to be proactive, not reactive, so, back it up!
lsemmens
Level 11
Level 11

Post by lsemmens »

You'll have to wait until my dinner is processed and come out the other end. (I've already eaten it, you see) Of course, the picture may not be too appetising, by then.................;)
Fully mint Household
Out of my mind - please leave a message
kelevra
Level 4
Level 4

Post by kelevra »

I too need to do some grocery shopping. I had beef Raman noodles and a croissant with peanut butter for dessert. I chased my dinner down with grape juice.
"None of us is as smart as all of us." Ken Blanchard

Mint 21 Cinnamon
AMD© R5 2600 @ stock 16GiB

Mint 20.2 Cinnamon
Intel© Celeron© CPU B820 @ 1.70GHz 8GiB
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

Paksoi is lovely. I often use it in stir fries. I also love to get similar-but-different vegetables at a Chinese store, there's a whole range of options, and they're all good.

Yesterday I made a new-to-me dish consisting mainly of broccoli, chopped very fine (the recipe called it 'broccoli couscous'), and then fried with peas, chick peas, and some mint leaves and feta cheese. It was nice. The recipe sounded a bit bland to me, so I added a sauteed onion and some garlic too.
For desert we had some fresh strawberries and Biogarde yogurt. Summery, fresh and healthy!

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
Portreve
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Portreve »

Heute Abends Essen ist Detroit deep dish Pizza aus Jet's Pizza.

Es ist sehr lecker!

Hopefully, I will make something myself for tomorrow.
Flying this flag in support of freedom 🇺🇦

Recommended keyboard layout: English (intl., with AltGR dead keys)

Podcasts: Linux Unplugged, Destination Linux

Also check out Thor Hartmannsson's Linux Tips YouTube Channel
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Pjotr »

Tonight was another night on which I had to cook for myself.... A variation on the meal of two nights ago; fresh spinach instead of paksoi:

Note that after stir-frying the spinach, that was all that was left of 350 grammes of fresh spinach leaves.... It never ceases to amaze me, how much spinach shrinks upon cooking. :shock:

But never mind, it's a great vegetable for spring and early summer. Its strong taste, underlined by fresh garlic and the green olive oil it has been stir-fried in, well matches the fine taste of the Black Angus Irish beef burger.

After letting it sink in for half an hour, I'll probably start grinding the beans for the usual huge mug of strong coffee. Then a short walk in the woods: good for the digestion, and the woods haven't lost all of their spring beauty yet....

Later this evening, after my wife has returned, we'll probably open that promising bottle of Spanish red wine (grapes: Syrah and Tempranillo). A simple wine, but with a good taste when properly slurped. La dolce vita.
Portreve
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Portreve »

Pjotr wrote: Sat Jun 27, 2020 1:21 pm paksoi
I had to Google this word. Evidently, it is also known as "bok choy" which I've at least heard of, but I didn't know what that was, either, so now I know: Chinese cabbage.

I like the recipe you described. I love spinach, and garlic, and... yeah, never mind, I like a lot of stuff. :!:

I've never had a Spanish wine. I am so depraved I mean deprived. :lol: I guess I'll have to go to Total Wine and see what they've got.

Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Pjotr »

Portreve wrote: Sat Jun 27, 2020 9:35 pm I've never had a Spanish wine. I am so depraved I mean deprived. :lol: I guess I'll have to go to Total Wine and see what they've got.
Look for one made from Tempranillo grapes. The bottle we opened yesterday was a bit flat-tasting, probably because I had inadvertently cooled it down too much....

I really need to buy me a dedicated wine fridge one of these days. But where to put it? :?
dm999

Post by dm999 »

Last night I made a vegetable Chilli - onions, red and yellow peppers, tinned tomatoes, mixed beans, mushrooms, tomato puree and chilli powder. I made a double whack so there's now one in the freezer for another day.
Served with white rice and grated mature Cheddar cheese.
Tasty but not too spicy hot 8)
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

I made a nice vegetable curry today... I used broccoli, a sweet pepper, some hot peppers, sweet potatoes, a red onion and a zucchini. For proteins, I added some mushroom-flavoured seitan I made earlier this week. I used a massaman (red) curry paste and served it over brown rice. Good stuff!

For desert, we had some yogurt and strawberries. Proper Dutch ones that have flavour. Gotta enjoy summer while it's here.

dm999, your chilli sounds delicious. Have you ever tried adding a spoonful of cocoa powder? Makes for a lovely rich flavour.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
dm999

Post by dm999 »

Moem wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 3:56 pm dm999, your chilli sounds delicious. Have you ever tried adding a spoonful of cocoa powder? Makes for a lovely rich flavour.
No, but next time I make chilli I'll put some in - thanks for the tip Moem.

BTW, your broccoli recipe from Friday sounds good, I think I'll have a go at that one soon :D
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Lady Fitzgerald »

dm999 wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 5:05 am Last night I made a vegetable Chilli - onions, red and yellow peppers, tinned tomatoes, mixed beans, mushrooms, tomato puree and chilli powder. I made a double whack so there's now one in the freezer for another day.
Chili is also good on pasta. I serve (cough canned cough) chili over rotini every once in a while. I used to be able to get spaghetti and chili at Bob's Big Boy a few decades ago. They had the best tasting chili for that.
Jeannie

To ensure the safety of your data, you have to be proactive, not reactive, so, back it up!
gittiest personITW
Level 12
Level 12

Post by gittiest personITW »

Some freshly dug potatoes in a homemade mayo made with soya milk, vinegar, parsley, garlic, lemon juice, soy sauce, olive oil, paprika.
Like the vikings of old, they would have to die with a sword in their hand to reach Asgard, well I would have to die with a spud in my gob or I'm not going.
Oh wow. I'm all potatoed out and my belly is resting on the keyboard

..................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................asdfjas/ldfkjasdlfjasd/fljasdlfjasdlfj asldfjas/ldfj as/ldfj as/ldfja s/ldfkj as/ldf jas/ldf jas/ld fjas/ldf jals/f jals/dfj als/df jas/ldfj as/ldf jasld/f jas/ldfj asld fj/asldfja/sdflj asdlfj as/flj asldfj a/sldfj a/sdlfj alrfkjwaorihjaoifjd ;lafa;dfsa nvknzxckvn xzkvasdfa

Just letting the sourdough prove then in an hour or so, pop it in the oven for an amazing 'artisan' white sourdough and seedy loaf.
Yes, this evening is carb overload evening.
dm999

Post by dm999 »

Lady Fitzgerald wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 5:01 pmChili is also good on pasta. I serve (cough canned cough) chili over rotini every once in a while. I used to be able to get spaghetti and chili at Bob's Big Boy a few decades ago. They had the best tasting chili for that.
Agreed, spaghetti is my absolute favourite accompaniment to chilli :D

I had to look up rotini, I've never seen that type before, though we do have fusilli here (UK) which is similar in shape.
Portreve
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Portreve »

Lady Fitzgerald wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 5:01 pm
dm999 wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 5:05 am Last night I made a vegetable Chilli - onions, red and yellow peppers, tinned tomatoes, mixed beans, mushrooms, tomato puree and chilli powder. I made a double whack so there's now one in the freezer for another day.
Chili is also good on pasta. I serve (cough canned cough) chili over rotini every once in a while. I used to be able to get spaghetti and chili at Bob's Big Boy a few decades ago. They had the best tasting chili for that.
*cough* Skyline Chili *cough*

Moem wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 3:56 pm I made a nice vegetable curry today... I used broccoli, a sweet pepper, some hot peppers, sweet potatoes, a red onion and a zucchini. For proteins, I added some mushroom-flavoured seitan I made earlier this week. I used a massaman (red) curry paste and served it over brown rice. Good stuff!

For desert, we had some yogurt and strawberries. Proper Dutch ones that have flavour. Gotta enjoy summer while it's here.
That all sounds so good. I'd be a bit leery of seitan (yes, I had to go look that one up as well) if you have certain medical conditions.

Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

Portreve wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 9:20 pm That all sounds so good. I'd be a bit leery of seitan (yes, I had to go look that one up as well) if you have certain medical conditions.
Well, sure, if you're gluten intolerant or allergic, a dish made out of wheat gluten is a thing to stay away from. For the rest of us, it's a pretty good way to get proteins. I like it because it absorbs flavours well, and it has a nice chewy bite.

Return to “Open Chat”